Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
Whats the actual weight class? Its usually like 170-179 in which case i wouldn't worry about cutting weight at all.

I'm actually against cutting weight for a comp thru dehydration. I advise eating lean in the months leading up to the fight(or year round). In my experience not only does cutting weight that way cause physical stress but imo takes away the athletes mental focus to some degree. I think both physical and mental stress needs to be considered when deciding whether or not the benefits of cutting the weight outweigh the negative aspects. That is really up to your coach and you to decide as its not something that someone can tell with out direct experience with the person.

Honestly if I was still competing I would do things different. I would have learned more about the science behind dietary habits and eat lean year round that way the weight wouldnt be an issue. Lacking discipline in the kitchen was my biggest downfall at that time.
It's from 159 to 170 pounds. I'll follow your advice, but my plan was to not cut much weight, just a wee bit. Lyoto Machida, MMA fighter, he's known for not cutting weight, and we can see his cardio and KO power are pretty good. I was just thinking about cutting what is possible in one day, not in a whole week like some fighters do.