Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hanging Up My Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Now I totally rely on one. It's all a matter of finding a good healer. A good healer, no matter what the discipline, is a true gem.

Couldn't resist.
    ROTFLMAO !!!

And that is the crux of the matter, as with all things, you gotta find a good one.
    Just like any other profession, the medical ones has its good, great and butchers.
    I have found that people tend to be more picky and unforgiving about their mechanics than their doctors !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

At 51 I'm on this wagon too...degenerative discs at L4, L5, S1; ACL reconstruction last year. Quit kung fu training and am focusing on tai chi and qigong. Still like to slap hands with the young guys, would love to do take downs but am too wary of the knee and back.

I never got to fight full contact, just point sparring. I could probably hold my own in a fight....if it didn't drag on *huff, puff*
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

There are times that going up the stairs my knee gives out or my shoulder is in so much pain I have a hard time putting on a jacket and my wife asks if I am ok and I always say,"Fine".
    Of course as we know, "fine" or a MA and "fine" for a normal person is NOT the same thing, LMAO !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    At 51 I'm on this wagon too...degenerative discs at L4, L5, S1; ACL reconstruction last year. Quit kung fu training and am focusing on tai chi and qigong. Still like to slap hands with the young guys, would love to do take downs but am too wary of the knee and back.

I never got to fight full contact, just point sparring. I could probably hold my own in a fight....if it didn't drag on *huff, puff*
    Also 51, but most people don't believe me when I tell them.

Been trying to recover from a knee overuse injury for the past year. No other major issues.

I found that heavy bag workouts helped to even out or normalize imbalances in my back muscles. It's also been good cardio/interval training since I can't run right now.

Not ready to cut back on activity. I find that the less activity I take on, the less I'm able to be active, and the more problems I have when I try. Looking at my teacher and his generation, I think that was his problem.

Just need to be more aware of the dramatically slower healing process nowadays.

But like I said, I have to focus on ending things quickly so there's less time to get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I found that heavy bag workouts helped to even out or normalize imbalances in my back muscles. It's also been good cardio/interval training since I can't run right now.
    Heavy bag is also good for iron body or kao da type conditioning.

I was in a car accident last month. Rear-ended and spun across the freeway and into the embankment. Car was totalled.

I came out of it with only a very mildly stiff neck which was fine after a couple days. Much less soreness than from a typical workout.

My sihing says that probably the conditioning gave me an advantage.

Maybe we should start an over the hill thread, where we can all complain about our ailing backs and SR could share his wisdom on erectile dysfunction.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

You may have something there, HH

Here I've been thinking that you're all young fit cage fighters. Now I learn you're all old and broken.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I am 43, and in the xame boat as the rest of you guys. I have a torn labrium in my right hip my doc tells my most likley will go arthritic some day and need to be replaced. I also have cronic lower back issues. The dam thing kills me all day long getting up from sitting ect. Only time it feels fine is when rolling in bjj, and sparing in koykishin. Starts hurting again soon as I cool off......though of quiting, but what's the point my injuries still hurt when I do nothing, might as well train.

I tried a chiro......a few actually. They never really helped. I stoped going to them when some started telling me they could cure cancer ect with minipulations...........

Quote Originally Posted by maxattck View Post
    Starts hurting again soon as I cool off......though of quiting, but what's the point my injuries still hurt when I do nothing, might as well train.
    Exactly. Actually, everything hurts more when I reduce my training.

I might be slightly broken, but not as broken as an overweight 37 year old mouse potato snarfing on bacon cheeseburgers, haha.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Here I've been thinking that you're all young fit cage fighters. Now I learn you're all old and broken.

LOL, any chance I could use that when I start my own office?

Dude, what we are saying is to be careful and that advice would extend to ANY medical or physical rehab program.
    I know, and I'm not making this personal or anything, but the Chiropractic profession has had to defend itself for over a century because of the once criminal org AMA.

No harm, no foul.

I'm 29, and dealing with my first chronic injury. I strained my right pec minor lifting weights a year ago, and then it developed into bicipital tendonitis, and now just tendinosis.

It flares up, I stretch and foam roll. Most days it feels good, but can't bench as much as I could before. Oh well.

I learned Taiji over a 7 year period, never really could take it very far in a martial art fashion but it's nice to know it will come in handy in about 20-30 years .

Here's me, knee brace and punching bag, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post

There are statistically less injuries for Chiropractors (DC's) than MD's; and not to mention that MD's insurance premiums are higher.

Another thing to add, is that a DC's education is just as rigorous as any other medical profession.
    Just out of curiosity, where did you get this statistic? What is it comparing? DC manipulations versus say neurosurgery? Does this include all specialties? Just wondering.