Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: For the Brits

pffft
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

JWT,

i'll have you know that there's not a crooked tooth in my head. of course, i've been a beneficiary of the american dental association for the past 20 years. but no matter.

very cool about the SBS officer. you don't hear a whole lot about the SBS. not in comparison with the SAS, anyway. and now this.

groovy.

stuart

3 cheers for the Royal Marines and their SBS commandos. They aren't as well known as the SAS and In my humble opinion, are more off the deep end that the Army's SAS.........Well since I'll be joining the Royal marines soon, I guess I'M OFF THE DEEP END., but it's going to be fun.

Sydney Riley

Is it common for Americans to join the Royal Marines?
    Why do you not want to join an American Special Forces, er, force? Or are you already, and your doing an exchange or something?
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

hey scotty1, I am not american. I am an african who lives in the states. My country was a former british colony and that makes me citizen of the commonwealth. As a commonwealth citizen, I can join the british armed forces. It requires a bit more paperwork than normally is needed, but it is allowed.

The question is, why the fu.ck would you want to join the army? For a country that invaded your home country? And one that you don't even live in?

At least join the US marines, the USA is where u live?

BTW, SYDNEY RILEY, it's subject, not citizen.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

for sharky, I may have been born in africa but my family is from England. I consider myself more English that african. I have looked at the U.S marines and have considered them too. but in the end, the Royal Marines were too irresistable for me.
    for Jwtaylor, thanks for the correction,mate!

JWTAYLOR "BTW, SYDNEY RILEY, it's subject, not citizen."

Actually it's "Citizen" in the British passport nowadays.

Up until about 15 years ago there were two types.

If you were born within the British isles your passport would be stamped "British Citizen".
    This entitled you with more rights than a British Subject.

While if you were born outside the UK, ie. in a commonwealth Country you could only get a passport with "British Subject".

This resulted in a two tier system, that differenciated between native British people and "Subjects" from countries that had previously been governed by the British.

This was deemed by the PC people to be discriminatory towards commonwealth members, as it made them out to be people from conquered nations, still under the control of the British Government, even though many had since gained their independence.
    So everybody was given the right to become a British Citizen".

Thus nowadays virtually anybody can put in a claim to become a British Citizen.

As for the Special Boat Service officer receiving the Medal of Honour.
    I think this is a strong sign of the close link between our two nations, and can only be a good thing.
    Well done to all our armed forces!

Now the terrible earth quake in Afganistan, well.. i've heard that many muslims feel that it is an act of Allah that this has happened, to punish the Afgan people for supporting Al-Qaeda.

I just feel saddened for the many innocents that have been killed & injured, and yes I do believe there are some innocents in Afganistan!

Colin.............
    Last edited by Colin; 03-27-2002 at 02:27 PM.
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

At least they don't call people British Members.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Sharky, whats up with the army?

"And the crowd called out for more"

If someone wants to join - fine man. I can never see myself ever joining for free will. I'd rather persue my own interests.

Regardless, i can't see why he'd want to be in the British marines, when they are the country that invaded his. That's like a jew joining hitlers army. Sort of. Ahem. He doesn't even live there. I just get the impression a lot of people do it cos the army is romantisised.

And I can't believe that your parents would let you.

This is *totally* my opinion, i am not dissin you, do what you want man. Best of luck mate.

Sharky, like it or not many yanks still consider you brits their "parents" and many brits consider us yanks their "children".
    This became very obvious to me after Sept. 11. I'm in the hospitality industry and deal with many tourist fron the UK. Normally they are my favorite customers, charming , witty, intelligent, (we won't talk about the gratuity issue, you listening canada?). After 9/11 my UK guests seemed cowed and uncomunicative, ( exept for some fabulace travel writers, great stories about the nazis, b*stards!). It became evident to me at least amongst the older folks that they felt like they let us down, that they weren't there like protective parents to keep the organized mass murderers and serial killers from sucker punching us like they did. I feel sorry that they have taken this burden on themselves, but am touched by it nevertheless.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Yeah I was going to put "British People Suck" in my sig in light of mine and Scotty1's uhhh...communications. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. British people kick ass. How could I think people who know what real beer is suck? Plus you Brits are willing to put your balls where your mouth is when it comes to helping the US. I should only hope that when the time comes we can return the favor.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

ewallace:
    "Plus you Brits are willing to put your balls where your mouth is when it comes to helping the US. I should only hope that when the time comes we can return the favor."

Surely you just did, by the US government putting a 30% import duty on foreign steel.

This will destroy the British steel industry, but then again it will increase the number of poor unemployed men, that might join the British Army and fight wars for our American friends!

"The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk