Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUDO in Beijing, Shanghai, CHINA ???

Lightbulb JUDO in Beijing, Shanghai, CHINA ???

Hey guys, I am a judo player and I will be visiting China in teh summer for two months - specifically Beijing and Shanghai! And I wanted to train judo with the ppl there , could anyone help me out with any locations of dojos or places to train ? Or any references ?
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

Try finding a Shuai Chiao school, I'm betting that'll be easier to find. The arts are similar, but the perspective is different. You'll get a lot to take back to Judo with you.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

shui ciao

What is shui ciao ?
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

www.combatshuaichiao.com
    www.changshuaichiao.com
    www.shuaichiao.org

That will get you started. It's a throwing art, not dis-similar to Judo. The main differences I see are the falling is different (you tuck, don't slap) and the handles are different as the "gi" is a sleeveless jacket. Like BJJ it is often practiced "no gi". I think you'd love it and fit right in being a Judo guy.

awesome

this sounds really cool. Is this really popular in Beijing and Shanghai ?
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

I'm not really sure how common it is in the mainland. If you want, give me you e-mail address and I'll get you registered on my Shuai Chiao discussion board. I'm sure you'll get better answers there than anything I could provide.

I know it is accesible in Taiwan, but that really doesn't do you any good.

judo...

I know there is a judo team that used to (may still) train at the Shi Cha Hai sports school (where the Beijing Wushu Team trains). I'm not sure if they're still at that location (the sanshou team trains elsewhere in the city now I think, so the judo team might also).

There is probably judo at the Beijing Sports University in the northern part of the city (Beijing Tiyu Daxue). they have every other sport there...

I bought a judo and a shuai jiao VCD last time I was in china, and it was actually really funny, turns out the instructor was the same guy, as were his students he would demonstrate on. As near as I could tell, the contents of the two discs were also nearly identical, except in one they were wearing gis, and in the other they were just wearing average athletic wear (despite the fact that it doesn't make for good throwing).

So while the quality of those VCDs is questionable, my point is that you might find that the judo people and the shaui jiao people are in fact the same...

-Raffi

judo

Awesome ! So they train at that sport school ? If they dont, im sure it would just be at some other sport school right ? Do they let foreigners train with them? I am chinese but grew up in Canada .

I think I will check this Shui Chiao out. Sounds interesting !

Also, do you know anything about the Beijing University of Physical Education ? Do they have judo there ?
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

info ?

c'mon.....no more info guys ???
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

sorry...

I don't check this board that often...

yeah, Beijing Sports University = Beijing University of Physical Education = Beijing Tiyu Daxue all the same place. in the north westpart of the city...

most places take foreign students one way or another. its just a matter of how much and what you get...

you might want to read this article I wrote on my website about training in contemporary wushu in China, a lot of it might apply to your situation -

http://www.beijingwushuteam.com/articles/traininBJ.html

-Raffi

hmm..

Hey Raffi, I sent the BUPE an email asking about judo availability there and they replied that they have no courses for that short of time period in the summer. Does that mean that I have to enroll in a course in order to participate in judo there ? Do they not let foriegners come in and train for fun ?? Or would I have to negotiate when I get there ?

Stumblefist, thanks alot for info my friend! May I email your friend in Shanghai and ask him ? I don't want to bother him!

I love Zhao Wei. She's a cutie. I heardabout that incident but I did not think it was her . Did you watch Shaolin Soccer ?? I love that movie !!
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

stumble..

I am not clear on the details either but one morning my parents were reading the chinese newspaper and they were talking bout how some chinese female star was either waving a japanese flag or wearing a flag or something around and I they they dumped crap all over her.....
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

Talking Beijing Shanghai

Yeah, martial arts is always good for everybody !!

So you guys know of any other martial arts or kungfu schools that I can just visit and watch? I only know judo ; no kungfu but i'd like to see alot of the other different MA schools and take soem pics and what not.
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!

try...

try educasian.com they set up training in china for foreigners, they might be able to help you w/ judo at BUPE.

-Raffi

Talking BUPE

Well, the BUPE finally replied to my emails. They said that I would be welcome to join and would check about "judo training course" in the summer. They also asked me for details like sex, age, weight, height etc..... Oh yes, and they said i have to pay a fee. Any idea how much that would be ?

Maybe you can clear this up for me Raffi... at the BUPE , they refer to their MA training as "courses." What are these courses like? Is it like in North America where dojos hold training classes at a certain time and you just go at that time if you want to train??
    Uchimata !!! Ippon !!!