Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Gene

Question for Gene

Gene,

Looking to buy a Jian and Dao in the near future. Any recommendations from MAM over others?

Looking for good, solid, traditional(please, no wushu floppy blades), practice weapons. Something that won't break if it happens to get knocked over. I'm a knife guy and I use high carbon steel over stainless most times, so upkeep isn't a problem if they happen to be carbon.

Preferably something heavy, well balanced, and usable for years to come. I'd like to only have to make an investment on each weapon once if possible.

Thanks for your help Gene!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Answers for JamesC

For Dao:
    The Hanwei High-Carbon Steel Kung Fu Broadsword is quite nice. It's my fav dao blade as it's a flattened-diamond cross-section, where as most dao blades are just flat steel. My only issue with it is that it's a tad short for me personally. The Dragon Well Combat Steel Broadsword is also very sturdy, although it's a top heavy as the pommel is hollow. That can be easily adjusted by adding some washers into the handle - child's play for a knife guy as these swords are all held together with a simple pommel nut.

For Jian:
    Again, Hanwei's Damascus Tai Chi Sword is sweet, but our most high-end jian. The Emperor's Sword has a nice blade, but the fittings are a tad overdone for my tastes. A lot of people like Hanwei's High-Carbon Steel Practical Tai Chi Sword and Hanwei's Adam Hsu Jian, and they are both very nice, but personally they are a little too light for me (note that I do tend to be heavy-handed - it's an artifact of my first kung fu master, who always preferred heavier blades for the training benefits). The Dragon Well Combat Steel jian would be our standard traditional weight jian. The Shaolin forge swords are on the heavy side. The Demon Shangfang Bao Jian Sword is a bargain - it's not the top of my list, but a decent blade. We got a shipment of these in by mistake and are clearing them out.

Hope that helps.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You're the man!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I have a question for Gene;

When is the last time you had a really good plate of nachos man?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Sunday

...and I'm contemplating having some more for lunch.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by: Lucas
    I have a question for Gene;
    When is the last time you have Great Sex on top of a plate of hot steamy cheezy gooey Nacho's and can i join you?
    FiXED! LOL What I want to know is DOES IT HURT?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

You like it when it hurts, doncha hskwarrior?

Beg for it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

OK THAT is kinda..not kinda...IS GAY!!!! LOL

LMFAO!!!!!

YES I LOVE IT WHEN IT HURTS!!!!!!!!

You were the one who asked to join in...

I'm just trying to sling some swords here... to keep our lights on.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    hahaha my bad my bad hahaha.

Don't be discouraged, JamesC

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    hahaha my bad my bad hahaha.
    Yes, you are bad. Very bad. Very very bad. You need a good spanking. Who can spank Frank?

Back OT, JamesC, I'm sad to report that the market for traditional swords is dying. Many of the sword forges in China are no longer producing traditional swords, just modern wushu pieces. I can tell you that our sales of traditional swords has been steadily declining over the past few years. It's really a shame and it's the fault of traditionalists not supporting the market. If this course doesn't change, soon there won't be a market for reasonably-priced traditional swords. There will always be craftsmen producing high-end swords, but working-class traditional swords (for lack of a better term) are getting harder to find, mostly because there aren't as many buyers today.

I made a related post on our Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship III & Shark City Nationals thread this morning.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...and I'm contemplating having some more for lunch.
    How was lunch?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yes, you are bad. Very bad. Very very bad. You need a good spanking. Who can spank Frank?

Back OT, JamesC, I'm sad to report that the market for traditional swords is dying. Many of the sword forges in China are no longer producing traditional swords, just modern wushu pieces. I can tell you that our sales of traditional swords has been steadily declining over the past few years. It's really a shame and it's the fault of traditionalists not supporting the market. If this course doesn't change, soon there won't be a market for reasonably-priced traditional swords. There will always be craftsmen producing high-end swords, but working-class traditional swords (for lack of a better term) are getting harder to find, mostly because there aren't as many buyers today.

I made a related post on our Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship III & Shark City Nationals thread this morning.
    blame all the people that spoil early traditionalists minds with modern this modern that, and also all the anti-tma guys that are badmouthing traditional practices up to their dying breath. we are not a dying breed, but we are beeing weeded out something fierce in the face of unshakable contempt. the only positive result? more swords for me!!!!

Frank, you throw weird ass parties mang. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Signs of the times...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    How was lunch?
    I went with pizza. I'll save the nachos for some other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    blame all the people that spoil early traditionalists minds with modern this modern that, and also all the anti-tma guys that are badmouthing traditional practices up to their dying breath. we are not a dying breed, but we are beeing weeded out something fierce in the face of unshakable contempt. the only positive result? more swords for me!!!!
    I don't think modern wushu or MMA are the spoiling factors. I think it's really just traditionalists not putting their money where their mouth is. The problem is it won't be more swords for you because overall, there are less traditional swords available. A few years ago, there was some progress in traditional swords. The fittings were getting better and good blades could be found easily. Now, the trend is backsliding. There's still some nice fittings, but the blades are taking a serious downturn in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Frank, you throw weird ass parties mang. lol
    It's S.F. I used to live there too. Too much sea air and sourdough affects the mind in perverse ways.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips