Thread: Vampire flicks:

Threaded View

It Follows (2014)

IMO, this is one of the better American horror films I've seen in a long time. Is it perfect? No. But for the most part, it gets away from the usual American horror movie cliches of cheap 'jump' scares, growling/roaring entities, overdone graphic bloodshed, etc., and instead relies on a feeling of atmospheric menace. And for that, I rate it very highly.

In all honesty, it's not a vampire film in the traditional bloodsucking sense. Simply put, it's about an entity who is passed on from one person to another through sexual intercourse. Then the entity, a type of shapeshifting succubus/incubus, will stalk the latest person to 'inherit' it. As long as this last person isn't caught and killed, the entity will no longer stalk the one(s) who passed it on.

The movie is shot in Detroit. It's hard for me to pinpoint the exact time period it takes place in. Some things seem like current times, but in more ways, it looks like sometime in the 1990s. Involving mainly teens, there is very little evidence of parents. The pacing is probably a bit slow for many current audiences. However, I consider this a more thought-provoking film than most current horror movies.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-16-2015 at 02:45 PM.