Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: T M N T

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    If they are actually working on the screenplay my guess is that the Turtles are NOT aliens but that they are going with the origins of the ooze being from the alien Utroms. Bay is just not paying close attention and heard "alien" and rolled with it.

Sure, the origins of the Turtles in Mirage comics is alien... but it's that the ooze was the product of a facility that the disguised Utroms ran. Hell, even in the 87 cartoon the mutagen that created the Turtles was from Dimension X and thus alien.

Krang was based on the Utroms.

Utroms:

Krang:

bay is just doing what he always does, and just giving out false and half true info to make the fanboys go insane...he did it with transformers and despite everyone saying how bad they were he laughed his way to the bank three times. he knows what he is doing...even thou he is just mostly a name on this and wont really be involved he knows how to promote.

i love those stubby little arms on his suit. that suit reminds me of sloth from the goonies

HEY YOU GUYYYYSSS!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    bay is just doing what he always does, and just giving out false and half true info to make the fanboys go insane...he did it with transformers and despite everyone saying how bad they were he laughed his way to the bank three times. he knows what he is doing...even thou he is just mostly a name on this and wont really be involved he knows how to promote.
    I must be one of the few people that saw Transformers and hated it and didn't waste his money on 2 or 3.

And NOW.....

The actual director speaks

http://collider.com/jonathan-liebesm...erview/154499/

Jonathan-Liebesman-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-interview-slice2

Michael Bay caused quite the hubbub the other day with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans. He’s producing a new iteration of the lovable characters in the form of a live-action reboot directed by Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans). Said hubbub was caused when Bay commented that the turtles in the reboot would be “from an alien race.” Fans were perplexed given that the word “mutant” is right in the title of the series, and “alien race” would imply that these new martial arts-inclined turtles weren’t mutated, but are actually extra terrestrial beings.

Steve got the chance to speak with Liebesman at the press junket for Wrath of the Titans earlier today and the director took the time to clear the air about his version of TMNT. He addressed the “alien race” comments, talked about his approach to the characters, revealed whether they’re thinking CGI or practical effects to bring the turtles to life, and said when he thinks they’ll start filming and where. Hit the jump to see what he had to say.

Jonathan_Liebesman-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-movieRegarding the “alien race” comments, Liebesman said the “alien” aspect actually comes straight from the series:

“Look, it’s so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we’re sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”

While it still sounds early in the development process, it appears the whole “alien” aspect may simply be referring to the ooze that mutates the turtles. As Liebesman said, they’re still working out the concept so things could definitely change. He stressed that TMNT comics co-creator Kevin Eastman is working alongside him, so they’re not exactly throwing the series mythology out the window:

TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-comic-book“Whatever mythology we’re building on or expanding is coming from that guy, Kevin Eastman’s head, who created the Turtles in the first place. And so everything will tie in with the mythology; fans will be extremely excited with what we’re coming up with. A lot of it is stuff he’s wanted to do for a long time, but just hasn’t had the opportunity because now we have the budget and things on this film to expand it in the right way. And so, I’m happy that everyone is extremely passionate, and they will not be disappointed. It’s all coming from the best possible place for this franchise.”

When asked if the turtles would be practical or CGI, Liebesman hinted that they may be done similar to another recent visual effects-laden project:

“All I’ll say is that I love how they did [The Rise of the Planet of the Apes]. That was exceptional.”

TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-movie-live-actionI think this is a great way to go, and if Liebesman can bring Weta Digital in to create photorealistic turtles then I think we’ll be in for a visually stunning TMNT. The director also stressed that the film won’t be entirely about action:

“We’re definitely into the action, but for me what’s more important than that is that it’s a story about brotherhood and friendship and responsibility. Right now, I’m with the characters because those are what attracted me to the movie. They’re the best characters I’ll have had a chance to deal with.”

Liebesman also revealed that they’ll probably be shooting later this year (“September, or something”) and they’re thinking about shooting in Canada. I’m not necessarily a die-hard TMNT fan, but I think I can live with the fact that the ooze in the reboot comes from an “alien race.” Having the turtles themselves be aliens would be pushing it, but if Liebesman’s comments are to be taken to heart then I think fans will be alright in the end.

Here’s the portion of Steve’s interview on TMNT. Look for the full interview next week and make sure to leave your thoughts in the comments below.

The nice thing is, it looks like they are definitely going with the Utrom angle for the origin. Which is great.

Jonathan_Liebesman-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-movieRegarding the “alien race” comments, Liebesman said the “alien” aspect actually comes straight from the series:

Look, it’s so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we’re sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”
    I bet this guy had to adjust his glasses and take a hit from his asthma puffer while writing this. I get the impression that he is one of those people who thinks they are a badass because they have an intimate knowledge of scifi shows and comic books. Whether he wants to admit it or not, Bay was wrong.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 03-25-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    I bet this guy had to adjust his glasses and take a hit from his asthma puffer while writing this. I get the impression that he is one of those people who thinks they are a badass because they have an intimate knowledge of scifi shows and comic books. Whether he wants to admit it or not, Bay was wrong.
    i think what you and everyone else fail to realize is this...michael bay is a in name producer only...he has little to know involvement with the film...the guy with the glasses you mention...yea thats the f ucking director and the writer...the guy who actually knows whats going on..bay just does what he always does...promote...nobody save for people on the site were talking about the ninja turtles...bay says that...and f ucking CNN is talking about it...people are actually paying attention to it....thats called marketing genius...and he didnt even have to pay for it...respect the bay.

I'm going to forget about this one

But I'm really curious what they get for it. Hopefully one of us will remember to check back when the auction closes.
    Lot 92357
    Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird: First-Ever Drawing of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1983)....
    2012 May 10-11 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction- Dallas #7059
    Original Comic Art:Illustrations, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird: First-Ever Drawing of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1983)....

Refresh Current Bid: $5,500
    w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $6,572.50
    Secret Maximum Bid:
    Currency Converter
    $ (whole dollars)
    Minimum Next Bid: $6,000 ($7,170.00 w/ BP)
    Heritage Live Enabled
    Reduced auction commissions when you resell your winnings
    Absentee Bidding
    Time Remaining:
    Live Signature Floor Session on May 11, 2012
    Absentee Bidding Ends: May 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM CT
    Item Activity: 6 Internet/mail/phone bidders
    65 members tracking
    1,458 page views
    Buyer's Premium: 19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.

Description: Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird: First-Ever Drawing of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1983). The story behind this piece is well-documented, but if you're joining us late, here's the full lowdown from the pen of Kevin Eastman:
    "Late in November 1983, Peter Laird and I were sharing a studio (our living room) in Dover, New Hampshire . One work night , in an effort to make Peter laugh, I drew a sketch of this character I called a "Ninja Turtle" and threw it onto Peter's desk. He did laugh, and did a version of his own -- to which I needed to take it one step further, and did a pencil sketch of four different Turtles, each holding a different weapon -- and gave it to Peter, who wanted to ink it in -- and when he did, he added "Teenage Mutant" to the "Ninja Turtle" part of the logo, and we both fell off our chairs!"
    "The next day, we both looked at the drawing, and decided that we really needed to come up with a story about how these characters came to be -- and began to hammer out the story details. Deciding to make it an homage/parody to some of our heroes and inspirations -- (and dedicating it to them) -- we worked through the winter of 1983-84, and after finding a local New England printer, we borrowed money from my Uncle Quentin, and we printed the first 3 ,000 copies -- premiering the book at a local Portsmouth comic convention May 5th, 1984.
    From that day forward, and for the next thirty years, the TMNTs became a world wide phenomenon (cartoons, toys, and movies) that even to this day we still try to completely understand -- and it all started with this drawing... "
    The piece should be familiar to most any Turtles fan, as it's been reprinted many times over the years. It was sent out in the original press release package back in 1984 and found its way into much of the early press coverage. It was also shown in the First Comics graphic novel in 1986, a special edition reprint of the first issue from 1992, and as a pin-up in some of the Mirage black and white issues.

Marker on paper. This piece has an image area of 8.5" x 11", and the art is in Excellent condition. From the Collection of Kevin Eastman.

Eastman, Kevin:Kevin Eastman is the co-creator of the wildly successful Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In between "TMNT" projects, he established the “Words and Pictures Museum of Cartoon Art”, created an artist friendly publishing company, “Tundra Publishing” where projects like “The Crow” “From Hell” and “American Splendor” first flourished, and purchased world renowned “Heavy Metal Magazine.” .
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on the auction

$50K. Cowabunga!
    Ninja Turtles' art comes out of sewers, onto auction block
    By Brian Truitt, USA TODAY
    Updated 16h 4m ago

A single drawing is just as key to the origin of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as the radioactive ooze that made them mutant in the first place.

Hatched in 1983: Original illustration by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird will be sold Friday. Bids are already over $50,000.

The first-ever illustration by TMNT creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird— drawn and inked one night in Dover, N.H., in November 1983, before the quartet of anthropomorphic shelled reptiles became a pop-culture phenomenon — will be up for auction this week by Heritage Auctions. Online bidding is going on now and will conclude with a live auction in Dallas on Friday. (Watch a live video feed at HA.com/Live.)

"It's time to let go of a lot of really cool, awesome Turtle memories," says Eastman, who was 21 and trying to break into comics when he took pencil to that 8½-by-11 sheet of paper.

