Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
Have to disagree about Yip man history. I have a great deal of respect for Robert but he is just repeating stories. Until someone deals with what Jui Wan told his students and his own son there is no credibility to the YKS being Leung Bik theory. Jui Wan knew YKS and his wing chun. Jui Wan was already a wing chun Sifu in his own right when he left Fatshan for Hong Kong. Jui Wan is the only credible source that knew and trained with Yip Man, Yui Choi, YKS and the other wing chun people in Fatshan.

Jui Wan said that in Fatshan Yip Mans wing chun was like everyone else's. However in Hong Kong Yip Man's wing chun was different and much better. So much so that Jui Wan studied under Yip Man. To this point in time every story teller I have heard talking about Yip Man learning advanced things from YKS and YKS really being Leung Bik has ignored the only person that was a wing chun sifu in both Fatshan and Hong Kong and knew Yip and his wing chun in both places. Yip may have trained with YKS but the wing chun that impressed Jui Wan was not YKS wing chun. Jui Wan was clear that whatever Yip was now doing with him was different that what was being done in Fatshan.

Leung Bik may have been made up. There is some evidence Yip spent time with Fung Wah in Hong Kong. Yip wing chun also contains signatures that did not come from YKS or Chan Wah. If you know about signatures in the forms you know how distinctive and subtle these signatures can be.
This is interesting. What I am wondering is that what Yip Man taught in HK changed a great deal over the tme he was in HK forms changed drills changed and so forth, and that his early guys like Leung Sheung did look much more like Foshan wing chun and what YKS was teaching and seemed to evolved from there so when exactly did JW begin training with YM? Was it early days or later days?