Thread: Wu Dang

Wu Dang

There are two more photos if you follow the link. I like Chiu Man Cheuk's work.
    Yang Mi to Star in Action Film "Wu Dang"
    2011-11-04 10:25:41 Chinese Films

Yang Mi (M), Chiu Man Cheuk (L-2), Fan Siu-Wong (L-1), To Yu-Hang (R-2) and Wang Xiao attended the event. [Photo: Mtime.com]

"Mysterious Island" actress Yang Mi will showcase her potential talent for martial arts for the first time in the action-heavy film "Wu Dang," Mtime.com reports.

The production company behind the treasure hunt film hosted a launch ceremony yesterday on Wudang Mountain in Hubei Province.

Director Patrick Leung, scriptwriter and producer Chan Khan along with cast members Yang Mi, Chiu Man Cheuk, Fan Siu-Wong, To Yu-Hang and Wang Xiao attended the event.

Yang, who wore a costume by Oscar-winning Japanese designer Emi Wada, said she would play a role of a young woman from an exotic land with high-level martial arts in the film.

Hong Kong veteran actress Paw Hee Ching and "Starry Starry Night" child star Xu Jiao also have cameo roles in the flick.

Set in the Republic of China, "Wu Dang" tells the story of top martial artists hunting for treasure on Wudang Mountain.

At present, some of the film's scenes are being shot on the mountain. Later, the shooting location will transfer to Shanghai.

The film is expected to hit cinemas during next year's summer holidays.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Holy Snakes!

Follow the link to the first trailer and then click the link to our KFTC20TH promo vid and compare the soundtracks.

First Trailer For Martial Arts Film WU DANG
    by Al Young, May 7, 2012 2:33 PM

Backed by three strong Kung Fu performers - Vincent Zhao (aka Chiu Man Chuk), Dennis To and Louis Fan - Wu Dang (大武当之天地密码) is the first martial arts film that captures the treasure of Wu Dang Kung Fu and the mysticism of Ying Yang. The director is Patrick Leung (Twin Effects 2) with Corey Yuen (Shaolin) serving as action choreographer. Also in the cast is Mini Yang and Xu Jiao.

In early Republican China, rumors were going around about the treasure in Wudang Mountain. An American conspirator took his well-trained kung fu daughter to Wudang by sponsoring a Taoist martial arts competition, to steal the treasure. Out of expectation, a disciple represented Wudang to compete with other martial arts masters for the championship. During the competition, resentment incurred against different parties, the relationship became complicated, a Korean female Tai Chi descendant fell in love with the American conspirator and the secret of the treasure had been revealed. The treasure is the key of the magnetic field of Wudang, if it's stolen, Wudang would be devastated. To protect Wudang, a group of young heroes rallied around to defeat grant masters. It's the time the long-lost Wudang martial arts returned...

It will be release theatrically in China around the summer. You'll find the trailer embedded below.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm in...

An interesting take...kind of Indiana Jiang meets Wudang. The fight scenes didn't look that great but I'd see it for the Wudang scenery and the flying hottie kicking eveyone in the teeth.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I will watch this, but when I first saw the trailer, it wasn't too compelling.

colorful...

WD working it at Cannes

Promotional Posters of Kung Fu Drama "Wu Dang" Out
    2012-05-16 15:21:36 Chinese Films

The Chinese martial-arts film "Wu Dang" is set to debut at the 65th Cannes International Film Festival, Mtime.com has reported.

Promotional posters featuring two of the lead actors – kung fu star Man Cheuk Chiu, and Yang Mi – were released today to build momentum for the film's release at Cannes.

Directed by Patrick Leung and with choreography by Corey Yuen, "Wu Dang" also stars Fan Siu-Wong and Xu Jiao.

It has been revealed that actress Yang Mi has arrived in France to help promote the film, which is her first kung fu debut.

The festival will run from May 16 to May 27.

