Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Att: Grapplers! Advice needed.

There is nothing wrong with cheesy one liners
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    chingei--before you blow a fuse, (and I agree that the sprawl isn't a magical answer--all sorts of hip shifting needed to make it REALLY work) how about this---

If you had a guy who really didn't want to concentrate on grappling, but didn't want to be ignorant either, what basics would you teach him?
    too late. brain juice all over the walls.

anyway, no great loss.

If the guy didn't really want to concenrtate on grappling, he's gonna get tuned up sooner or later but...

timing and distance. an awareness of range and how to move off at angles like a boxer. an effective jab, and how to move off of it. If he doesn't want to bother to learn, he'd best do all he can to keep out of the kitchen. Anybody who chases for long enough is bound to make a mistake, and anybody can be knocked out given the right circumstances.

which, upon further review, means I wouldn't teach him any grappling. a little knowledge can be...
    frankly, I wouldn't bet much on this theoretical person if he were so determined not to learn what he needs.
    Last edited by chingei; 06-21-2002 at 03:09 PM.

Re: ANSWERS FOR ALL

Originally posted by Unstoppable
    Once you can hit the wrestler, the wrestler cannot get to you because he is AT THE END OF YOUR ARM (FOOT WHATEVER) AND NOT GRAPPLIONG YOU!!! THIS IS very important.

ANU QUESTIONS?

Originally posted by LEGEND
    Chingel...go play in the street little boy.
    LOL...u haven't done much for this forum other than make 1 or 2 sentences remark. Stop being a biatch and making cheesy one liners and bring up a topic or a descent rebuttal for discussion...can't do it??? Go to skool then.

whoooo! just got back in from the street. That was fun. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any "skools". Odd that. I looked everywhere for a "skool", but there were no "skools" around. I even looked in the yellow pages under "skool", but no luck.

any other advice, unkotare?

Chingei--

Fair enough--I'll buy that. Either learn what you need to learn or don't. But don't blame 'me' for the consequences of your martial skill 'holes,' yeah?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Chingei--

Fair enough--I'll buy that. Either learn what you need to learn or don't. But don't blame 'me' for the consequences of your martial skill 'holes,' yeah?
    on the nose.

NAMAT

Holy sheet!Thats some deadly stuff.

It's real funny to hear everyones response to a takedown.

If you can't sprawl or at least go to a clinch you will be put on your back.

If the shoot is done properly, the "shooter" is way to low to be punched let alone ko'ed like some people think.Maybe there's some confusion between a high clinch and a proper double low single or ankle pick.

Here's a sprawl in all its glory.

Would you ask your men to carry a weapon that was “theorized” to work but had never been field tested to meet the high demands of modern day special operations? Of course not! Then why should we “assume” that the stunts and routines that are taught in most unarmed combative courses will work for real? The fact of the matter is that most of these courses, regardless of their many colorful origins, offer techniques that have not been “battle tested” against aggressive, non-compliant individuals.

not me but i'll give ya' what you want....

LOL at Gabriel LITERALLY responding to "any advice you can give would be appreciated!!!"

If you had a guy who really didn't want to concentrate on grappling, but didn't want to be ignorant either, what basics would you teach him?
    1) The guillotine choke standing then into guard
    2) Underarm/Overarm bear hug escape
    3) Side mount control
    4) Getting the mount
    5) Americana lock from the mount
    6) Arm-control hip throw
    7) Scissor sweep from the guard
    8) Head lock escape to arm bar
    9) Knee on stomach mount and pivot
    10) Headlock on the ground escape using frame then leg scissors choke
    11) Head control sprawl (see Seizan kata) f/u knee to head
    12) Upa (although you should never allow your opponent to mount)

That's my 2 centavos. I know you didn't ask for it from me, but I gave it to you!
    Peace!!!
    Last edited by omegapoint; 06-24-2002 at 06:45 PM.

Hey, sorry about the delay in getting back with you guys. I only post from my desk at work and I actually took a day off and couldn't get back with you until now. Nonetheless, pretty good responses. Its not that I don't want to learn grappling. I just really don't have the time to devote to two arts. I pretty much wanted to learn to defend against being taken down. Since I know that no defense is 100%, I felt I should know what I have to do in order to get back up if I am taken down. Now, remember, I am not thinking competition. I am thinking about being attacked on the street. Frankly, I don't feel that the ground is a good place to spend a lot of time on the street. Just a personal opinion. I would much rather be on my feet. I will definitely keep these suggestions in mind when I workout with my friend. Thanks again!

By the way, Merryprankster, you hit it right on the head. I don't have the time to devote to becoming an "expert" on grappling. By the same token, however, I don't want to be unfamiliar with it either. Just trying to level the playing field as much as possible, you know? Peace!