Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    ... I can take my "pocket-knife" anywhere I go and nobody cares.
    Enh!
    "Not always!"
    I "habitually" carry a pair (left & right) of one model or another of the older Spyderco knives.... except when I want to go into a government building, an airport, etc.
    Dad-blamed metal-detectors!

It remains to be seen just how far this kind of security will go.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Enh!
    "Not always!"
    I "habitually" carry a pair (left & right) of one model or another of the older Spyderco knives.... except when I want to go into a government building, an airport, etc.
    Dad-blamed metal-detectors!

It remains to be seen just how far this kind of security will go.
    Ah! Very true! But note that I said "everywhere that I go." I don't travel through the airport very often, and the government/military building where I work doesn't have metal detectors.

Hey Phil!

With all due respect Sir I can definately disagree with that having had to fight close quarters with a K Bar in Vietnam.

---Disagreements are allowed!
    Yes they are.

. . . . . To me, the strength of the BJD is that it is a double weapon that has direct transfer to and from the empty-hand methods. Try to use it as just a single weapon and you lose a lot of that. A single weapon method is primarily one-sided, whereas empty-hands and BJD concepts emphasize using both sides equally. This is a major tactical difference when it comes to weapons. Now the weapon-hand and the empty-hand are doing very different things and the weapon takes precedence. Movements are no longer symmetrical. The length of the weapon makes a big difference as well. In some respects, the bigger weapon can be easier to deal with than the shorter tactical folder. Movements with the tactical folder are tighter, faster, more elusive, and more changeable. These are major factors to take into consideration. So...yes....BJD is "adaptable." But wouldn't it be better to train something that is directly applicable rather than something that must be "adapted"? Or, if you are going to "adapt" things, then make it a formal change and actually train it that way until it works like you hope it will. Of course that may be exactly what you are doing.
    I think of real uses for WC. At our school we train to fight with one hand. A person's hand could be injured in a real fight so they'll have to defend themselves with the other arm. This is a real scenario. If you have two blade one can be dropped, broken or whatever. Since WC is principle based adaptation in inherent.
    I can send you some clips of our one blade training. You'll see the WC.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I see no need for myself to have trained for 2 knives. One is enough. A good cutting tool only needs to be an inch or 2 long, and it is a lot easier to use and is less likely to be taken from you in a fight. I use it on a center line method where anything that comes to me has to come past my cutting tool. Sure, I have been cut. A bunch of times. But it was not free. I got my cut in.
    I think Phil makes a great point as well on one hand fighting. One night as I came into my work place I was stopped by a couple of friends and fellow employees and we were discussing food if I remember right. Suddenly a hand shot from between my buddies and hit me in the left chest. It hurt like the devil too. A fellow that I had struggled with before was getting his shot in. The knife was an old timer with 3 blades. He had used the longer blade and had stabbed me rather than slashing me. I have thick pecks and that took up a couple of inches of blade, leaving him about an inch and a quarter of blade, which pierced through a rib and touched my left lung. My left arm was instantly usless as I could not lift it at all due to the knife through the chest muscle. I had to reach across with my right hand and take hold of his knife hand, doing a short circle wrist lock and pulling him forward and onto the floor. I kicked him in the very top of his head. That was just a quick reaction kick, but turned out to be a very bad decision. For him.
    Drew, I told about the parking lot ambush that ended in a life lost. Well, this occasion also ended several days later in loss of life. I was standing in court one day, worried that I would have to spend time in prison, because the prosicutor was trying to get a judge to determine that I used a deadly weapon. This way he could charge me with feloneous assault which led to death. The judge told him that it was reduculous because he could not deny me the right to defend myself. I had not used a weapon as such. But then he forbid me to ever seek employment in an establishment where alchohol was sold or consumed in that state. I could not enter such a place even as a patron. That was the 8th time in 7 months that I had appeared before that same judge due to someone being killed or seriously injured.
    I am always fearful every time I have a confrontation. It is probably my salvation. I do carry a knife, but I would not draw this knife in a fight unless I was really taking it in the neck. If the other person should draw a knife maybe, or if I was seriously outnumbered. I am no hero, and the good guy always finishes last. So, when it comes down to my having to cut someone, consider it done.
    I can not say one way or the other if the butterfly knives or the staff would have helped me since I am not real familiar with them. But if you say so, then you are probably right.
    I was not trained to fight with a staff, but I was shown several techniques to defend against the staff, spear, or maybe even arrows. Not much use today either.

