The obvious is my Sifu's approach which has always been open to cross training through exposure to other systems. He's always stated that he knows his stuff so he's not afraid that students will leave if they're exposed to other systems because they'll always come back for good kung fu... he's right. We always come back for the good kung fu.

Anyway...

I like Liang Shou Yu's universal approach meaning that style and geography aren't as important as techniques and philosophy (at least that's my take after reading a couple of his books). I like that a person could learn a Southern and a Northern system in the same school. He does seem to make a difference between the internal and external approaches in his writing but stresses the importance of doing both. I'd actually credit him with giving us westerners the notion that there's only Shuai, Na, Ti, Da in kung fu.

I like the New York San Da MMA approach to CMA, same with Tony Chen. I guess you can put Alexander Tao's no nonsense hard core kung fu in there too.

And lets not forget YouKnowWho and David Lin and the Combat Shuai Chiao organization. Excellent approaches.

I like all of these people for their focus on combat above style or name. I like the balanced, universal approach to martial arts study.

How about you guys... Thoughts?