Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Tiger Woods!

and Phil Mickelson, Lee Westwood and Martin Kayme!

* November 2, 2010, 6:40 PM HKT
    Sponsorship Dollars Draw Golf to Asia

Americans Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood of Britain, and Martin Kaymer of Germany, perform the Chinese martial art of tai chi together with a tai-chi master on a stage in Shanghai, China, Tuesday. The players are in town for the HSBC Champions tournament.

Tiger Woods of the USA (L) and Lee Westwood of England (R) receive a tai chi lesson with swords during a press event ahead of the 2010 WGC-HSBC Champions in Shanghai, China.

By Duncan Mavin and Jason Chow

The chatter ahead of the HSBC Champions golf tournament, which tees off in Shanghai Thursday, is whether Lee Westwood, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson or Martin Kaymer will emerge as the world’s No.1 ranked golfer.

One thing is certain — the winner’s share of $7 million in total prize money at the Shanghai tournament is just a splash in a growing pool of corporate sponsorship money in Asia.

According to a report from accountants KPMG, Asian golf tournaments awarded approximately $69 million in 2009–20% of golf’s total global prize pool of $343 million and more than the $56 million in total spoils at European golf events.

“The distribution of prize money provides a clear indication of sponsor’s appetitie to promote themselves in different geographies,” said the KPMG report.

In fact, sports, arts and other events in Asia are benefiting as companies spend more of their sponsorship dollars in the region. This year, corporate sponsorship in Asia is forecast to total $2.5 billion, an increase of 67% from last year, according to Ben Flint, Asia-Pacific chief for Fuse, a sports-and-entertainment marketing agency that is a division of the advertising company Omnicom Group.
    Total corporate-sponsorship spending in Asia in 2010 is likely to be close to the record $2.8 billion in 2008, when it was boosted by the Beijing Olympics, Mr. Flint said. “We’re definitely getting back up to Olympic levels.”

His numbers show that 65% of this year’s spending in Asia will be dedicated to sports sponsorships; the rest will be divided among categories that include arts, culture and community events.
    HSBC would not confirm how much it paid to sponsor the Shanghai golf tournament, though title sponsors typically cover the prize money. The bank said its sponsorship of the Chinese event ties in with its focus on growing in Asia.

“We’re sponsoring where the bank is targeting itself,” said Giles Morgan, group head of sponsorship at HSBC. “It’s important our geographical focus is communicated.”

Other banks have also put money into sponsoring events in Asia, where the economy has generally stood up better through the economic downturn than in Europe or the U.S. For instance, last November, Deutsche Bank announced plans to sponsor the Hong Kong art fair, ArtHK, for five years. Standard Chartered announced last autumn that it would begin a four-year $128 million tie-up with English Premier League football team Liverpool—a move aimed at targeting the sport’s fans in Asia.
    “Yes, it is an English team but only a handful of clubs…are big brands in Asia,” said Susan Ho, global head of brand and sponsorships for Standard Chartered. “In Asia alone, we count that there are 130 million Liverpool fans.”

Event planners said the rise in sponsorship spending won’t be felt in force until 2011. Michael Chiary, general manager of MCI Hong Kong, a global events-management company, said he expects his business to pick up next year given that big corporate events typically take six to nine months to plan.
    Mr. Chiary predicts that Hong Kong’s largest sporting event—the annual Rugby Sevens tournament—is going to be a decadent affair next year after a relatively subdued 2009 and 2010.

“We expect a big surge in demand by the financial sector, not only for private booths, but also for doing a ‘bash’ for the suites,” he said. “We are definitely seeing stronger demand for events, but we won’t see it until next year.”

HSBC says it is targeting golf and rugby, which appeal to affluent sports fans.

“If we were going for huge ubiquity, we’d do Formula 1 racing or soccer,” said Mr. Morgan. The bank previously sponsored the Jaguar F1 team.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

tigers form is not that bad. but...he needs to get back to whoring around so he can get his #1 spot back..lol

A bit off-topic, but I was watching Audrey Rose (1977), and in one scene, a young-looking Anthony Hopkins uses a judo sacrifice throw (tomoenage, sp?) on the title character's obnoxious father, then proceeds to use a collar choke to end the confrontation.

doug maverick,

You are spot on with regard to Tiger Woods. I thought I was the only one noticing this.

He has to put one in the hole before he can put one in the hole.

mickey

Tiger Tiger Woods, Ya'll

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

guess he's taken up jian because it's the closest thing to learning to defend against golf clubs?

Blog Entries
    Tiger Wood's if he could but he can't so he won't!!!!!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I want to fight tiger woods.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Who moved my KUNG FU related thread to this black hole to die?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Who is Justin Beiber?

I moved it, MK

Mostly to show that my forum fu is faster than yours. I ate your cheese too, that one you were saving in the fridge next to the six of bud light.

This thread will live forever.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu

again....sort of.

There are some satire pix if you follow the link.
    Your Meme of the Week: Tai Chi Keanu
    By Craig Hlavaty, Thu., Nov. 11 2010 @ 3:25PM

​So Keanu Reeves officially knows that he is a walking meme, so now he spends his days baiting us trolls on the Internets by posing himself in ridiculous positions. Your meme of the week is Tai Chi Keanu.

Keanu: Meme-baiting.
    ​In photos taken by paparazzi over Halloween weekend, the actor was seen doing Tai Chi Chuan stances and moves under a tree dressed like a homeless Keanu Reeves. Obviously these moves are easily dropped into Photoshop to create something more hilarous than we could imagine.

We once saw a hippie doing Tai Chi in the park near our house when we were growing up and some older kids went and bought a Coke Icee from the gas station a few blocks away and threw it at his head. Good times.

That's all we know about Tai Chi, really.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Montana Fishburne

Montana Fishburne Talks Plastic Surgery, Covers Black Men Magazine
    Submitted by The Hip-Hop Socialite on November 22, 2010 – 9:52 amOne

Montana Fishburne is continuing in her mission to bring shame to the Fishburne name. The daughter of Hollywood legend Laurence Fishburne is more determined than ever to make it in the adult entertainment industry; so much so, she’s willing to go under the knife to make a few adjustments to her breasts and nether-regions. The 19-year-old told Hustler magazine during a recent interview:

“I don’t want to get real big ones [breasts]. I would just go one size bigger. And I want to get my p—y tightened….I want that kung fu grip.”

Uh, forgive me if I sound a bit crass, but what’s the point if it’s going to end up being loose as a goose anyway? Montana also appears on the cover of the holiday issue of Black Men magazine, and if you ask me, whoever took the time to Photoshop all those pockmarks off her booty deserves a raise.
    words fail me on this one...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Mostly to show that my forum fu is faster than yours. I ate your cheese too, that one you were saving in the fridge next to the six of bud light.

This thread will live forever.
    Gene is evil, pure unadulterated evil !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Chris Colfer

Chris Colfer Shows Off Mad Ninja Skills on 'Conan'
    Written by JJ on Nov-30-10 1:56pm

After a season and a half of Glee we all know that Chris Colfer can sing, but last night on Conan O'Brien's TBS show, Chris revealed he can swing a sai better than a Ninja Turtle.

Chris Colfer shows off his ninja sai weapons on Conan O'Brien's show. (From TBS.com)
    Chris explained to his incredulous host that he studies martial arts in his spare time, and even practices his ninjitsu in his trailer while filming episodes of Glee.

"I have swords that I practice with every day in my trailer, and it makes the cast very nervous," he said. "But they're called sai... I grew up watching 'Ninja Turtles' and always wanted to do them, and bought some on eBay finally and just taught myself how to do it.

Chris proceeded to put on a demonstration of his sai skills, swinging the weapons deftly with both hands simultaneously before doing a little sword fighting with Conan. Watch the video here to see him spin the blades. The pictures below (from TBS.com) show his demo. In the final pic, you can see Chris apologizing to Andy Richter for swinging a sai a little too close for comfort.
    Conan: Chris Colfer Interview 11/29/10
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips