Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insomnia

TR Joiner,

Yes, but he also has Night Sweats. If it was only Insomnia without any other underlying conditions I would not have suggested Yin deficiency. How does the Night Sweats play into your scenario?

Yes, but he also has night sweats...

Greetings Woliveri:

I realize that he has night sweats, and in case you aren't aware of this fact spontaneous sweating and night sweats are typical symptoms of Qi and Yin deficiency ... more precisely, spontaneous sweating is normally associated with Qi deficiency while night sweats are a common symptom of Yin deficiency, to be exact Liver Yin deficiency.

Suan Zao Ren is used because it treats the Liver correcting the deficiency, while calming the mind and controlling mental restlessness (Restless Shen) as well as resolving night sweats.

As you are probably well aware, normally Chinese Herbology does not use a single herbal ingredient to treat most conditions, TCM prefers to use a combination of herbs, an exception being with tonic herbs such as Ginseng which is often used alone. Therefore, the most prudent course of action would be to use a formula that contains Suan Zao Ren as the "Emperor" herb (or main ingredients) along with several other herbs that act synergistically with the main ingredient to nourish the Liver Yin deficiency which is the underlying cause.

This is very important because it satisfies one of the guiding principles of TCM which is to correct the underlying or root cause of the problem rather than merely treating the symptom -- which in this case is insomnia.

I hope I have made myself clear, feel free to contact me again with any questions.

TR Joiner

TR Joiner,

Thank you for your informed reply.

In Addition, nice web site. (www.seaofchi.com)

I would be interested in your Qigong background.

What type of qigong have you trained in?
    Last edited by woliveri; 01-11-2006 at 12:00 PM.

What kind of Qi Gong have you trained in?

In answer to your question oliveri,
    I've trained in Tien Tao Qi Gong and Yi chuan.

T.R.Joiner

www.seaofchi.com

In answer to your question oliveri,
    I've trained in Tien Tao Qi Gong and Yi chuan.
    Interesting. I have not heard of Tian Tao (Heavenly Way?) Qigong before. May I ask what type of movements does the set contain? (Standing, Sitting, Moving, etc.)

And where did this Qigong Originate? (founder?)

Yi Chuan. I notice you are in Oakland. Have you trained with Fong Ha before?

Thank you,

Questions about Chi Kung training

Greetings Woliveri,

You're right I am in Oakland however, I have never trained with the person that you mention. Tien Tao involves both standing and moving meditation, its origin is Chinese. If you are genuinely interested, you have my contact information. I won't get into its historywhich is rather lengthy because I'm not sure that this forum is the proper place. I'm assuming that we're pretty much expected to stick to the point?

TR Joiner

www.seaofchi.com

Liver yin xu?

T R Joiner said:

"...night sweats are a common symptom of Yin deficiency, to be exact Liver Yin deficiency...

"Therefore, the most prudent course of action would be to use a formula that contains Suan Zao Ren as the "Emperor" herb (or main ingredients) along with several other herbs that act synergistically with the main ingredient to nourish the Liver Yin deficiency which is the underlying cause."

Honorable Sir, while I agree with your use of SZR as the emperor herb in the formula, it is not for the same reasons you have stated. My understanding is the night sweats are more typical of Kidney Yin deficiency (aka steaming bones or rob sweating) - in my studies thus far, I have not seen night sweats associated with Liver Yin deficiency. However, the sour aspect of SZR does effectively "retain the qi to stop sweating". Furthermore, it also moistens and calms the liver to nourish yin, ultimately quenching the empty heat that may be causing insomnia.

If I am missing something regarding the Liver Yin Xu night sweats, please correct me

respectfully,

herb ox

Liver yin xu

You didn't miss a thing herbox, you're right in regards to T.C.M. attributing night sweats to "steaming bone" which is as you stated, associated with def. Kidney yin. It appears I have unintentionally mis-spoken! Although the rising heat associated with Liv. yin def. could possibly cause irritability along with the restlessness and shen related stuff associated with the Heart that is often seen in insomnia, as you have pointed out, according to T.C.M. it is the Ki. def rather than the Liv. def. that is the cause of the night sweating. As I sit here slowly wiping the egg from my face, I am reviewing some of the traditional formulas for treating night sweats and notice that quite often they contain ingredients for nourishing both Ki. and Liv. yin def. which in spite of my error regarding T.C.M. theory makes me somewhat relieved by the fact that my reccomendation of Suan Zao Ren as the emperor in a formula supported by herbs such as Shan Zhu Yu, Mu Li, and Wu Wei Zi would likely have been of benefit none the less.

T.R. Joiner

www.seaofchi.com

I have tried everything - nothing works for me but cannabis