Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Django Unchained

If you like Quentin Tarantino...

Enter to win IF YOU LIKE QUENTIN TARANTINO… By Katherine Rife! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 02/07/2013. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I don't know why this strikes me as funny...

...Maybe because it's late in the afternoon on the Friday before Superbowl Sunday.

Django Unchained Action Figures Discontinued!
    1/18/2013 8:41 PM ET |

Django Unchained Action Figures Discontinued

We told you about the controversy behind the Django Unchained Action Figures.

Rev. Al Sharpton's Nation Action Network and others condemned the dolls as racially insensitive due to their portrayal of slaves.

Despite the facts that the collectibles had cloth clothing, almost no articulation, and were retailing for the price of an XBox, Sharpton said the figures were directed at children.

Well, it seems the Weinstein Company is tired of the controversy over the Quentin Tarantino flick; they have ordered the line discontinued.

So if you wanted to relive the exciting scene where Jamie Foxx and Christophe Waltz stay in their boxes on a shelf and appreciate in value, you're out of luck.

Of course, there are still a few left out there if you have to have one- last seen nearing the $1000 price range!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oops

I'm surprised it even almost got shown in PRC.
    Django pulled from China screens
    By Stephen Cremin and Patrick Frater
    Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:55 PM (HKT)

Quentin TARANTINO's Django Unchained was pulled from Chinese cinemas this morning, (11 Apr 2013), on its opening day. Midnight previews of the film had been held just a few days ago.

Distributors China Film Group and Huaxia Film Distribution were to have given the film a wide national release on behalf of Hollywood studio Sony Pictures.

On social media, cinema chains blamed the cancellation on "technical reasons". Some audience members claimed that the film was stopped one minute into its projection at morning screenings with no clear explanation given.

China has no classification system, therefore requiring all films to be suitable for children. Tarantino had supervised a special version for China that toned down the violence by digitally altering the display of blood in the film.

Speculation as to the reasons for the reversal of fortune are now rife within the Chinese industry and among cinema-goers. Attention has focused on scenes of male nudity that remained after the cuts required by the censor.

But Sony in China has not commented on the situation. And it is not clear whether further cuts will be required before a re-release at a later date or whether the film's Chinese theatrical career is now over.

Django was set to be Tarantino's first film to receive a theatrical release in China. His films — including Django — are, however, widely available uncensored on DVD. Tarantino has encouraged Chinese fans to view counterfeit DVDs of his films.

Local films have dominated at the box office this year, taking an estimated 70% market share in a year in which overall box office has grown approximately 50% year-on-year. Two more commercial local films are scheduled to open tomorrow.

Yesterday, the two highest grossing films at the China box office were XUE Xiaolu 薛曉路's romantic comedy Finding Mr. Right 北京遇上西雅圖 and GUAN Hu 管虎's action-comedy The Chef The Actor The Scoundrel 虎烈拉. Together, they have taken a combined RMB637 million (US$103 million) to date.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back in the PRC

Django unchained for China release
    By Patrick Frater
    Sat, 27 April 2013, 09:00 AM (HKT)

Django Unchained has been cleared for distribution in China, after a hiatus earlier this month.

It will now release in the country on 12 May, according to distributor Sony Pictures. It is understood that changes have been made to the film, but neither Sony, nor rights owner The Weinstein Company has detailed what the change are.

The film was previously in cinemas on 11 April, but was reportedly removed from screens after less than an hour, following an order from government authorities. Distributor, China Film Group Corporation 中國電影集團公司 pointed to "technical reasons" at the time.

"There is tremendous excitement, anticipation and awareness for the film and we thank the local authorities for quickly resolving this issue," said Sony in a statement.

Django had been passed for release by the Film Bureau after director Quentin TARANTINO had made some changes to tone down blood colours. It has been widely speculated that there were last minute objections to on-screen nudity that remained in the approved version.

It is unclear whether the month long delay will damage the film's commercial prospects in China. While the controversy may have raised the film profile, uncut versions are widely available. It will also face competition from other movies.

One of those, Iron Man 3 will now open in China on Wed 1 May, China's National Day holiday, not the previously announced 3 May. That is two days ahead of its North American release, but a week behind the film's outing in many international territories, including much of Asia, where it is already performing very strongly.

Marvel and Disney have already confirmed that the version of Iron Man 3 that plays in China will be a "special edition" with considerably more Chinese elements than are in the US and international version. Although produced and financed by Marvel, Disney and Chinese company DMG Entertainment DMG娛樂傳媒集團, the film is not a full co-production and will be treated as an import.

Aside from the requirement of significant Chinese elements in a co-production film, Chinese regulations do not officially permit multiple versions of the same film.
    Was there a lot of nudity? I still have yet to see this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Was there a lot of nudity? I still have yet to see this.
    Not really. His wife is naked when they pull her out of the "hot box" (for trying to flee the plantation), but all you see is a nip slip, the side of her hip, and the top of her bush. This is only for a split second. They could easily edit that out if they had to. The other bit is the bottom of Jamie Fox's nutsack when he is hanging upside down after being captured. That too could have been edited out. That is the only nudity that I remember.

I finally saw this

I really enjoyed it. So did my wife. It was engrossing all the way through. Foxx, Waltz, Jackson and DiCaprio were all at the top of their game. I was hoping for a little more from Kerry as I like her in Scandal. The mask-eyehole scene with Hill was hysterical. And I got to hand it to QT; he can still choreograph ultravi in a singularly stylistic way that is his cinematic signature.

Coulda used a sword fight tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    And Kill Bill was for international assassins who are named after poisonous snakes, people who like to kill mass groups of yakuza while wearing a yellow onesy, and bigots who hate people named Bill!
    Nah, it's QT for Asian people and blonde hotties.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips