Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bruce lee/wong jack man movie

bruce lee/wong jack man movie

the producer doesnt really seem knowledgeable of the situation and just wants to make up his own situation.
    Movie about Bruce Lee’s most legendary fight is in the works
    By Kevin Iole | Cagewriter – 2 hours 23 minutes ago

Shannon Lee poses with the figure of her father, Bruce Lee, at Madame Tussaud's (Getty Images)Bruce Lee obtained legendary status as a martial artist in part because of a 1965 fight in Oakland, Calif., against Chinese kung fu master Wong Jack Man. It was the last fight of Lee's career.

For nearly 50 years, there has been much speculation and heated debate about what occurred inside of that gym, as very few people witnessed it. But the upshot of the bout is that it helped to develop Lee's views on Jeet Kune Do, which is the forerunner of today's mixed martial arts.

On Tuesday, Deadline.com reported that a movie about the fight that will be called "Birth of the Dragon" will be produced by QED International and Groundwell Productions.

Groundswell CEO Michael London told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday that the process of developing a screen play has just begun.

It is not, however, designed to be a biography of Lee, who died in 1973, or the definitive account of the fight.

"We're actually not trying to re-tell the story of Bruce Lee," London said. "I think that's a natural impression people might get. The idea, actually, is to take that battle, which has been so mysterious and so powerful and so interesting to so many, and tell the lead-up to that story, which is Wong Jack Man's arrival in San Francisco.

"We've created a back story. There is a lot people that know about why Wong Jack Man came to San Francisco, but we're trying to create a dramatically satisfying story about why he's there. So we're taking license. That's why we say it's going to be inspired by that fight and isn't a literal telling of it."

London said the writers -- Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele -- have the belief that Jack Man was trying to help Lee to become the best version of himself and was trying to teach Lee lessons.

Bruce Lee on a movie set in 1969 (Getty)London said the fight sequences will be shown through the eyes of the people who were there. One of those was Lee's wife, Linda, who was eight months pregnant at the time with the couple's son, Brandon.

"There will be a slightly stylized quality to the actual fight sequences," London said. "That will allow different people who were there to come away with differing conclusions of what happened. ... The whole idea is that the 13 people who saw that fight came away with very differing ideas of what happened. The fight itself will be impressionistic."

Jack Man is reclusive and rarely does interviews and has rarely spoken of that fight. London said producers will approach him after finishing the screenplay. He said he hasn't reached out to Lee's family, either.

Lee's daughter, Shannon, who runs the Bruce Lee Foundation, said that the fight was significant in her father's life because of the impact it had upon him.

"It was a pivotal moment in his life because he was very disappointed after the fight," Shannon Lee said. "Happy that he won, obviously, and happy he won the right to teach whoever he saw fit is what the challenge was over, the fact that he was teaching non-Chinese people the art of kung fu.

"He was very upset and my Mom said he was sitting outside and had his head in his hands. He told her that he felt the fight had gone on a lot longer than he thought it should and he felt tired and winded from having to run to chase [Jack Man]. He felt his training had let him down. ... He thought it should have been over a lot faster, and it was really from that that he started to change his whole thinking on martial arts."

London said no timetable is set to begin filming. He said "if we're lucky, we'll make the movie next year."

Lol and people still think dragon:the Bruce lee story was accurate
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Lol and people still think dragon:the Bruce lee story was accurate
    his name was bruce lee..they got that part right...lol

He can always just reference our thread...

The real story lies buried in here: Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's interesting to see that his daughter believes the movie too...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Here's what the AV Club says

Bruce Lee's life inspires movie that is way more interesting now that it has a bunch of made-up ****

Though Bruce Lee has already received the biopic treatment with 1993’s Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, that film suffered from its outmoded, 20th-century insistence on occasionally resembling actual moments from its subject’s life. So the time has come for another Bruce Lee biopic, one that takes the modern tack of using a person’s life as mere “inspiration” for a far more interesting story that inevitably becomes a buddy-cop movie. Nixon and Ali writers Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele—having presumably seen their other screenplay rejected, in which Nixon forces the draft-dodging boxer to team with him to rescue Vietnam POWs—have instead begun Birth Of The Dragon, which uses the real-life 1965 fight between Lee and Wong Jack Man as “a jumping-off point for a wider-canvas action movie in which Wong and Lee team up to battle a band of Chinatown gangsters.”

Of course, “historical” accounts will tell you that no such thing ever happened, that Lee and Wong instead fought for about 20 minutes, then parted without so much as a playfully bickering conversation about gangster-fighting techniques, on their way to a grudging partnership that got results. But this “factual” version of the story has naturally been rejected, because it is boring, and just making up things is far more interesting.

“Stephen Rivele and Chris Wilkinson have taken a little-known chapter in the life of Bruce Lee and used it as a jumping-off point for a bold, exciting story about the making of an international legend,” said producer Michael London in a statement, before his own story suddenly got much bolder and way more exciting after he turned into a werewolf, slaughtered a half-dozen people in Central Park, then was driven by an angry mob to seek refuge in a hidden sea cave. It was there that, after years of lonely seclusion, in which he was forced to imagine buddy-cop stories using the fragments of coral that washed up on the shoreline, producer-turned-werewolf Michael London eventually met and fell in love with a mermaid.

“But my darling, when the moon is full, our mer-wolf children will surely drown trying to devour their own tails,” were-producer Michael London told his mermaid bride one day, years after his monstrous transformation had rendered him unable to make up a bunch of **** about Bruce Lee’s life. “Hush now, dear,” Michael London’s mermaid wife said, slapping him with her fins in a soothing way she knew he liked. Then producer Michael London began to make gentle love to her fish-hole.

Picked up by THR

Bruce Lee Origin Story Heading to Big Screen
    11:00 AM PST 2/19/2013 by Borys Kit

Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele, whose credits include "Nixon" and "Ali," have been hired to write the script.

QED International and banner Groundswell Productions are aiming to tell a Bruce Lee origin story with Birth of the Dragon, tapping scribes Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele to pen the tale.

Dragon, according to QED and Groundswell, is inspired by the true-life duel between Lee and Wong Jack Man, who was China’s most famous kung fu Master. The no-rules fight took place in San Francisco in 1965, when the city’s Chinatown was controlled by Hong Kong triads.

The writers are using this true event as a jumping-off point for a wider-canvas action movie in which Wong and Lee team up to battle a band of Chinatown gangsters.

QED CEO Bill Block and Groundswell’s Michael London will produce the project along with Wilkinson and Rivele. Groundswell’s Kelly Mullen will exec produce.

"Stephen Rivele and Chris Wilkinson have taken a little-known chapter in the life of Bruce Lee and used it as a jumping-off point for a bold, exciting story about the making of an international legend,” said London in a statement.

Wilkinson and Rivele are best known for their biopic work. The duo’s credits include Nixon, the 1995 drama directed by Oliver Stone that netted them an Oscar nomination for best original screenplay, and 2001's Ali, directed by Michael Mann. They also wrote Mercury, the story of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury, which is set up at GK Films with Sacha Baron Cohen to star.
    Wonder what WJM thinks of this...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

from what im hearing from some reliable sources..the wong and bruce are going to team up and take on chinese gangsters...lol..i dont know how factual that is since the script is still be written but its supposedly in the outline.

I love the part in the article when Shannon Lee says Bruce was "Happy that he won, obviously," but also, "He was very upset and my Mom said he was sitting outside and had his head in his hands." Who does that? Especially after they had just won a fight against a grandmaster.

