Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "No Can Defend!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I believe that this kick or a variation of it exists in Shotokan Karate....
    Its right in one of the katas i think

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Its right in one of the katas i think
    I just found it in the Kanku Dai Kata. It probably exists in other katas, as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkv8K...eature=related

Almost any technique has the chance to work when it is unexpected and unprepared for.

Look how many high kicks have resulted in a KO because the person was expected a low kick and moved their hands down for it. Machida has used tons of "tricky" kicks and set ups in his career and all are supported by proper set up and footwork. He just doesn't go out there and throw the technique right off the bat, he sets it up.

Same idea behind the superman punch. You don't see it in boxing because the boxer isn't fearing a leg kick that has already caused damage. You set up the punch by getting them to drop their hands first. Everything has a time and place, too bad most just think that techniques are magical and work in isolation of everything else.

Once a technique is used with success in MMA then you start seeing everyone adding it to their game. I remember watching early MMA events and you had these guys throwing weak ass hook type punches and I kept thinking, "why aren't they just using a hammerfist?". Then Sakuraba comes along and starts using hammers etc. and then suddenly all of them started using hammers in those situations on the G&P.

As to the front kick, I remember watching and old K-1 fight (I think it was Sonny Schmildt or something like that) and he kicked the guy 3-4 times with a front snap kick to the chin. Knocked out a couple of teeth before it KO'd the guy.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    lmao.

I hope IE knows that picture is going to be used constantly now, lol
    The things I go through for the sake of humor!!

As for Machida's kick, good stuff. But I find it funny that everytime a technique considered unorthodox to MMA gets used and works this and that start taking credit. Give credit to the guy that pulled it off, that is the only one who deserves credit!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    The things I go through for the sake of humor!!

As for Machida's kick, good stuff. But I find it funny that everytime a technique considered unorthodox to MMA gets used and works this and that start taking credit. Give credit to the guy that pulled it off, that is the only one who deserves credit!
    You mean Steven Seagal isn't the reason the Brazilians are doing so well? Inconcievable!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    You mean Steven Seagal isn't the reason the Brazilians are doing so well? Inconcievable!
    I have it on good authority that the last thing Osama Bin Laden saw before taking one to the side of his can was this:

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Almost any technique has the chance to work when it is unexpected and unprepared for.

Look how many high kicks have resulted in a KO because the person was expected a low kick and moved their hands down for it. Machida has used tons of "tricky" kicks and set ups in his career and all are supported by proper set up and footwork. He just doesn't go out there and throw the technique right off the bat, he sets it up.

Same idea behind the superman punch. You don't see it in boxing because the boxer isn't fearing a leg kick that has already caused damage. You set up the punch by getting them to drop their hands first. Everything has a time and place, too bad most just think that techniques are magical and work in isolation of everything else.
    QFT + 1......

As silly as it may seem, this held true even in the old point style game of tag: use hands to set up kicks and vice versa--get the guy to drop or raise his hands in anticipation of something, esp if he's a block-and-counter type of fighter, and then pop him w something else; this worked esp well when u were able to do front-leg sweeps, which direct attention down low to set up something up top; seeing someone use this in an MMA environment is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rAWIqRbda4

seagal is coaching Machida's front kicks at about a minute in. I don't know why people are mocking the guy. He's obviously given Machida and Silva some ideas to play with. By their own admission.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    just so long as he doesn't start coaching Joe Bonamasa on how to play the blues....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by metsubushi View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rAWIqRbda4

seagal is coaching Machida's front kicks at about a minute in. I don't know why people are mocking the guy. He's obviously given Machida and Silva some ideas to play with. By their own admission.
    Good point. The same people who break everyone's balls about the "benefits" of cross training, turn around and mock it when a MMA-ists is training with a TMA instructor.

This is very ironic in Machida's case, because the man himself comes from a traditional Shotokan Karate background.

this hurts my head....

UFC 129 Results: Is Steven Seagal the Next Great Mixed Martial Arts Trainer?
    By Adam Wells
    (Featured Columnist) on May 2, 2011

How Many Fighters Are Going To Enlist The Help Of Steven Seagal Following UFC 129?

Steven Seagal is probably more famous now for what he has done with mixed martial arts fighters than he ever was for being a movie and television star.

The whole Seagal fad started at UFC 126 when Anderson Silva knocked out Vitor Belfort with a front kick to the face. When asked where he learned the kick from, he told the world that Seagal was the man behind the kick heard round the world.

This past Saturday night at UFC 129, Lyoto Machida took the Silva kick and added some flare to it by turning it into the Crane Kick that Ralph Macchio used in The Karate Kid when he knocked out Randy Couture early in the second round of their fight. Once again, Seagal's name was brought up when Machida was asked where he learned the kick.

In every sport you will find copycats. Teams or individual athletes will get wind of some new formation or style or technique that has been working for someone for a long time. As soon as everyone else finds out about it, they have to get in on it.

Seagal has now taught two of the best fighters in the world a move that has led to two very stylish knockouts and they have happened two months apart.

There are going to be phone calls, e-mails, texts, tweets, skypes, instant message, chats, basically any form of communication that a fighter can use to get in touch with Seagal will be used in the coming weeks. Everyone is going to want a lesson with him hoping to learn something that can get them a knockout victory.

Whether you like it or not, Steven Seagal is going to be sitting cage side for a lot of these fighters in the future thanks to Silva and Machida putting down two men with the same kick. The good news is we won't have to sit through another Under Siege movie as a result.
    I was going to post this on our Seagal is at it again thread but I must give credit where credit is due...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Good point. The same people who break everyone's balls about the "benefits" of cross training, turn around and mock it when a MMA-ists is training with a TMA instructor.

This is very ironic in Machida's case, because the man himself comes from a traditional Shotokan Karate background.
    Aikido is traditional?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    I have it on good authority that the last thing Osama Bin Laden saw before taking one to the side of his can was this:
    I thought it was a Moe Greene Special?

Considering this is a basic kick learned in both Karate and Taekwondo, two styles to which Machida and Silva have studied extensively, I find it hard to believe they were never introduced to this technique until the great Steven Seagal came around.

That being said, if the context and application of the kick was somehow different than what they were previously taught and Seagal taught them a better delivery system, good on him and both Machida and Silva. But is it that or simply a PR stunt for all involved? Who knows, and in all honesty, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Aikido is traditional?
    I believe so. Also, Seagal has experience in other arts, including Wing Chun. From what I saw on the video, he was teaching a mixture of traditional approaches.