Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
Songshan

Shaolin Temple was 1st and foremost a Buddhist Religous Temple.

Sure they've accepted lay disciples at times but nothing like the commercial aspect of it today.

I would guess that 90% of their activities is the propogation of martial arts.

As such they don't follow typical regulations that put individiuals in a laymen's position for quite some time not unlike a "Prospect" who wants membership in a MC.

Usually there is a trial period before an individual is ordained some of the regulations are:

"The Ten Precepts upheld by śrāmaṇeras are:

Refrain from killing living things.
Refrain from stealing.
Refrain from unchastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust).
Refrain from lying.
Refrain from taking intoxicants.
Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon).
Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garland (decorative accessories).
Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds.
Refrain from accepting money."

I would make the assumption that they would have to be Buddhist just to qualify.

My issue is the commercialization and the bad seeds that come from it and yes there is alot of it going on in the martial arts in general.
Ngokfei, christian priests and pastors strive to follow rules like that as well. Noone can ever be born to adhere to these principles and never violate them. Its a daily lifestyle commitment. To sit here and dismiss modern shaolin because of the things you posted is indeed absurd. It happens in all religions not just shaolin.

I see nothing wrong with Shaolin promoting martial arts in general or even commercializing it. Money is a need for survival in the year 2013. You said it martial arts is a business in the west as well.