Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Placebo...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    you are absolutely correct;
    Smartest chicken in the coop!

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Thanks for the advice Scott, I have tried that before but will go back to it and try it again. I generally agree with what you say that it is fatigue. But I don't get why I am fatiguing and why I can't push through it. I am healthy, eat healthy, can do any other kind of training, more or less, equally. Sure can't running though. Maybe I just suck at it, but I'll keep working at it.
    You can't push through it because you start to develop acidocis and the muscles don't function well in an acidic environment.

Consistent and well-designed training develops the ability to buffer the acid, resulting in less fatigue.

BTW, running is a great practical example of how you can't use "qi" to overcome the physiological processes of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    It is just human physiology. You only have so much energy. It is not about your ability to push through, it is about the limits of your body. To be sure you will improve over time, but the only way any runner can keep the same times for every mile on any run, even pros, is to pace themselves. No one can go 100%, 100% of the time.
    The human body has three basic energy systems- the phosphocreatine, the glycolytic, and the oxidative. Anything over 45-60 seconds of activity generally relies on the oxidative system.

The primary limiting factor in activities using the oxidative system is acidocis, not energy.

Faxiapreta,

Thanks for the note, and your answer. I was researching some of the terms that you noted. Very interesting.

Not to turn this into a running thread, but do you have any links that could help me out? Any kind of programs that work to buffer the acid?

Although my routine is consistent, I don't think that it is very well designed.

Thanks in advance,

Tao

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Faxiapreta,

Thanks for the note, and your answer. I was researching some of the terms that you noted. Very interesting.

Not to turn this into a running thread, but do you have any links that could help me out? Any kind of programs that work to buffer the acid?

Although my routine is consistent, I don't think that it is very well designed.

Thanks in advance,

Tao
    The body buffers the acid on its own, you don't have to do anything but challenge it and you body willl adapt over time. By pushing yourself your body becomes more efficient, but there will always be limits.

You are already pushing yourself by your description, however most people push harder at the end of the run while you are pushing yourself at the beginning.

How you design a running program depends upon what your goals are. This applies to any training program, including martial arts training, weight lifting, strectching, plyometrics, etc. First decide what your goal or purpose is, then design your training program around your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    The human body has three basic energy systems- the phosphocreatine, the glycolytic, and the oxidative. Anything over 45-60 seconds of activity generally relies on the oxidative system.

The primary limiting factor in activities using the oxidative system is acidocis, not energy.
    First of all, the oxidative system, IS an energy system. Secondly, show off somewhere else. Your explanation is too detailed for a general fitness discussion and un-necessary knowledge for most people. Knowing how the mitochondria converts food into energy is mostly useless information when all someone wants to do is run faster, or longer.

Yes stop showing off your book learning.

We caint have that roun heaw.

Scott,

Good to hear from you here again. Tomorrow, after a warm up, I am going to try what you said and try to pace myself a little slower the first 2 miles, then gradually speed up and see what it does. For me that last mile is SO hard to give my all to. Well the last lap isn't but the rest, arggggh. It isn't always like that, but for some reason that my brain just does a meltdown. I haven't been training long distance running long enough though. I did long ago; it's just hard to get back into it full on for an extended period of time.

My friend told me the best thing for me to do would be to get off the track and start running cross country up hills and that, to really break up the routine, and even to develop a new routine on a different surface, then do it on many different surfaces, then go back to the track. I might try that out.

Anyways, cheers.

Tao

don't be a wuss.

do some qi gong and get a massage that will make you cry.

Take some electrolytes for your sodium potassium pumps and get back out there.

If I get a massage, probably will just go to sleep, unless I was in China. I could use some electrolytes though.

I like doing Chi Gung and walking backwards at the track, is good for me back.

get a real massage...Chinese style.

Or just hire a poor American fatso to walk on you for 10 bucks and a breakfast burrito.

Hi TAO YIN,

You are starting to include some very important information.

1) how long was your lay off?

2) how many days are you running?

3) how far are you running?

4) how old are you?

5) are you monitoring your heart rate?

6) what are your training goals?

All these things will influence how you do in your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    First of all, the oxidative system, IS an energy system. .
    The limitation of the oxidative system is not energy. You don't slow down because you run out of energy. You slow down because you build up lactic acid in the blood stream and in the local environment of the muscles.

Knowing how the mitochondria converts food into energy is mostly useless information when all someone wants to do is run faster, or longer.

Training the specific energy systems (which has nothing to do with knowing how the mitochondria converts food into energy) is absolutely vital to understanding which training protocol to use.

Here is what most middle and longer distance runners use.

1- A slow pace base building phase, gradually increasing the distance over the weeks until you are running slightly longer than your goal distance.

2- A tempo phase, in which you shorten the distance back down to your goal distance and gradually start picking up the pace for that entire distance, attempting to keep the pace the same throughout.

3- An interval training phase in which a series of faster paced intervals are combined with slower paces recovery intervals of about a 1:1 time ratio of rest to recovery.

4- Using a rest recovery protocol of hard/easy or long/short any time you run two or more days in a row.

5- During the first two phases, keeping the pace consistent throughout the run, and slowing the pace down in any parts of the run that are significantly faster than the others.

Use this basic training protocol and you will find your running improves significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    The limitation of the oxidative system is not energy. You don't slow down because you run out of energy. You slow down because you build up lactic acid in the blood stream and in the local environment of the muscles.

Training the specific energy systems (which has nothing to do with knowing how the mitochondria converts food into energy) is absolutely vital to understanding which training protocol to use.
    No you don't, you slow down because of your body's inability to clear the lactic acid from your system. Which your body will improve over time with a proper training program. It is irrelevant to tell most people too much detail because they don't care, don't need to know it, and many won't understand!

It is not important to know the physiological processes that occur. You do not need to know how a car functions to drive one well.

All it takes is proper training protocols for your goals.