Thread: Mantis statues

Threaded View

I apologize for rambling :)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    My Shaolin Brother Xinghung (aka Russbo) was in Thailand, last I heard. A mutual Shaolin friend from Las Vegas showed up at Shi Decheng's seminar last year and told me so. That's the last I heard of Rich.
    so dope that you are brothers and entered discipleship under Shi Decheng! aside from KFQG magazine and WLE's vast catalogue, Russbo.com and his archive and collection of traditional Shaolin served as a compass for me to navigate my search for a school and sifu back in the day.
    and it worked well.
    I was a sophmore in HS, and my Sifu turned out to be a Vietnamese Buddhist kid who just graduated HS a couple years before. They trained traditional Shaolin (Songshan) GongFu at his Buddhist temple in Dallas, and at the time he was the top student. I didnt care about his age because I recognized what he practiced to be what I was looking for, and I had enough research done from you guys and the well kept records your shared. I approached him when I saw him training with all the asian kids at lunch, and it looked like Shaolin they were doing. he informed me they preparing for the annual Asian Festival, at my school they would do arts from all around asia, and of course there was a big dragon/lion dance and gong fu segment, not performance wushu, real stuff, eve some wing chun, hung gar, etc. He took a liking to me for some reason and initiated me in to the art. I trained for a year and a half with him (had to move because Mom got married) and learned wu bu quan and xiao hong quan, to a teeeeee. he was a stickler for mastering those. and he taught in a way, that incorporated xinyiba, before I had a clue what it was. I didnt recognize thats what it was until about 2013, watching Shi Dejian with his students on Chinese documentary. The movements I learned stuck with me to this day. very potent stuff. I had a friend who was into karate at the time, and we sparred a lot after my classes. he liked it so much he started training with us, then training personally with me for years later, turning fully to a Shaolin practitioner.
    any how, it was worth it. The cool part is, it culminated with my Sifu allowing us to do a part in the Asian festival, the first time Black students at my school participated, which was major back then for some reason. Texas can be a bit more partial than the Bay Area , it was glorious, all of us together, and we brought a part of the school to the audience that never really showed up before, and they all enjoyed it. lol.....I ramble..... great memories though, and thats how martial arts should work in my eyes. sharing leads to more sharing and more unification.
    what I would love to see, if the recording of that festival lol man.....2002 Townview Magnet School Asian Fest.

The irony of my journey, which makes me feel some type of way (a good way) around my heart chakra, is that you guys have always been there in spirit. its like we were all united at some point in another time or place or both, and the guidance follows me to this day. its beyond trippy to say the least, and I dont believe coincidence. and you know the Rastaman says "its real if it comes back around" .....to the degree this holds true, I dont think I can express in words.
    the internet is a strange thing though, so to be able even to hold a dialogue with you here, is a blessing to me.
    I revered and still do revere all the work you all put in, and the paths you chose.
    not just as MAist, as Men, Fathers, Teachers, etc..... I digress for the forum sake. I look forward to meeting you in person and building a bond.

Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 08-31-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator