Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how would you fight this guy?

Blog Entries
    it can brother. the WC as you know it can evolve as you see fit. it's in YOUR hands now.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

The guy "looks off balance" cant really say as this is just a demo but as a VT man i apperciate the round actions because thats what im suited best to deal with. Also the front bow footwork is a gem for a VT man.

I could take those punches so.... Cover and stomp a knee, then go for a beer.

P.S I think Paul has posted the most sensible thing here.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    The guy "looks off balance" cant really say as this is just a demo but as a VT man i apperciate the round actions because thats what im suited best to deal with. Also the front bow footwork is a gem for a VT man.

I could take those punches so.... Cover and stomp a knee, then go for a beer.

P.S I think Paul has posted the most sensible thing here.
    You must be a really big guy if you can just take all those shots.

If you're a big guy (super heavyweight), 250 lbs+

Then it doesn't matter what martial art style you do.

You will probably smash most people.
    Last edited by Violent Designs; 03-17-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

How would I fight this guy?

Using the skills I've trained. Thats about as much answer as you can give without seeing the guy in a real fight. Demonstrations can reveal a bit about balance, speed and power, but they don't reveal anything substantial.

I'd assume he doesn't have great ground work so I'd probably try to work in a takedown and force ground game if I found an opening.

But aside from that, square up, test him a bit and see if I can find where some openings and weaknesses, then go from there.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 03-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Like any other guy.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Well nothings certain is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    You must be a really big guy if you can just take all those shots.

If you're a big guy (super heavyweight), 250 lbs+

Then it doesn't matter what martial art style you do.

You will probably smash most people.
    The question was how i would fight him, not be beaten by him.

Im not at all bigger than average, you put more trust in those types of shots being heavier than i do and thinking every one of them will land. But in any event taking shots whilst being covered and closing the gap to get close is the best way to deal with those shots IMO and being close is my game

But i tell you this, ive taken heavier shots and been still in the game including having my nose broken and rugby has toughened my body so im not frail lol. Id expect anyone to be able to weather the storm get close enough land a knee stomp and follow up attacks thats an advanced fighter...

How would you fight Him, from outside range ?
    Last edited by Liddel; 03-18-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

I got nothing for you, sorry.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    See, i think WC and CLF should get together and humbly discuss the styles differences on a peaceful level.
    With all respect I think that this has already been done by some ancestors of WCK and CLF although it is always good to exchange imho. In the UK there is very little CLF that is public, but the small groups I have met all seem like genuine nice guys, incl Dave Hawkins

http://www.choyleefut.co.uk/index.htm

Not sure exactly 'why' you would want to discuss differences though, as it will always end up in a fight of some sort! I love meeting martial artists and I personally have no hang-ups about other stylists or families, no matter how shaded our histories seem to be! So if you're ever in London look me up.

Great to see Hendrik and Robert posting again too. Been a while
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

not sure why this particular individual is the subject of a thread, it seems a little harsh. Seems some people are really hung up on past differences.
    I would normally not respond to a post like this but some of the responses by WC folks have intruiged me, worrying about momentum and talking about attacking arms etc. With no disrespect to the individual in question or the syle being demonstrated, i'd be far more worried about a good tight boxer or muay thai fighter with similar experience, as they'd be less likely to be kind enough to turn their back or leave their centre line totally exposed. For those worried about momentum I'd say don't chase the arms, use footwork to close the range and attack the jic seen (in the same way as you fight an opponent with a baseball bat) and you stop the momentum dead.

Blog Entries
    With all respect I think that this has already been done by some ancestors of WCK and CLF although it is always good to exchange imho. In the UK there is very little CLF that is public, but the small groups I have met all seem like genuine nice guys, incl Dave Hawkins
    oh i agree. but is it more widespread than the one you've mentioned? i mean are CLF all over the world and WC hooking up? hmmm i wonder.