By Liu Shuai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BIG Wudang

Is that a dig on the small forest?
    Zhao Wenzhuo's martial art film premieres in July
    Updated: 2012-06-05 11:15
    ( China Daily)

Zhao Wenzhuo's martial art film premieres in July

Mainland kung fu star Zhao Wenzhuo will show off his skills in Wudang martial arts in his new film.

Tentatively titled Big Wudang, the story is set in the early 20th century with Zhao playing opposite rising actress Yang Mi, who debuts as a swordswoman.

Wudang, one of the two major martial arts schools in China besides Shaolin, requires the individual to discipline the mind and is, therefore, often known as an "internal art".

Zhao has studied martial arts since he was 8 and became an established martial artist at 20.

The film's locations include the Wudang Mountains in Hubei province, which is believed to be where the school originated.

The film will premiere in July.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens Friday

It's a family-friendly comedy.
    New Chinese kung fu movie released
    Updated: 2012-07-03 15:13
    By Liu Wei ( chinadaily.com.cn)

Kung fu star Zhao Wenzhuo (L 2nd) attends a press conference for new film Wu Dang.

Mainland martial arts practitioner Zhao Wenzhuo leads two younger kung fu stars in a new film called Wu Dang, a comedy about hunting for treasure to be released on July 6.

Zhao has been a kung fu star since his debut in 1995. An accomplished martial art practitioner and national contest champion, Zhao plays a master in Wu Dang, one of the two most influential kung fu schools in China. The other is Shao Lin.

Two younger kung fu stars, Louis Fan and Dennis To, support him in the film, which also stars mainland actress Yang Mi. The film contains Yang’s first fighting sequences seen on the big screen.

Zhao says he will take his children to see the film, which is family-friendly and “hilarious”.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Premieres

"Wu Dang" Film Premieres in Beijing
    2012-07-03 14:33:06 CRIENGLISH.com/DGA Quarterly

Cast members of the film "Wu Dang" (from left to right) Vincent Zhao, Yang Mi and Louis Fan promote the film at a press conference in Beijing on July 2, 2012. [Photo: CRIENGLISH.com/Handout]

The Chinese film "Wu Dang", which offers a combination of action, adventure and comedy, has premiered in Beijing.

The movie features Vincent Zhao, Yang Mi, Louis Fan and Dennis To in a treasure-hunting story similar to "Tomb Raider".

Patrick Leung, a long-time assistant for director John Woo, helms the film.

Oscar-winning Japanese costume designer Emi Wada is responsible for its costume design.

"Wu Dang" will open in Chinese cinemas on July 6.
    "Wu Dang" Premieres in Hangzhou
    2012-07-02 15:54:47 Chinese Films

Chiu Cheuk Man (L) and To Yu-Hang (R).[Photo:mtime.com]

Actors Chiu Cheuk Man and To Yu-Hang attended a premiere press conference for the upcoming film "Wu Dang" in Hangzhou on June 30, Mtime.cm reports.

The two actors both graduated from Beijing Sport University. When asked which one is the better martial artist, Chiu or Donnie Yip, To says it is difficult to say for certain. "They have two different styles. Chiu Chiu Cheuk Man is really a hard-working actor. He is a famous star, but he still practices his martial arts everyday."

By Ma Sicong
    The race for the first KFM review here is officially ON.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Location, location, location

Wu Dang 大武當之天地密碼
    China/Hong Kong
    Period martial arts adventure
    2012, 2.35:1, colour, 100 mins

Directed by Patrick Leung (梁柏堅)
    Wu Dang

By Derek Elley

Fri, 20 July 2012, 23:15 PM (HKT)

Light action-adventure works OK as family fare but not much more than that. Asian and genre events.
    Story