She also says, "He told her that he felt the fight had gone on a lot longer than he thought it should and he felt tired and winded from having to run to chase [Jack Man]. He felt his training had let him down..." Was Bruce training to chase after people? Why would his Wing Chun training have let him down? What, Wing Chun guys don't have stamina? They're not able to chase after people effectively? Long before I ever learned about what truly happened this never made sense to me.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by Siu Lum Fighter View Post
    I love the part in the article when Shannon Lee says Bruce was "Happy that he won, obviously," but also, "He was very upset and my Mom said he was sitting outside and had his head in his hands." Who does that? Especially after they had just won a fight against a grandmaster.

She also says, "He told her that he felt the fight had gone on a lot longer than he thought it should and he felt tired and winded from having to run to chase [Jack Man]. He felt his training had let him down..." Was Bruce training to chase after people? Why would his Wing Chun training have let him down? What, Wing Chun guys don't have stamina? They're not able to chase after people effectively? Long before I ever learned about what truly happened this never made sense to me.
    For God's sake. Take that **** back to your thread. This is a thread about a FICTIONAL movie.

You're starting to sound petty.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Originally Posted by JamesC
    For God's sake. Take that **** back to your thread. This is a thread about a FICTIONAL movie.

You're starting to sound petty.
    If they're going to publish an article with Shannon Lee saying things like, "oh, Bruce obviously won," then I just can't help pointing out how glaringly unobvious it was when Bruce was sitting with his head in his hands all down on himself. I'm also not being petty since it should be an extreme insult to all Wing Chun practitioners to suggest that their art is impractical because they can't chase after someone effectively.

This movie is being made with the consent of Linda and Shannon Lee so I can only assume they're going to make it seem like Sifu Wong lost when that's complete BS. That's another reason I wouldn't consider my comments petty: blatant lies are still being spread about Wong Jack Man with impunity in articles that show up on Yahoo News and all over the net.

It should also be noted that the whole story about the fight being over Bruce's right to teach non-Chinese was told after he died. Bruce never meant for this story to be told. Eventually it would have been made obvious that this was some kind of made up fantasy because Wong taught some of the best non-Chinese practitioners out there. Oh, and guess what, I was a student of his and I'm white!
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by Siu Lum Fighter View Post
    If they're going to publish an article with Shannon Lee saying things like, "oh, Bruce obviously won," then I just can't help pointing out how glaringly unobvious it was when Bruce was sitting with his head in his hands all down on himself. I'm also not being petty since it should be an extreme insult to all Wing Chun practitioners to suggest that their art is impractical because they can't chase after someone effectively.

This movie is being made with the consent of Linda and Shannon Lee so I can only assume they're going to make it seem like Sifu Wong lost when that's complete BS. That's another reason I wouldn't consider my comments petty: blatant lies are still being spread about Wong Jack Man with impunity in articles that show up on Yahoo News and all over the net.

It should also be noted that the whole story about the fight being over Bruce's right to teach non-Chinese was told after he died. Bruce never meant for this story to be told. Eventually it would have been made obvious that this was some kind of made up fantasy because Wong taught some of the best non-Chinese practitioners out there. Oh, and guess what, I was a student of his and I'm white!

well congrats to you..but this movie is about them teaming up avengers style and taking on chinese drug lords. so whatever beef you have it stow it.

Originally Posted by doug maverick
    well congrats to you..but this movie is about them teaming up avengers style and taking on chinese drug lords. so whatever beef you have it stow it.
    Well, I do see that as progress and actually quite awesome. To be honest, a lot of my resentments stem from years of living and working here in Hollywood and having stunt coordinators and entertainment people telling me, "Wait, you learned from Wong Jack Man, the gangster who challenged Bruce Lee and lost?" I can't even mention him in this town without having all of these Bruce Lee-happy idiots acting like I'm on the wrong side of history. And despite how it seems I'm not anti-Bruce Lee. I'm still somewhat of a fan but unlike everyone else who think of him as some kind of God, I view Bruce and his legacy a lot more realistically.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 02-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.

well there is three sides to every story as they say. bruces side, wongs side, and the truth. to much legend around bruce lee and nobody cares about the facts..you got people who still believe he was killed by ninjas.

It wasnt ninjas....

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.