Thread: Reserving ... um ... jing (?)

Threaded View

it is easy to blame media. no one wants to face up for themselves. at the same time, this country enables people to shift blame. like when dude goes out and murders someone, then pleads insanity. "it's not my fault, i'm insane". and you got lawyers that will bust a$$ to prove that.

this is OT of the celibacy issue (but not really in the end), but what's the deal with newspapers and tv being all about who was killed, who got raped, who's been arrested for stealing money from the elderly, etc? we as a people aren't only bombarded with sexual undertones, but violent ones as well. i never read the paper (except for sports) or watch news on tv (except for sports), cuz i never see positive things. it's all one big negative tidal wave that won't stop breaking on people's heads. war, murder, injustice, anger, negativity.

practicing celibacy isn't hard. i'm not going against my urges for sex because they aren't strong enough to be termed "going against" in the first place. maybe it's partly because i'm disappointed with how people are so hung up on it, and how our culture in stuck in it...that and violence....that practicing celibacy is in some way cleaning my conscious of our cultures illnesses. one can flip it and say "yea, but why practice martial arts if you are against violence?" partly because i gain the peace of mind in knowing i can properly and efficiently defend me and my family's lives from the sensless violence that our culture is preoccupied with, if it should manifest as an attacker, bugler, mugger, terrorist, etc.

as evolution said, i think you can't blame a video game or tv show for some kid flippin out and killing. but at the same time the violent input is so great on kids today (tv, video games, news, movies) that it's almost like what other output could be expected? so while i can't blame tv and all that, i'm not suprised that it happens due to tv and all that.

evolution fist, we should meet up at washington sq sometime and play chess.
    Last edited by Justa Man; 02-22-2002 at 11:59 AM.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang