Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
What you say is true and smart and that is so rare here so I wanted to let you know it's appreciated.

Personally, I like wrestlers because they don't like being on their back, and instead of securing a position, like half guard and work from there, they tend so squirm and give the back or other opportunities..... this of course is generalizing the reactions of non-figthing wrestlers.

Judo guys are tough. Not only because of the throws, they understand the grip game at a high level. They set things up from the very beginning. Very good at tugging on the collar. And they have a powerful ground game.

Sambo guys, in my experience, are sneaky little *******s.... and you have to watch for the ankle and knee locks. I like that about them. For 6 months all I did was take private lessons at Renzo's for leg locks.... because they told me they weren't allowed in while belt classes. I like to train the moves that work so well and cause so much damage they're illegal. People freak out. Tap..... or get hurt.

Not sure what the point of this is, but its good to know the strengths and tendencies of each style.... the weak part of non-figthing, non competing BJJers is that they are delicate...... they'll flinch when accidentally elbowed, catch a knee, head butt. etc. But most non-fighters and/or competitors will.

I honestly have to say, pound for pound, year to year, it's very hard to beat BJJ in a 1-to-1 match..... they change levels and get under striking. They take a strike to gain control for the take down.. Once down, its like fish out of water for the non BJJer.

BJJ is a great style. That's why endorse it. And I've been at places that place equal emphasis on self defense and others that are 100% training to roll and just roll factories.... which I like too.

Either way, BJJers should train some boxing or kick boxing the same way a boxer or kick boxer should train a little BJJ.

I would guess dedicated TCMAers who are comfortable with their hands, compete in San Da or kick boxing, eventually find their way to BJJ.... and then adding that go to MMA. It's natural.

This is not to say that MMA is better. It's just a more open environment..... fighters want to fight as unrestrained as possible. For their own freedom. And for knowing when they win they won against the others best.

What does this mean for Kung Fu?

I would think it means one of a few things:

Focus on what you do best.... focus on the trapping and sticking. Advertise that. Sell that.

But who would it draw? Fighters want to see proof. They want to see it work. They want to feel and test a technique.... it's their a$$ on the line.

So why would an MMAer go devote 10 years to walking in a circle when those who walk circle can't do what he does? But anyone can walk around and around..... well, they say the others don't walk round and round the right way? But what difference is the way around if both ways go nowhere..... no proof. no living example.

So the other way is to change:

To adapt new ways. But will you adapt BJJ better than the lifetime student who has 3 sons with schools? Maybe.

What about the hands? Do you need to change from stick and follow to create openings/angles? Can you do that better than boxing? Maybe.
OMG - Ray! You're losing the hate.

This is a good post -