Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Promise Part 1

co-written with Mike DiMartino and Brian Konietzko
illustrated by Gurihiru
published by Dark Horse Comics
recommended for Middle School and Up
available 1/25/12 at your comics shop, 2/7/12 at your indie bookstore and Amazon.com

Three or so episodes into the Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon series, I was hooked. When it ended, I cried rivers. When I found out Nickelodeon was making a sequel series called The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra, I hugged everyone I came into contact with for the next 24 hours. And when Dark Horse Comics asked me to write graphic novels to bridge the two animated series, I hyperventilated so hard it was like I was airbending.
A:TLA The Promise Behind the Scenes

Avatar: The Last Airbender--The Promise Part 1 Tops Bookscan at #1!
02/15/2012 12:17pm

In an amazing show of demand for Dark Horse’s newest graphic novel, Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Promise Part 1 soared to the top of the Bookscan charts last week!

Written by Gene Luen Yang, author of the National Book Award-nominated American Born Chinese, Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 1 marks the continuation of Airbender and the link to its upcoming sequel, Legend of Korra!

Ever since the conclusion of Avatar: The Last Airbender, its millions of fans have been hungry for more--and it's finally here! This series rejoins Aang and friends for exciting new adventures, beginning with a faceoff against the Fire Nation that threatens to throw the world into another war, testing all of Aang's powers and ingenuity!

Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Promise Part 1 is a must-have for any Airbender fan! This is the latest release in an ongoing partnership between Nickelodeon and Dark Horse to bring you the very best in Airbender books.

Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Promise Part 1 is on sale now!

Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Promise Part 2 is on sale May 30th
Avatar: The Last Airbender Volume 2—The Promise Part 2 TPB

Aang and Katara are working tirelessly for peace when an impasse between Fire Lord Zuko and Earth King Kuei over Fire Nation colonies within the borders of the Earth Nation threatens to plunge the world back into war! Meanwhile, Sokka must help Toph prepare her hapless first class of metalbending students to defend their school against a rival class of firebenders!

* Written by Eisner winner and National Book Award nominee Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese).

* Combined, Avatar: The Art of the Animated Series and Avatar: The Lost Adventures have sold over 30 thousand copies.