Thread: Had a fight last night...really!!

Threaded View

Had a fight last night...really!!

Actually, I had 5....but they were legal. I entered a Judo shiai in a nearby city. I won 1st in my division (220 + ) and didn't place in the open division. Here's what happened:

first match- Sev. vs some black belt who weighed in at a little over 300...I am only 235 right now... he likes throws such as makikomi where the opponent's arms are straightened out - I fight with mine bent, which killed much of his arsenal. He was a big guy though, and hard to throw. I attempted a makimoni that failed, and a failed hiza guruma. I ended up getting a waza-ari from a double leg and that won me the match.

second match. Sev vs. a 275lb white belt. He actually had some strong attacks. I maneuvered around his sweep attempts, and attempted a makikomi which he picked was able to fully take my back and pick me up on. He dropped me forward, and we went to matwork. I was thinking he would either use tani otoshi or ura nage, both which would have gave him a score, as opposed to dumping forward, but I guess that was lack of experience on his part. I used my bread and butter - hiza guruma, which got me a yuko and I followed him to the mat, where I won via osaekomi.

Final match was against the same whitebelt. This time, however, it was quick. played with grips for a little bit, hiza guruma took him to the ground. We were stood back up, and as we approached, I feinted high, changed levels and shot for a double leg. Sev by ippon. My friend (who beat me in the open division) said that I got him up so high it looked like I was posing for the camera before I dumped him.

In the open division, first match was against a brown belt who had also wrestled all through high school. I applied forward pressure, attacked with ko soto gari, which he stepped out of and caught me with ko uchi makikomi. I fault my self though, because I forgot about his throw - soon as I saw his back, I took it and went for a choke, but we fell with my back to the mat and he was awarded ippon.

second match in open was against a friend of mine from bjj. He competes internationally in judo and in sambo (matter of fact, in 2 months he's going to russia for a big sambo tourney) - I had no chance from the beginning. He's only about 180, but he's built like me and has an unstoppable drop knee seionage.

Our match lasted about 3 mins, and afterwards, he commented on how strong I'd gotten. I was attacking with my hiza and also makikomi - I tried makikomi so much because it is something new that I am working on... obviously, as it didn't work at all yesterday. he caught me with two of his drop knees that resulted in yukos and gorund work, where we were stood back up. I shot for a double leg, which he sprawled out of, and later for a kata guruma. In the end, he threw me for ippon with his drop knee. He ended up winning 1st in both his division and in open.

Afterwards, there was a two hour clinic that focused on grip fighting, vatriations of ko uchi gari (because of this clinic, I REALLY like that technique now and will likely use it more) and a few ground techniques. It was a great clinic, the grip fighting led into ko uchi gari, and the ground portion was things to do if your opponent turns out of the ko uchi before his back hits the mat.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 10-26-2003 at 08:20 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter