Some background stuff first:

Shaolin Chan (Zen) teachings, Shaolin qigong, and Shaolin Quan are attributed to being from both Buddhist and Taoist sources in origin.

Many books and articles have been written about the original Indian connection to early Shaolin qigongs. Some of the Indian Monks traveling to Shaolin brought over yogic "qigong" material. Not debating this, as this has been extensively written about by others. You can clearly see yogic postures in Shaolin Muscle Tendon / Marrow Washing exercises, etc, etc, etc., including the knowledge of human 'marma' - 108 highly sensitive, vulnerable and vital parts of the body, 18 phases of training, etc. Note: 18 and 108 being well known Shaolin "numbers". The Shaolin Muscle Tendon / Marrow Washing exercises also are very similar to pre-existing Taoist qigongs. These exercises so far are seen as the oldest Shaolin qigong material.

The "Extensive Records of the Taiping Era" record that, prior to "Bodhidharma's arrival in China", monks practiced wrestling and other Chinese martial arts of the times for recreation. Shaolin monastery records state that two of its very first monks, Hui Guang and Seng Chou, were experts in the martial arts years before the said arrival of Bodhidharma (whose legendary founding of Shaolin arts has been debunked by historians). (Note: Some later era Shaolin Quan are similar to postures seen in the Indian art of Kalaripayattu, which was developed around 11th-13th century AD at the earliest, and which most likely was derived from the same ancient sources as the Indian martial arts that were brought over by Indian bodyguards for the early Indian monks traveling to and from Shaolin).

Now, what I am interested in discussing is the next oldest set of qigong and quan materials:

Many people say that the famous (many thousands of people in China practice it) Dragon-Tiger Qigong is one of the older qigongs to derive from Shaolin. It is 7 simple moves, the important part is to use it to generate energy from your hands and use them for healing your side meridians. These 7 movements also are very similar to Shaolin Muscle Tendon / Marrow Washing exercises / yogic movements from India. Dragon and Tiger originated 1,500 years ago in the Shaolin Temple. Many Taoist qigong sets were practiced there, and although Dragon and Tiger has a Buddhist name, it is nevertheless in the Taoist neigong tradition. It uses the Taoist meridian line system that was developed for health and meditation.

Some time later in Shaolin, the Rou Gong and Rou Quan material was developed in Shaolin. This is the stuff I am most interested right now in researching. The Rou Gong and the related Rou Quan (note: Quan also can be translated as "exercises" rather than "fist") were practiced by only the head monks and kept secretive. The Shaolin Rou Gong comes from a qigong set called the Luohan 13 Postures set. There is a Rou Quan form that incorporates these 13 postures, plus some others for a total of 18 postures. There is also a 36 posture Rou Quan set, and a 108 posture set. They are still practiced today by Shaolin lineages that left after the 1928 fire. The 108 Rou Quan set includes not only the Luohan 13 postures, but also the movements from the Dragon-Tiger qigong set, interestingly.

The sets are collections of loose techniques, the postures can be done in any order once learned. You can also do the Rou Quan sets as qigong sets, the self defense applications arise from the qigong movements. Rou Quan is high level Shaolin in that it is a qigong that can be used as self defense martial art, perfect for monks. The movements are done alternatively as soft and hard, slow and fast.

(Note: There is a Qing Dynasty set of Shaolin Rou Quan forms, as shown in the Shaolin Encyclopedia, which mixed Louhan Quan with Rou Quan, but I am not discussing this type of Rou Quan system. There are also other Rou Quan sets out there that are unrelated as well, such as seen in modern era Da Bien style from Beijing area)

I've throughly examined all the postures and movements in these sets for the past 4+ years, both the qigong and the quan sets. What I have observed is that the movements when not done as static postures are Tong Bei techniques, including Shuai Jiao like takedowns/throws, which the Tong Bei style system has in it. Especially the 108 Rou Quan set, this set is like a grand collection of Tong Bei movements merged with qigong movements (they are superimposed, if you can understand what I mean). I know that Tong Bei is Taoist in origin basically.
Also, just about every Tong Bei style has a 108 posture set. I need to research them to see if any are in the same sequence of movements as this particular 108 Rou Quan set. Tong Bei was always taught as secretively as Rou Quan was, back then.

What I have also observed, is that these Rou Quan forms can be done empty handed and also with the staff. I have also noted before that any Shaolin Louhan form can also be done with the staff with no changing of movements needed.

Now the interesting thing is that these movements with the staff can also be done with the sword instead, which really makes it look like Tong Bei movements, and of course Tong Bei is based on sword movements in the first place.

I guess other people have observed this too, judging from this book:
"Down through the ages, the exercises as practiced at Shaolin Temple have developed into the largest wushu school with hundreds of routines in different styles, from which many other schools have been derived. Of these mention may be made of Hong boxing, Pao Chui boxing, Liu Ho boxing, ba duan jin ("8 section brocade" exercises) which is said to have been revised by General Yue Fei (1103-1142) on the arhats' routine in 18 forms, the "stepping exercises" and "heart-and-will" school derived respectively from the dragon's and tiger's sections in Monk Bai Yu Feng's routine imitating the five animals' movements, and the long-range boxing in 36 forms compiled by the First Emperor of the Song Dynasty (960-1279). The routines can be practiced solo, duet or trio, and barehand or with ancient weapons, particularly the cudgel which has earned great reputation for Shaolin Temple."
- China Sports Publications, Shaolin Temple Wushu

It's really interesting (to me anyways) that this early Shaolin Rou Qigong and Quan that was kept so secret are in essence Tong Bei techniques with qigongs, and is applicable as staff routine in Shaolin style or Sword routine in Tong Bei style.

Also, another interesting thing: all the movements/postures seen in Shaolin Tai Tzu Chang Quan sets are contained and done exactly the same in these Rou Quan sets.

And, the Rou Quan when performed looks like some kind of Tong Bei like Tai Ji Quan. It looks like Yang Tai Chi, a lot. My opinion is that this maybe be because Chen Tai Ji Lao Jia Yi Lu form is derived from Shaolin Tai Tzu, and Yang Tai Ji comes from the Chen Lao Jia Yi Lu form. Maybe the Shaolin Rou Quan was known by Chen Chang Xin, Yang Lu Chan's teacher? And THIS is what was emphasized by him to YLC and that is why Yang appears "softer/slower" than Chen Tai Ji Quan?

Does anyone out there have any further information about what I've posted so far about Rou Quan that they can share?