Proceeds from the sale will go toward The Hero Initiative, an organization Eastman works with that helps comic creators who are without benefits pay medical bills, rent and other necessities.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began as an indie comic in 1984 from Eastman and Laird's own Mirage Studios publishing brand — "It was a mirage; it was just our living room," Eastman quips. After they cleaned out their personal bank accounts, they borrowed money from Eastman's uncle Quentin for the first issue's 3,000-copy print run.

"We made furniture out of them — coffee tables and bookshelves and things — because we never thought we'd actually sell them," Eastman says.

By the end of 1985, though, each issue was selling 100,000 copies a month, and the Turtles — Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Donatello — quickly became a cult success, leading to a phenomenon in the late '80s and early '90s with a cartoon series, live-action movies and merchandise.

"We knew we created something special," Eastman says.

Vintage comic books at auction can go for millions of dollars — an Action Comics No. 1, featuring 1938's first appearance of Superman, was sold for $2.1 million in December. Though the TMNT piece is far younger, it's one of a kind.

"It is pretty unusual for the first art of any major character to come around," says Barry Sandoval, director of operations for Heritage Auctions.

Already, bidding for the original drawing of the four Turtles has exceeded $50,000. Eastman, for one, isn't hazarding any guesses on the final bid.

"If you found the right person, it might be worth just about anything to them," says the creator, who now runs Heavy Metal magazine but is also involved creatively with the new IDW TMNT comic, the upcoming fall animated series and a Michael Bay Turtles movie.

Eastman, 49, has found that the Turtles are a generational thing — kids in the 1980s grew up loving them, and he has two little fans in his boys, 5 and 11.

He often goes to conventions and will have people waiting in line for four hours to get a sketch of one of the characters.

"I want to go take them coffee or something. It's pretty wild that it's been around this long and is still resonating.''
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New CGI Nick version

Coming to Nick Sept 29.
    Fall TV Preview
    'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' brings turtle power to Nickelodeon
    The series, with voices including Jason Biggs and Mae Whitman, is a new CG-animated series with some changes (April O'Neil is 16!).

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickelodeon. (Nickelodeon, Nickelodeon / July 24, 2012)
    By Robert Ito
    September 8, 2012, 12:00 p.m.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has become such an enormous global franchise — the action figures! the movies! the short-lived breakfast cereal! — that it's easy to forget that it began life in the early 1980s as little more than a goof.

Kevin Eastman was messing around with his friend and fellow artist Peter Laird, just doodling to pass the time, and came up with a sketch of a masked turtle, twin nunchaku at the ready. Even the title they came up with —"ENMV0002398">"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" — sounded like what it was: a joke told between fanboys.

Now, of course, TMNT fans are dead serious about their beloved turtles, so when word spread last year that Nickelodeon was planning to reboot the franchise, there were, well, concerns. It didn't help matters when "Transformers" director Michael Bay, who is producing a Turtles feature film due out in 2014, announced that his turtles, unlike the cartoon's, were going to be space aliens, not mutants, as one might expect from the franchise title.

On Sept. 29, Nickelodeon will premiere the fourth and latest TV series. The cable network, which recently pushed out its animation chief in wake of a steep ratings drop-off, could use a new hit.

In this go-round, the turtles are still mutants, much to the relief of the Comic-Con crowd, still love pizza, and are still living it up in the sewers underneath Manhattan. Corny, turtle-related puns, like "shelling out justice," are still in the mix.

But producers have plenty of changes in store, primarily, one assumes, to juice up the franchise for fans not yet conceived when the original series first aired in 1987. These turtles are CG-animated, for one, speedier, sleeker and less cartoonish than their '80s counterparts. Master Splinter is still a mutated rat, but this sensei is taller and more robust, and better able to throw down with his young pupils if need be.

And then there's April O'Neil. In the original series, April was a gutsy TV reporter, a career woman, equal parts den mother and resident crush. In the new series, April is 16.

"When I remember April, there was a lot of, 'I'm going to work now, don't mess up the house,'" says Ciro Nieli, an executive producer on the new series. "We're really playing on the idea of the turtles being teenagers, so it just felt appropriate that if April is going to be a fully functioning member of the crew, she should be a peer."

Supplying the voice of April is Mae Whitman, "Parenthood's" Amber Holt and the voice of Tinker Bell in the "Disney Fairies" DVDs. "My boyfriend is a few years older than me, and when he heard I got to play this, he couldn't process it, he was so excited," she says. "April was probably one of his first crushes. I've been getting that a lot lately: 'April was my first crush!'"

Jason Biggs, who plays Leonardo, the leader of the team, has gotten a similar response from fans. "Honestly, it's probably the thing that people get most excited about, because it's just such an iconic franchise," he says.

For his part, Nieli figures the show has all the elements of a hit. "People love turtles, people love pizza, there's something about the self-discipline of being a martial artist that's really intoxicating," he says. "And humans in general love pets. If they were the 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Trashmen,' it probably wouldn't have worked as well."

calendar@latimes.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

filming in April in NYC

Bay "sodomising" the original films?

January 14, 2013 9:29
    Controversial new 'Ninja Turtles' movie to begin filming this April

Fans aren't sure about the reboot, which is being produced by 'Transformers' director Michael Bay

The controversial new Ninja Turtles movie will begin filming this April (2013).

Industry insiders Production Weekly broke the news with the following tweet:

Production Weekly @prodweek

Principle photography on TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, is scheduled to begin this April in New York.
    12 Jan 13
    Ninja Turtles, a reboot of the popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise from the 90s, is being produced by Transformers director Michael Bay. Jonathan Liebesman (Battle: Los Angeles) will direct.

The project has already attracted its fair share of controversy. Last March (2012), when Bay revealed plans to re-imagine the turtles as aliens, he was accused of "sodomising" the original films by Robbie Rist, the actor who voiced Michaelangelo. Bay later spoke out to reassure fans.

Then in September (2012), a leaked script began circulating online and got savaged by Peter Laird, co-creator of the original TMNT comic books. Bay stepped in again, writing on his website: " The leaked script for Ninja Turtles that different sites continue to comment on was written well before I… was involved with the project. That script saw the shredder a long time ago."

Ninja Turtles was originally scheduled for release this Christmas (2013), but has since been pushed back to May 16 2014 - the same day as the new Godzilla movie from Warner Bros.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the whole film got put into turn around. so it could be rewritten, so people should just chill. until a trailer or something tangible surfaces.

Kelly Hu as Karai

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Megan Fox as April O’Neil

That works for me.
    Megan Fox to Star in 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Reboot
    5:43 PM PST 2/21/2013 by Borys Kit

Michael Bay is producing the movie based on the 1980s comic book.
    Power Lunch: Megan Fox
    Michael Buckner/Getty Images for Maui Film Festival
    Megan Fox

Megan Fox has buried the hatchet with Michael Bay and will now star as the female lead in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the live-action CG hybrid movie Bay is producing for Paramount.

Fox will play April O’Neil, the human friend of the Ninja Turtles.

Bay let the cat out of the bag on his site with the simple phrase: TMNT: we are bringing Megan Fox back into the family!

Sources say Fox and Bay reconciled over a series of recent meetings and that one tete-a-tete that won her over was with director Jonathan Liebesman, who wowed her with the storyboards, according to insiders. (Bay is not directing the movie but producing it via his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form.)

The movie is in the casting stage and last week was testing actors, mostly relative unknowns, for the roles of the Ninjas – Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael – which will be motion-captured.

Fox, repped by ICM, starred in Bay’s first two Transformers movies before on-set friction and public comments led to her being written out of 2011's Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

way to poop in your own nest

As if Laird isn't cashing in on this. He sold control away already. No regrets, man.
    ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Co-Creator Peter Laird Comments on Megan Fox’s Casting
    Posted on Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 by Angie Han

Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot has was met with suspicion from the get-go, and every move has just seemed to irritate fans more. The latest debacle was the casting of producer Michael Bay‘s one-time nemesis Megan Fox as April O’Neil — not really the best way to convince audiences that TMNT wouldn’t just be a Transformers rehash.

Where Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman has been vocal about his support of the film (which likely has something to do with the fact that he’s been involved all along), co-creator Peter Laird has been far more critical of the endeavor. And he’s no happier about the casting of Fox than other TMNT fans have been. Hit the jump to keep reading.

Laird offered his thoughts in the comments section of his blog.

My only exposure to Megan Fox as an actress is through her role in two “Transformers” movies and the wretched (but happily forgettable) “Jennifer’s Body”. It may not be fair to judge her range of acting skills just from those three movies, but I think it is safe to say that there are probably hundreds of better choices for the role of April O’Neil. Of course, her name has promotional value, and maybe that’s what they want. Who knows? I can’t get myself too worked up about it.

I’d argue that Fox isn’t such a terrible actress, but then I didn’t hate Jennifer’s Body as much as some people did. But she’s a less exciting choice than Anna Kendrick, Jane Levy, or Elizabeth Olson, all of whom were reportedly also up for the role, and the combination of Fox and Bay isn’t a promising one.

Fox is currently the only cast member announced for the film, but that’s certain to change soon as director Jonathan Liebesman is preparing to shoot in April. Ninja Turtles will open June 6, 2014.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips