Thread: Mike Tyson

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Archie Moore was the first celebrity I ever saw in person, when I was in first grade in 1969/70. He came to our elementary school auditorium for a father/son night. His sons appeared with him onstage, and he gave a long speech and Q&A. Before that day I didn't even know who he was or what a boxing champ was. We never watched much boxing on TV until later when Ali started fighting again. Some other boys were excited to see Archie Moore in person, so I guess I was, too. That auditorium was filled with fathers and sons.

He had a house near the freeway that we always passed on the way to my aunt's house. Everyone knew that as the Archie Moore house.

One regret I had was when he made an appearance at a local bookstore, and I was there and walked right past him without recognizing him. I hadn't noticed the signs announcing his appearance. This was probably within a year of his death. When I saw the obituary with the recent photo, then I realized the guy I had walked past who had been sitting at the table with a big smile on his face was Archie Moore.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-01-2015 at 10:25 PM.