And remember to ignore the political stuff...like what I am spapping at the mouth about and have a great time.

Dark Knight, I agree that the word 'Penan' is used to describe sets in the Villari's system, but go to a japanese martial art school and see the MAJOR differences and the ommisions. Altered sets. Missing meaning.

I was told the 'Kata' forms were the Heian sets from shotokan. nope...not even close.

The animal forms I saw performed and learned were...innovative and interesting...but have little to do with the classical chinese forms for the animals other than the names being similiar.

I admit I am bitter, burned out and badly in need of a vacation.

I have posted on this before, I end up saying the same thing every time:

Villari's martial art is just that, Frd Villari's martial art. It may have been deeply influenced by other arts, but now it HIS art in full. I believe he and his art does himself a disservice for calling it anything else.

Fred Villari created an art that shoudl be able to stand on its own without claiming to have bettered so many lineages. Literally stating: using all the good and omitting all of the bad techniques.

listed as they were when I was there:

Shaolin Kempo Karate, Kung Fu, Jiu Jitsu and Tai Chi.

Shaolin is a life study all by itself to gain any real benefit from it. Northern or southern. Having studied Northern and having good friends practicing Hung Gar, never learned any in Villari's.

Kempo is an art unto itself.

Karate is an art unto itself.

Kung Fu is a generic term for martial arts, also kind of like 'Xerox', adds brand name recognition.

Jiu Jitsu is also an art unto itself, a lifetime study.

Tai Chi CHUAN, as it should be called when you are referring to the martial art, is an art UNTO itself as well.

To have all of those influences is great, I can really appreciate the work he put into his art.

He should just cut the crap and call it what it is: Villari Do.

I have yet to meet an instructor that really impresses me. My brother and a good friend are ranked teachers in the style. They have good skills, both get a sheepish look on their face when you ask about the over the top style of lineage claiming.

Its just not needed.

Okay, Rant is done.

That all above having been said, I would study it today if I could get an honest answer from an instructor that wasnt an advertisement.

Jenn, you just go, ignore us old bitter folk and ENJOY yourself.

**** I need a vacation. I need a LONG vacation.

just a few pennies from a pig.....
-"bigger is BIGGER"

IronPig