Not sure exactly 'why' you would want to discuss differences though, as it will always end up in a fight of some sort! I love meeting martial artists and I personally have no hang-ups about other stylists or families, no matter how shaded our histories seem to be! So if you're ever in London look me up.
    Sometimes fighting earns respect from others. WC and CLF going back to Leung Jan and my founder (Jeung Hung Sing's) day. Who knows, one day maybe the whole gung fu community can show love and support each other?
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-18-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

Sometimes fighting earns respect from others. WC and CLF going back to Leung Jan and my founder (Jeung Hung Sing's) day. Who knows, one day maybe the whole gung fu community can show love and support each other?

Cho family keep that friendly connection of CLF and WCK since Leung Jan's time.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    For those worried about momentum I'd say don't chase the arms, use footwork to close the range and attack the jic seen (in the same way as you fight an opponent with a baseball bat) and you stop the momentum dead.

You have good points,

Here are mine.

1, you are right if you have as much as 20 channels turn on in your body similar to the good CLF fighter. otherwise, their Body cover much wider range then you footwork.

2, it is like those who think they can step in to jam and dissarm the people with samurai sword when they draw the sword, in real life most end up get cut because sword is drawn with a step back ward not a step forward. So you rush right into the sword. it is a kiss of death. Those who use Cup, Pow,.... swing as the CLF knows their game very well, otherwise, the Qing has already get them and they will not exist until today.

since I am not a CLF guy but a WCner, so ok for me to tell you these, Oftern I like use Pow Cup...., my strike always deliver at a step back/side away not a step forward, so my fellow WCner partner always miss a step where they are the one who step into my cup because they think they can get my center line, and the cup swing down to totally destroy their chain punch structure /momentum disregard of how fast they are. because they always missed half a step and due to their short chain punch distance compare with my cup Chui. I get them and their punch doesnt reach me. and if they retread, use Chad Chui and forward step to hit them because they cant get out the range fast enough.

just for fun, so dont take me serious.

Frank, what do you think? hahaha
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-18-2011 at 09:32 AM.

raise my forearm to protect my head from the hay makers then counter off if

like this

http://www.fightreport.net/wp-conten...rlie-silva.gif

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    The guy "looks off balance" cant really say as this is just a demo but as a VT man i apperciate the round actions because thats what im suited best to deal with.
    Be careful, some of those CLF round strikes would collapse or destroy a lot of WC structures.

Just to interject something here;

In my opinion one of the strengths of WC is that it trains one to be flexible and adaptable. One may start a certain way, but is able to change based on what the opponent does or gives you. This is what I feel is the value of Chi Sau training, learning the ability to change as needed depending on what one encounters.

Of course, if one simply gos through the basics exercises without learning to open the mind to new things one will be a robot and simply mimic what others do. The art will not be a part of you and you will be quite predictable.

I believe that every art, at the higher levels, exhibit this adapatability. This is one reason why high level people seem to all look similar in application whether they be karate or Tai Chi.

CLF is an excellent system no doubt, as is WC, imo. However, the skill of the practicianer and their understanding is what sets them apart from those who just mimic the movements.

My approach to fighting is to try and keep my mind and options open and allow my opponent to tell me how best to beat them and I would hope to be able to vary my techniques depending on what they gave me to work with. Of course, this is much easier said than done. I also believe that one will get hit in a fight so one must be prepared both mentally and physically to accept some punishment.

So in fighting someone like this I would expect to be hit a few times but would try to prepare myself mentally for that and would try to instill the mindset of going forward no matter what until I could get in close and do my own damage.

I agree with the idea of attacking thee weapon, hurting the opponents arms or legs, but I am not so sure that attacking the limbs and then going to the center would be "pure" WC as most WC would seem to evade or avoid the attack and then attack the body/centerline.

Consider this as food for thought:

There are only three ways to deal with any attack:
    • Avoid the attack
    • Evade the attack
    • Intercept the attack

Does anyone havr another way to deal with an attack? If so I would be interested in discussing.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space