Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

I'm hoping to catch this one soon.
    I think almost everything becomes dated after 10 to 20 years. What's 'cool' today will become either ridiculous or be considered 'old-school' in the future. Occasionally, though, some things become better with age (for ex.: '70s classic rock).

One thing that stands out to me from the trailer: the kid doing the 'Hung Gar' -looking movements while Jaden stands there, then jumps up and kicks the kid in the face. I've seen quite a few movies, mostly HK but maybe a couple U.S. ones, where something like that's been shown. It's strange how Hung Gar is chosen so often for that. I think it'd be more appropriate, and probably funnier, to show someone doing some flashy modern changquan wushu moves and have that happen.

Jimbo,

It sounds like you would like to see a remake of Bolo's "Tiger Claws."

mickey

We so should remake Bolo's Tiger Claws!!!

But who could take on the role of Bolo for Tiger Claws? While we're at it, we should remake TC 2000.

Still not sure who won the Challenge... anyone know? The article below is a little ambiguous.
    Larchmont Student's Karate Skills Take Him to Hollywood
    Danny Etkin of Murray Avenue School will walk the red carpet at the Karate Kid premier.
    By Sean Gallagher | June 3, 2010

Larchmont's Danny Etkin turned 10 this week—and it might be a year he won't soon forget.

A black belt in karate, Etkin's training has helped him get to Hollywood, where he will walk the red carpet at the premiere of The Karate Kid, a film that opens in theaters July 11.

Etkin received this opportunity when The Karate Kid Challenge was created to promote the movie, encouraging martial arts youth and their coaches to try and become the next Danielson and Mr. Miyagi. Hundreds of karate kids went to the 10 open auditions held at various Six Flags theme parks across the country. Each audition declared a winner, and Etkin and his coach, Matt Emig, claimed the title for New Jersey—they performed a 90-second extreme form exhibition, filled with synchronized tricks and stunts.

From there, video of Etkin's performance was put on Yahoo!'s Web site along with the other nine winners, where a public vote was held to decide who was worthy of the Karate Kid title. Etkin's routine made the top three, which qualifies him to fly out to the movie's premiere and learn if he is the overall winner.

If he wins the contest, a private screening of the film will be held for him and his friends.

Etkin discovered his talent at the age of 4 and has quickly emerged as a top national competitor in both his age group and higher levels. Last year, at the age of 9, he received 5 NASKA (North American Sports Karate Association) world titles, including one in the 10-11 age level. He currently trains at 100 Percent Performance, a martial arts school in Glastonbury, Connecticut.

"I'm really excited because all the people that I've been watching in movies will be there," Etkin said. "There's a really good chance that I can meet Jackie Chan, who's amazing at karate."

Etkin leaves this morning to fly to Boston, where he will compete in the New England Open. From there, he heads to California to attend the Monday night premiere of the movie.

As a result of his martial arts involvement, Etkin has developed into a fine example off the mats, too.

"You learn tremendous discipline [doing martial arts], and I think his teachers at Murray Avenue School would say that Danny's karate discipline shows up in the classroom," said his mother, Liz Etkin, at their home yesterday as they prepared for their trip.

Even with all the competitive success of her son, Ms. Etkin appreciates the social aspect of the sport.

"He has incredible friendships on the karate circuit," she said. "He became best buddies with his biggest competitor. They duke it out on the mats and then they high five each other and have a great time at the beach afterwards."

