Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need lessons, no money...

Thumbs down need lessons, no money...

Well, here's the deal... I'm 14, and I really want martial arts lessons... The lowest price I have found, is $80 and that is too much for my parents also (we are kind of poor)... Does anyone have a solution to my problem, or some online techniques? Thanks! Peace!
    For I am one with the universe...

sorry dude, if nothing is cheap, gonna have to wait to get a job.

check the local community centers. they usually have something, be it karate, judo, etc. from my experience, the judo taught in community centers is pretty good. check it out - don't just write it off because it's at a community center. the price will be next to nothing, and if you find one of the good ones, you'll get good training.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

For now, you can standing in ZhanZhong(standing postures) and it will be easier to get info. on how the Zhan Zhong, just on one or two of it. It can help you build foundations that you will need for Taichi and other internal arts.

If you want other kungfu, you can do: hourse stance, bow stance, sitting stance, 7 star stance, and one leg stance. You can find info on that easier, and those foundations are common in most kungfu.

hmmm.. well u can find some stuff on the net and train by yourself if you absolutely can't afford lessons, but I reccomend you check the community centers, ymca's and what not in your area. My bro goes to Shotokan for like 25 bucks a month at the Y.
    Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance - Yang Jwing Ming

Keep looking little dude, you'll find it.

But if you've not done anything before, I wouldn't try to learn on line. I think I'd concentrate on being fit and strong, and that way you'll have a good base when you get into MA, rather than building bad habits through not having a teacher.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

One possibility that works for a lot of people is offering to work for your sifu in exchange for training.

For example, you might end up doing cleaning or even accounting.

Check your public libraries or blockbuster video or some martial arts shops (I know one that actually rents martial arts instructional videos).

This is a temporary solution until you can get some money and a job. You'll need someone to instruct you and make correction on technical alignments. Videos cannot do that.

Save some money and find a seminar in basics and practice them.

Ask around a college community or a China Town area of a city. Check the bulletin boards of the Chinese markets.

Find a school and be willing to trade off work time for instruction (be prepared to sweep and clean toilets).

Paul Lin offers good advice regarding stance work, however, you will eventually need someone to check and make alignment corrections.

I don't want to discourage you but without personal one on one instruction, its impossible to learn good Chinese martial arts.

If I were starting as you are, I would check out Liang Shou Yu or Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's videos and then eventually find my way to their seminars.

Good luck.
    Last edited by RAF; 06-26-2002 at 05:22 AM.

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    One possibility that works for a lot of people is offering to work for your sifu in exchange for training.

For example, you might end up doing cleaning or even accounting.
    Good idea - we have a couple of guys that do that
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

How about you get rid of your computer at the local pawn shop to pay for some lessons and go every day, your sifu would probably admire that and just ask for work in exchange for lessons.
    Toughen my sinews, harden my bones,
    Make my blood flow freely,
    I will then be young forever
    In touch with the realm of goads.

You might also want to try a related sport, like wrestling, through your school.

And if you are sincere, there are many good teachers who will let you work for your lessons.

If you really want to learn a MA then you should be willing to divest yourself from some of your material possessions like CDs, stereo, clothes, etc. to help defray the cost of training. Also, go out and get a part time job to help pay for it.

If you're not willing to make some sacrifices now (because they'll just get harder once you *do* start training, if you want to be something more than a run-of-the-mill armchair warrior...) then maybe you aren't mentally ready for MA.

Stay away from trying to learn MA from videos or (heaven forbid) on-line. You really need a flesh & blood instructor to show you your mistakes.

If all that fails there's always tae bo.
    K. Mark Hoover

Yes find yourself a cheap local instructor - don't know about the USA but you can usually find judo, karate and japanese arts taught very cheaply - this is just a generalisation though. I reckon a grounding in judo/jiu jitsu would stand you in good stead even if you wanted to do more of a striking art later on, personally I don't find karate that appealing but many do.

Smile

Lots of good suggestions. HuangKaiVun mentioned working for your tuition. Gabriel mentioned the YMCA. Also check out any youth or community centers in your area. Community Colleges usually offer something. All of the above will be inexpensive or the tuition will be on a sliding scale. Keep looking.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

cut grass = $$$
    wash cars = $$$
    walk dogs = $$$
    shovel snow = $$$
    rake leaves = $$$