Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My student gets robbed!!!!

Who says you have to get into their arena? Wasn't that where your student got dissed? You are creating your OWN arena. Just start small and build. If you are friends with a few Sifu, start with them. I do not think this is a major stretch for you.

Basic suggestion for a small tournament:

Full contact tournament: Intermediate and advanced only. 3 weight divisions, 8 participants per division

Hand Form competition: Intermediate and advanced only. 6 to 8 participants per category

Weapon Form Competition: Same as Hand form competition

In each category, points are assigned to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, so as to determine a Grand Champion (for advanced competitors only). To encourage fighting, the accumulations of first place wins in hand and weapon forms should not match nor exceed a first place in fighting.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-05-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    i will consider that, thanks brother. I do think tournament standards needs an overhaul. this type of tourney is a dinosaur.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

It's tough to do full contact in CA

Sanshou is illegal here. The SF ICMAC ran something they called sport light sanshou, or something along those lines, I'm not sure on the exact phrasing - which was tantamount to point sparring. If I remember the term, I'll post it.

I was there on Friday. Sorry I missed you, hskwarrior. It was such a beautiful weekend in S.F. that I couldn't bring myself to spend it indoors, even if it was the Marriot.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    GENE,

sorry i missed you too. its cool. i think we'll train for san shou then go to where ever we can to fight in it. This is the reason why we mainly stuck to street fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    GENE,

sorry i missed you too. its cool. i think we'll train for san shou then go to where ever we can to fight in it. This is the reason why we mainly stuck to street fighting.
    didn't realize street fighting was a venue

Blog Entries
    oh yeah....the streets are a venue for the ring fighter rejects... :P

It's too bad they did not recognize the technique. Seemed like the other guy was barely clipped, but stumbled around a lot.

Oddly enough, I remember competing in the older Tat Mau Wong tourneys in the '90s, and remember them allowing a lot more contact in the continuous sparring than that. I even remember one of Tat Wong's top students knocked another guy out with either a sow choy or a kup choy, and the guy was OUT for a long time; his legs even started convulsing after several minutes. But they didn't disqualify Tat Wong's student. In fact, they gave him the match. That was only one instance.

But I do remember some selective DQing going on back then.

I think that's on a tape I have I recorded off Satellite years ago. Tomazaki ko'd his opponent but I don't remember if it was a sow choy or what.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Greetings,

Can you simply do something the traditional way, like a closed door tournament? Don't tell me those things don't happen anymore.

mickey

If I were in the audience and saw that, I'd be booing.

Sorry but that kind of crap is pathetic, throwing up the dude who can't stand up like he somehow won.

Truly pathetic.
    I have a signature.

Blog Entries
    nah...we gonna have to go the sanshou or sanda route. if we have to leave CALI to compete, so be it.

but yeah, it was truly pathetic how they handled this tourney.

Liability

I don't know, but like Gene said, I get the feeling its got to do with liability insurance, state boxing regulations and the like.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw they were fighting on the carpet.

...and all the gear....

Doctors, rings, ambulances on stand by, insurance, boxing comission bribes, er, ah licences...

ching ching ching
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

There was a LONG time in CA when you could do sanshou. I remember being at Tat Mau's tournament and they were doing sanshou on one side of the room and the point crap on the other side. Pretty much that happened in ALL the Chinese tournaments in the 90's when I was still going

Today, for bizzarro reasons, you can't do san shou, but you CAN do contact fighting, don't kid yourself, there are hundreds of Muay Thai shows in CA right now.

In NJ, you can certainly do San Shou, or any form of contact fighting, the commission is very reasonable with amateur events, the insurance is not expensive and in fact the amateur MMA shows are making A LOT of MONEY. But I've yet to see the major CMA event in NJ have contact fighting.... instead I very recently saw a post from someone about how "bad" their students were for fighting POINT in that event

Point fighting is a very good example of what is wrong with TMA these days
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    There was a LONG time in CA when you could do sanshou. I remember being at Tat Mau's tournament and they were doing sanshou on one side of the room and the point crap on the other side. Pretty much that happened in ALL the Chinese tournaments in the 90's when I was still going
    I remember that too....they even had Lei Tai matts........what happened?

shoot, i was even trained to be a san shou judge by Tat Mou and Dr Chi Hsiu D. Weng.

you're right, we do actually have local Muay Thai events....

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I remember that too....they even had Lei Tai matts........what happened?

shoot, i was even trained to be a san shou judge by Tat Mou and Dr Chi Hsiu D. Weng.

you're right, we do actually have local Muay Thai events....
    I remember the first year Tat Mau offered Sanshou, a certain school that fashioned themselves "bad arse" we thought of course they will do sanshou... they did the point fighting instead

CA truly is a wacky place, you can do full MMA with elbows and knees to the head and punching the head on the ground, but you can't do amateur san shou! That aside, you could do FULL CONTACT striking at the tournament, but they won't. Know why? because that's the way TCMA rolls these days
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....