Check out a video of Etkin performing a Traditional Forms routine at the Gator Nationals 2010 Nighttime Show, courtesy of ZenInc.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Last edited by SanHeChuan; 06-16-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I check out the film when it was released and I must say I was very happy with the end result. Much deeper than the original, real technique, beautiful scenary, and most of all real kung fu;-)

hooray for the kung fu... I mean the karate kid

Karate Kid Challenge winner

According to our publicity rep for KK "The Chicago team won"
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bolo and Tiger Claws

Yes,

It would be good to see a remake of that. I think Bolo's character was one of the most misunderstood characters in the history of martial arts movies. The character was more of an ill vigilante than a villain. The lack of dialogue for Bolo really did not help flesh out that aspect.

mickey

I liked this movie, it was very funny. But I had a few issues. A) Jackie's performance isn't the oscar-caliber rendention everyone is clammering about. He did ok, but actually he looked like he was forcing it more than Jayden Smith. B) The locker-room speech Daniel gives about not being able to face the kids at school if he doesn't fight is much more compelling than Dre's "I'm scared speech," C) all the f@cking crazy techniques. The thing I liked about Karate Kid was the fights are not outlandish. The Crane kick in this new one is completely groan-worthy.

But Dre's mom cracked me up. I want to make babies with her. And I think the little Chinese bad guy may be even better than the blonde kid from the first movie.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-18-2010 at 06:20 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

For real. That chinese kid has some "crazy eyes."

Saw it tonight, loved it. Ten times better than original.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Just got back from it. Absolutely loved it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries

Relate-able vs. Spectacle

Just saw it today.
    It's a worthy remake.

I've seen the original so many times that I have the lines practically memorized, so my take is totally biased, but what you'd expect from someone who's a HUGE fan of the original.

This rendition can stand alone as its own movie...but to me, NOT better than the first. I'm sure most Kung Fu folks will disagree with me, because, you know! China! The Great Wall! Mandarin speaking! Wudan! Wushu choreography! Moxybustion! and JACKIE CHAN!

I still think Pat Morita did a better job. Mr. Miyagi showed a sense of humor. Actually, so did Daniel. And so did Johnny and the Cobra Kais.

While there were funny moments in the film (particularly by Dre's mom), none of the characters showed much of a sense of humor...and if they did, it was with a straight face. Dre would mess around a little, but he didn't have the 'tude that Daniel did, which was part of his charm.

I think the original film was more relate-able, which is why it was so powerful and connected with the audience in such a visceral level. This film is more of a spectacle.
    The original still has people doing the "crane kick"
    How many people are gonna do the cobra thingy with the flip-roundhouse kick that we never got to see him practice? The cobra thing will probably not go down in history that will be constantly referenced...I could be wrong, but probably not

Oh, and I heard about mothers in the audience crying because of a certain point in the film? Which was it? Jackie sobbing in the car? That part was dumb, I'm sorry. There's no buy-in to that. I thought the way that was handled in the original was way more powerful and organic.

That all being said, it was a good movie, and I had a great time. I'd love to see Jackie in more of these roles as a mentor.
    Last edited by yutyeesam; 06-19-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: I said sequel, when I meant remake
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Excellent movie! As good, if not better, than the original. The scenes of Wudang mountain were worth the price for me.
    My wife and teenage son loved it.

Richard A. Tolson
    Agreed.

I didn't care for the movie personally, but I can see why someone else would. It comes off as a typical "Inspirational" feel good movie that so many of are out there, and it is pretty much an exact carbon copy of the original.

The only thing I liked about the movie was the fact it *was in China. I went with a friend and had to explain to her this particular scene, and that in the film they weren't doing Kung Fu, but rather just flashy Wushu.

Funny enough she wants to go to Taiji Legacy next weekend with me now!
    I have a signature.

Loved some of the training tools and routines, espcially the curtain punching and the two long sticks with rope loops...who knew?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Random Relpies

I liked the “because I'm still afraid”, but I don't really remember to original locker to compare. That would have taken him way longer than five minutes to get back on that stage though.

Pat Morita did do a better job and I liked the wax on training better.

I agree that the crane kick was better and more memorable and imitable than that stupid snake thing.

I did not like to two stick training thing. That would not work, and implies you can learn kung fu without having to learn kung fu.

I can suspended my belief to allow that they would let children fight full contact , But those kids would have been disqualified left and right for not responding to the ref!
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE