Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are TMAs mostly dead?

I'm ok learning forms but I think you can teach application along side that is directly related to the set. Personally I would ratherearn app, then the form section its for. You understand the form better that way. Imo
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    I'm ok learning forms but I think you can teach application along side that is directly related to the set.
    that is exactly what i teach. section by section and how to use it. drill it, then practice with another partner before sparring and trying to apply what the just learned.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    why is this the only thing people talk about? there like fifty threads just talking about the same thing..
    Probably because in the space and time we are in, it's the question and the conundrum that is faced in regards to understanding what works martially and how to bring that to the fore in the traditional martial arts which have been somewhat corroded over the years by shifting too much to mysticism and cultural immersion and less so about the matter at hand of making a person stronger and strong enough to not be an easy target and to not present themselves as one in their every day life as well.

When a person makes the connection that they are physically capable, they are then empowered and all sorts of doors open to them and their forward progress in life.

In anything. Kung fu is a way of teaching a person to learn how to connect their mind and body in a very refined way. It hasn't put forward a large effort to showcase it's full spectrum of fighting skills in the current fighting arena precisely because of all the other aspects of kung fu and the many schools being fragmented, not in federations and not practicing the sport combat aspects of kung fu which are literally there to actually test your abilities and at the same time to teach you or empower your connection to mind and body as a unit.

/¢2
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    that is exactly what i teach. section by section and how to use it. drill it, then practice with another partner before sparring and trying to apply what the just learned.
    I don't think forms are useless, because I think they not might be too bad for solo work.

I came to this conclusion because I took apart my forms, and started drilling applications separately, then got bored doing the same movement 20+ times in a row, and started making up combinations, and then I was back to forms ... LOL
    Last edited by andyhaas; 08-27-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyhaas View Post
    I don't think forms are useless, because I think they might be too bad for solo work.

I came to this conclusion because I took apart my forms, and started drilling applications separately, then got bored doing the same movement 20+ times in a row, and started making up combinations, and then I was back to forms ... LOL
    All the stuff you took out, take it to the heavy bag and work it.
    Change it to get proper force and distance, then drill it while correcting your structure according to the distance and timing required to successfully execute the shape(combo).

Look to shorten time and distance whilst increasing force and ability to repeat with rapidity.

Anything that doesn't work after several attempts, put it on the back burner and use something else.

In forms. consider the foot work into it as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    I don't think forms are useless, because I think they might be too bad for solo work.

Full Circle
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    What? I took a mostly forms based MA for 5+ years ... I never said I never learned any forms. I just don't want to study any more forms from anybody else, ever, I think.
    So that means TMAs are mostly dead? lol...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Blog Entries
    I don't think forms are useless, because I think they not might be too bad for solo work.

When you are home by yourself, forms will be your only friend besides your other training equipments. The question is what kind of forms do you train. Most forms are designed for teaching and learning only. They are not designed for training. You will need "special" form for your personal training. Where is that "special" form? That "special" form doesn't exist on this planet. You have to create it yourself. If you have 100 different drills, you can link it anyway that you want on any given day. make sure the connection make combat sense (move 1 sets up move 2, move 2 sets up move 3, ...). It's a challenge task and not an easy job.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.

I was thinking about the current MMA popularity and wondering why there aren't more people enrolled in martial arts schools and traditional martial arts, when I came across this article.

http://martialartsbusinessdaily.com/...me-mainstream/

What lept out at me was it listed the "self defense" market as being different than the martial arts market.

I thought about it and how many martial arts schools really teach self defense? Karate, TKD, 'kung fu', etc., how many really teach realistic self defense from attacks?

I am thinking that many TMAs have become so watered down now and so far from self defense as to be 'dead'. Meaning that somebody won't gain substantial self defense skill from studying the TMA.

How many people spend years learning forms and wanting to learn self defense, and then basically give up and make excuses? It's no wonder MMA is popular when it focuses on short-term fighting skills rather than lengthy forms without applications.
    yes. MMA do not have weapon. so MMA is not a complete "style".

if CMA schools focusing on weapons, staff, spear, sword, etc

staff for self defense.

not just open hand stuff.

--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    MMA do not have weapon. --
    A MMA guy challenged a TCMA guy. The TCMA guy accepted. During the duel day, the MMA guy brought his 4 oz MMA gloves, the TCMA guy brought his 80 lb Guan Dao.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    A MMA guy challenged a TCMA guy. The TCMA guy accepted. During the duel day, the MMA guy brought his 4 oz MMA gloves, the TCMA guy brought his 80 lb Guan Dao.
    Yeah, MMA doesn't have any weapons. Not that most people carry around an 80 lb guan dao in their back pocket.

Well, if someday I get enough money to set up a school and design a curriculum, maybe I'll design baguazhang taught in the style of Aikido taught without any forms until later, if people want to learn some forms for practicing at home.

TMA or classical martial arts isn’t dead at all, but flourishing underground the way it should be. Indeed, MMA is the rage as the ninja crazy was twenty years ago. We are witnessing another trend.

However, if TMA is being perceived in a commercial sense then it has been dead for the past 30 years, but as a viable art form it will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    TMA or classical martial arts isn’t dead at all, but flourishing underground the way it should be. Indeed, MMA is the rage as the ninja crazy was twenty years ago. We are witnessing another trend.

However, if TMA is being perceived in a commercial sense then it has been dead for the past 30 years, but as a viable art form it will never die.
    i actually dont see mma as a trend, not in the least...all those other crazes weren't generating the kind of $$ mma is..i think mma as a sport will supersede boxing eventually...not in the foreseeable future, but soon. and i think its going to be around for a very long time...and this is coming from someone who has practiced TMA his whole life and continue to do so...its just facts are facts money talks everything else takes a hike. and mma is gonna be a billion dollar business if it already isnt.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 08-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Doug, as sport yes, but on a commercial/ recreational sense not really; how many commercial/recreational boxing gym are out there? The only chain I’m aware is LABoxing.

We should take into account most individuals doing MMA are doing it recreationally not as a sport; hence, a trend in a commercial sense.