Shanghai, early Republican China, 1920s. Professor Tang Yunlong (Vincent Zhao), a widowed adventurer, returns to China from the US for the first time since he left during the Qing dynasty. He is sponsoring some 500th anniversary martial arts games at a Daoist monastery in the Wudang Mountains, Hubei province, in which his teenage daughter, Tang Ning (Josie Xu), is to compete. En route to Shanghai's railway station, Yunlong stops off to advise a friend from the Manchu nobility on the purchase of a 2,000-year-old sword, reputed to have magical properties, that has long gone missing. The seller is an overseas Chinese arts trafficker, Paul Chen (Shaun Tam), who is asking US$300,000. Yunlong spots that the sword is a fake and narrowly escapes alive when Chen tries to kill him. However, Yunlong manages to keep a coded Wudang treasure map he found in the sword's box. Among those assembling for the games is Tian Xin (Mini Yang), a member of the clan who once owned the sword, who has been entrusted by her grandfather to recover it and has a copy of the same treasure map. Tian Xin and Tang Ning both win their initial heats in the games, though Yunlong tells his daughter to take things more seriously. Searching separately in the mountains one night, Yunlong and Tian Xin find a cave with some swords but are attacked by their guardian, monk Bai Long (Dennis To). Yunlong and Tian Xin agree to join forces, with her keeping the sword and him keeping the rest of the treasure. Meanwhile, Tian Ning has got to know a young monk, Shui Heyi (Louis Fan), who is being trained by the chief abbot, Xie (Henry Fong), in "sleeping kung-fu". Yunlong and Tian Xin try to decipher the secrets of the treasure map, but then Chen turns up looking for revenge.
    Review

Wu Dang 大武當之天地密碼 is a period martial arts adventure whose slim story and so-so protagonists are dwarfed by the spectacular setting of the eponymous mountains in central China. Seen as a family film aimed at young audiences, it works just fine, with good action (staged by Hong Kong veteran Corey YUEN 元奎), okay visual effects (revolving round an ancient magic sword), plain colloquial dialogue, and a plot that a five-year-old could follow. Largely made, like current release The Four 四大名捕, by Hong Kongers using Mainland money and locations, it has a similarly routine, somewhat old-fashioned feel; unlike the more ambitious The Four, it at least knows what it is and gets the job done in a professional way.

The movie is the first feature in five years by director Patrick LEUNG 梁柏堅, a onetime assistant to John WOO 吳宇森 who also did second unit work on Red Cliff 赤壁 (2008). Leung's initial action dramas, like Somebody Up There Likes Me 浪漫風暴 (1995) and Beyond Hypothermia 攝氏32° (1996), had real personality, but during the past decade or so he's become more of a genre journeyman (La Brassiere 絕世好Bra (2001), Demi-Haunted 魂魄唔齊 (2002), The Twins Effect II 千機變Ⅱ 花都大戰 (2004)). Wu Dang starts by looking like a lavish, period treasure-hunter adventure but soon gets strapped by the weak script by writer-producer Khan CHAN 陳汗, gaping plot holes, and lack of a budget appropriate to the production. As an adult action-drama, it doesn't really cut the mustard. What keeps it watchable are the light leading performances by throaty Mainland hottie Mini YANG 楊冪 (in her first starring role in a major movie), likeable Hong Kong actor-martial artist Louis FAN 樊少皇, 14-year-old Mainland actress Josie XU 徐嬌 (CJ7 長江7號 (2008), Starry Starry Night 星空) and even martial arts veteran Vincent ZHAO 趙文卓, who shows some signs of a mature personality here as an early 20th-century treasure hunter.

When he does leap into action, Zhao is as reliable as ever. Yang employs the same perky offhandedness that made her bird-spirit in Painted Skin: The Resurrection 畫皮Ⅱ so enjoyable and, though never remotely believable as a martial artist, goes through the moves okay. Yuen's action sequences are the highlights, with slick use of wire-work, slo-mo and inventive choreography that actually advance the plot: in one sequence, Yang and Zhao's characters start to bond in more way than one, as do Fan and Xu's characters in another. Hong Kong veteran Lincoln LO 羅堅's score is acute, and editing by CHEUNG Ka-fai 張嘉輝 very smooth throughout. But the real star is the Unesco World Heritage Site in northwestern Hubei province, with its mountain peaks, precipitous Daoist monasteries and ethereal cloudscapes.
    I like how this is tied to both The Four and Painted Skin 2.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review!