Chiang

Sorry, I was asked how the knife related to rooting. I am not sure what was meant, but I fight from a rooted stance no matter what I am doing. It is the same with a knife as with bare hand fighting almost.
    Also, was asked if I would toss the wooden dummy into the closet too. Not hardly. I don't carry that thing around with me, but I can wail on it rather than a training buddy. You go hitting your training bud with all you have and he will not last long. Now and then I like to get out back and whip on the mook some. Keeps you flowing. It has nothing really to do with the practicality of big knives or a stick that I can recognize though.

Chiang

Ah! Very true! But note that I said "everywhere that I go." I don't travel through the airport very often, and the government/military building where I work doesn't have metal detectors.
    "How nice for you!"

Just about everything of any level "government" in the LA area has 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    That was the 8th time in 7 months that I had appeared before that same judge due to someone being killed or seriously injured.
    Chiang
    Wow!!! Sounds like you have had good luck because you are still around to tell the tale, but man have you must have some seriously bad Karma!

Wow!!! Sounds like you have had good luck because you are still around to tell the tale, but man have you must have some seriously bad Karma!

I think you are right. I seem to have really bad Karma. And I think I have been very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    It's good to see someone else practicing Chi Do. Without it you have no Do. Do you practice with one blade as well?
    Yeah we do Phil, although its mainly as a result of one of the wooden training Do's breaking LOL.

Im a right hander and have trained with only one Do in my left hand to make my skill more even... Took a while to really own Bong Do power etc with the left and my chops wernt that powerful.

I bet those hand-to-hand methods you were taught were tailor-made for dealing with that kind of fighting. The Wing Chun BJD is not
    Yes, you have a point there. It would be a stretch

That's not at all what I meant. The hypothetical situation was you encountering an attacker with a small knife, using BJD tactics as your primary defense, and not faring very well. I'd just hate to see that happen.
    Fair call K. Im not looking to do that, my first reactions is run.... and again i was talking Practicallity in terms of what the BJD can offer you to use. Its certainly not meant for short knife fighting i agree. Perhaps it was a knee jerk reaction to LCP on my part

I havent mentioned it because it has no relevance to the BJD, but ive been shown certain techs for knife attacks and they are akin to your appraoch in terms of controlling the weapons.

They are block the initial attack , seize and control the hand/arm, stomp a knee/leg to drop him, circle around the ground opponent to further disable his control of said arm you've seized and stomp the head as the finishing action.
    The steppig involved in this one example is quite similar to the BJD IMO.

But i do realise the BJD techs limits.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Hey Drew!

Fair call K. Im not looking to do that, my first reactions is run....

---The first reaction is usually the best reaction.

I havent mentioned it because it has no relevance to the BJD, but ive been shown certain techs for knife attacks and they are akin to your appraoch in terms of controlling the weapons. They are block the initial attack , seize and control the hand/arm, stomp a knee/leg to drop him, circle around the ground opponent to further disable his control of said arm you've seized and stomp the head as the finishing action. The steppig involved in this one example is quite similar to the BJD IMO.

---That's good. I think you see that these tactics would be considered "chasing hands" from a Wing Chun perspective. But this is what is required to deal with a sharp weapon. You have to chase that weapon-hand down and control it. So the tactics and approach have to be different from Wing Chun empty-hand fighting. A Tan Da might very well stop a wild swinging punch and catch the guy on the chin. But put a knife in his hand with that same swinging motion and you just might find yourself seriously injured as the guy goes down because his knife-hand is still in play. But I think we've beat this drum well enough. What was this thread about?

So what is this rooting stuffs is about?

So what is this rooting stuffs is about?

What is it?

What is the purpose?

What is the training?

How to do it?........

and what is the issue here related to rooting? what works what doesnt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSyh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUXwVvs2oU\

IMHO, it got nothing to do with WCK or MMA, it got to do with general law of nature and if one practice according to it or partial or no experience to it.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-18-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Time to outdate structure and rooting

Time to outdate structure and rooting in WCK.

What do you think ?

I think you have no idea what you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I think you have no idea what you are talking about
    Share with us what is your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Share with us what is your idea.
    I just did