Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Are TMAs mostly dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    If "MMA" is so superior (and we know with certainty that you personally represent the body of it's exponents LMAO) why do so many feel the need to talk trash over the net? It all plays out as a sign of massive insecurity.

This is such a pathetic subject regarding the supposed death of traditional Gung Fu.
    I'm sorry if you got your feelings hurt impatiently expecting to be a master in just a few short lessons

I hope one day when you look back with the wisdom of age, the belated realization of how you horribly shamed yourself here before all our members that you won't be too hard on yourself
    None the less you are entitled to your opinions.

I was at a competition today with martial artist from many styles interacting harmoniously.

No trash talk, no redicule, just a beautiful day doing what we love.

As you were....
    I think you don't really get what I'm getting at is ... typical CMA / tournament the applications that are covered represent maybe 5% of the CMA applications of the forms, if that. Sanshou / Sanda doesn't really cover much.

I'm not saying MMA is better or trying to trash anybody, just saying that a lot of TMAs are terribly boring because they cover so many forms without apps for years.

That's why I'm offering alternatives, not just trying to troll. IMHO if CMA were offered in a format like MMA or like Aikido, without years of forms, it would be a lot better, at least for me.

I spent a lot of time in 2007 checking out styles of CMA and studying applications, etc. I don't think TCMA is dead, but I think unless instructors change their format (more sanshou / sanda) or SOMETHING, that it will wane in popularity compared to other things.

Anybody notice that maybe tai chi is on a downtrend to, compared to 'qigong'? in the U.S.? I see a lot more signs for qigong and a lot fewer for tai chi. Maybe it is easier, for older people to stand and move a tiny bit, compared to being 200+ lbs and pulling off even a 24 movement tai chi form.

Anyway, maybe I've beaten the horse to death here. Personally, I think that a lot of instructors will try to find some way to stay in business, but I've seen instructors pull out before, so maybe not.

If TCMA were truly dead, it would not have the most popular MA board on the web and the constant proclamations that it is dead would cease.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    If TCMA were truly dead, it would not have the most popular MA board on the web and the constant proclamations that it is dead would cease.
    i have a feeling that the underground & bullshido are much bigger than here.
    a lot of us still come here because we made friends here over a decade ago.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    This place, no offense to Gene, is NOT in any way a huge board. What are there maybe 20 something posters here?

The underground is HUGE. And there are tons of other forums, thousands maybe
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Still, if you are still here talking TCMA then it isn't dead. If it were truly dead, then you could stop worrying about it. Right? Somehow, I don't think that the fellowship is a big deal.

Its the broad generalizations that bother me, where are these "statistics" originating from? The location we practice at is private, no data here. "this just in" God's Eye report 8/11 says TMA is dead details at 6-10 & eleven? LOL!

I personally can only speak for my group and vouch for the reputation of my teacher, classmates, students & close associate.s so i dont see how any person can speak with authority on the practice of others and not look like a fool.

Maybe it seems like TCMA is dead because it's not on TV! Kung Fu the legend continues got cancelled but MMA went prime time

I understand now.

TCMA is so clannish And secretive by nature that no one group wants to support the events promoted by others schools much less share or expose their arts in public, well except neophyte self promoters showcasing their half formed skill sets and writing books to generate passive income on subjects they know nothing about.

These are guys giving TCMA a poor reputation in the first place.

Anyway
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

You guys don't think that chatting in a forum is martial arts do you? lol

seriously? who has a bigger forum is not any measure of anything other than that.

I find it bemusing that there seems to be this idea that running over to KFM for a circle jerk from other circle jerks has happened a few times though.

seriously, if people want to chew the fat about what they want to chew the fat about, then there is indeed a venue for that.

I think the mma vs tma crowd tends to be retarded in their thinking and also don't seem to have enough memory to access one of the numerous (read thousands) of threads that spin round and round with that question.

Kung fu's martial aspects are perfectly worth developing.

meh.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I know a heckuva lot of Martial Artists.
    Very few of them go on online forums.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I know a heckuva lot of Martial Artists.
    Very few of them go on online forums.
    I know a few too. Quite frankly, they aren't the quickest lot when it comes to using technology. lol

My mom has more net skills than most martial artists I know.

But still, to each their own.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I always wonder what CTS would have been like with internet access
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I always wonder what CTS would have been like with internet access
    Maybe you might have had some hanging monitors to punch at?

Or, maybe you'd all be blog writers with mega web skills.

one end or the other.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kung fu is not dead. as long as its in here.

*finger glow like ET

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I don’t really pay too much attention to other kung fu schools in our area and we don’t advertise, we are not in the phone book, hell we don’t even have a sign on the front window. You would have to walk inside the building before you would even see the club name.
    We have NO problem throwing people in the water (sparring ) in the 2nd week but you also have to keep in mind not everyone who walks in to learn wants to fight, although we do expect then to know and be able to apply things. Forms come to the rate of maybe one a year with most of the emphasis on a good old school workout, then bag work and applying / moving around free style with a partner, after all we are a MARTIAL art club.

We don’t keep to many people who do come through the doors, which honestly doesn’t bother me at all. I have noticed over the years that most people don’t really want to work out all that hard anyway and it is very easy to separate the men from the boys, hence the small classes we have.
    Whether it’s MMA or TCMA do people really want to put the work in that it takes to be great… or even good at what they do? Forget about ever being a professional fighter! That’s just a small handful who will EVER reach that level.
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

TMA isn't dead - it's just mostly dead... there's a difference.

Tell me then, what's so important that you live?

Truuuuve luuuuuvvvvvvv

He clearly said "to bluff", your friend is a gambler.

LIAR- LIARRRRR!!!

Shut up Witch!

I'm not a witch - I'm your wife!

He said True Love

-----

That's why TCMA will never die - True love.