Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
Sure it CAN (didn't I say so?).

The issue is whether breaking your opponent's structure is your aim (your objective) or what you hope will be the by-product of your striking. Because when it is your aim, it changes things (how you hit, how you set up your strike, etc.). And, you may come to realize that it is just one tactic among many to accomplish breaking structure -- often, for example, it is much simpler to pull to break structure than to strike to break structure.
Being brought up in a "one hit, one kill" MA - Hung Kuen, then kyokushin- and taking that view into boxing and beyond, I never viewed the "goal" of any strike to be anything other than "to compromise the opponent" ( That was borrowed from my first boxing coach in Portugal), a strike MUST make the opponent "compromise" himself, either by the effect of the hit, or what he must do NOT to get hit.
If you wanna view that as "structural compromise" great.
Now, "one hit,one kills" are rarer than a Virgin after prom night, but the core principle is very valid and, in my view, a bit neglected nowadays.
Hitting in a way that every strike MUST be taken seriously by your opponent, IE: no 10 year old girl slaps.