Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
Well the way WE (CSL) look at it all is this. Principles firsts - the terms are related to the art and the person you are talking too. Ie if I am teaching wrestling its an underhook, if I teaching wing chun its tan to tok. These are generic principles of body movement. After that you have concepts, which are ideas of what you may like or could do depending on your skills and understanding, bodytype and so on.

My BJJ teacher shows me BJJ applications which I have often seen in catch before, but its still BJJ as we are still training in that art at that time. Its just words to communicate, dont hold on to them so hard as its not the art.
I actually think this is a pretty good approach. There are many 'similar' movements between WCK, wrestling, ground, etc. However, each of those areas also has completely different fundamentals that need to be learned to take advantage of any similarities.

I like the idea of training what your learning within THAT context directly. Then later on you can translate things to put together the similarities.

Nice post.