A little late with this one but I couldn't find an earlier thread (I'll merge it if someone can point it to me)

May 22, 2006
Legenday Pictures to Bring Kung Fu to the Big Screen

Burbank, CA - Legendary Pictures announced today that it has acquired the feature film rights to the classic martial arts franchise, Kung Fu. The company has commenced development of a feature film version that explores the origins of the characters and the events on which the television classic was based.

"We are excited about bringing this property to the big screen. Kung Fu was a key event in the popularization of martial arts and brought the Shaolin Monks and their legend into contemporary culture" said Scott Mednick, Legendary's President of Worldwide Distribution and Marketing. "Our intention is to create a powerful rendering of these compelling characters, especially Kwai Chang Caine. We will delve into the secrets of the Shoalin and explore how Caine became Caine through his training and subsequent adventures in China."

"Much of the story of Kung Fu has not been told and we intend to tell it in a dynamic way that depicts, in a fresh, realistic manner, the very real skills that the priests of the Shoalin Temple have mastery of," said Jon Jashni, Legendary Pictures Chief Creative Officer. "This property has remained popular for decades and we look forward to adding the depth and scope that a theatrical feature can offer."

Kung Fu, made its debut as a movie of the week, starring David Carradine, in 1972, and was an instant hit. It spawned a first series produced by Warner Bros. that aired on ABC-TV from 1972-1975, along with two additional movies of the week as well as a second weekly series in 1993. Kung Fu continues as a cult classic today.

Legendary Pictures has optioned a feature screenplay from the original creator and writers of Kung Fu; Ed Spielman and Howard Friedlander.

# # #

Legendary Pictures formed a partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures in 2005 to co-produce and co-finance at least 25 pictures during an initial 5 year term, which includes a first-look distribution arrangement. The company operates from the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, California. Legendary Pictures first film was Batman Begins, directed by Chris Nolan. Future releases include Superman Returns, directed by Bryan Singer, M Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water and Roland Emmerich's 10,000 B.C.