I've always liked Zhao Wenzhou. He's an underrated kung fu star. Here, he plays an Indiana Jones/Asian Hawk like adventurer from turn of the century. He's a scholar because he wears Harry Potter specs and a scarf, but an adventurer with a slick leather trench. Josie Xu plays his cutesy fighter daughter dressed like Amelia Earhart with Princess Leia hair. She bugged me. Too cutesy. Mini Tang is Zhao's hot rival. Louis Fan is as bug-eyed as always, and he studies sleeping kung fu, which is as absurd as it sounds.

This is a kid's film, or I should say it's kid friendly. There's even what I call the 'Disney death' where a character dies and everyone is sad for a moment, then they are miraculously restored to life. Disney did that with Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, actually it would be easier to list the films where that wasn't done. In Wudang, it happens twice, right in a row, which isn't even a spoiler because the plot is fairly predictable.

Set on location, Wudang has some spectacular backdrops and rich textures. Having been to Wudang, there was a lot of 'been there, done that' for me. The costumes are lavish. The story is simple, a bit long-winded between fight scenes. There's some really crappy CGI which comes in late and totally spoils the feel of the film. The story circles around a search for some mystical items and when some of them finally appear, they are disappointing because the CGI feels dated by a decade or so.

It's choreographed by Corey Yuen, who is the king of cartoon kung fu. There's a lot of flying about, including my fav wire kick, often dubbed the 'Wong Fei Hung kick,' where someone flings their body through the air horizontally and unloads several kicks in mid air to the opponent like they're dancing the fandango on them. I know that's not possible, but I still dream of kicking someone like that. There are several dance-like fights, including a particularly funny one with Zhao and Tang fending off assailants. Lots of sword fights. It's all about finding a mystic sword and Wudang is famous for swordsmanship. There's also fan fights, necklace fights, pudao fights, and several chick fights. The choreography is all stereotypical Corey, good flow with absurd gravity-defying moves not in anyway realistic but entertaining nonetheless. The violence is very stylized, not brutal. It's not bloody, save a few standard blood spit-ups to show when someone is actually supposed to be hurt. There is one portion of the final fight where the mystic power is swirling around, bending time and space, that's pretty cool, but the sequence only lasts a few minutes, then goes back to the mediocre CGI.

Not a major film, but better than watching more Beach Volleyball in Long Johns...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I enjoyed the movie. I saw it on YouTube.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

HH Review-The voice of reason

Think Indiana Jones meets Shaw Bros. The protagonists are in search of an ancient magical sword and items from the Tang dynasty using a treasure map. I was hoping for some more scenery around Wudang and perhaps some discussion of Daoist thought. Those were all superficial covered as to be expected, more of teenage orientated audience from my perspective.

Some decent martial sequences and a few not so much. The version I saw had poor English subtitles...definitely some lost in translation moments. Gene covered the storyline but a couple of great highlights for me:

1)When they arrive at Wudang, the head Daoist priest apparently is found dead, shortly there after only to find out he was actually just 'hibernating' and he gets right up after being found face down not breathing in the temple.

2)The young Daoist acolyte has brought his paraplegic mother to Wudang, I guess it has curative powers??? Anyway the once dead/hibernating priest cures his mom (not sure how) so the Acolyte can participate in the kung fu tournament. Its hilarious, the Mom after being paralyzed for years gets up and starts walking.

An odd story line. I completely agree with Gene about the crappy CGI effects...that's where they were channeling the Shaw Bros.

I give it 5 Bawangs out of 10.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Just watched it.

Nothing especially special, but an entertaining fantasy nonetheless, and the Indiana Jones vibe was something a bit fresh anyway.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.