^The Turtles need NYC. I think the problem with the Shredder in the original movies was that they tried to give a more authentic looking samurai construction to the dude's gear and it didn't work. The helmet was too bulky, the bladed gauntlets and shoulder armor looked chintzy, etc. If they did that stuff up more like the comic, where it's solid steel and gave him a sleeker helm, he could be so badass. The movies basically had him never getting his hands dirty until the end, he was a sort of mix between the do-nothing Shredder of the cartoons and the Shredder of the original comics... and even he's basically overblown. There were only 2 major stories with Shredder in it. The first issue, in which he promptly gets blown to smithereens by a grenade, and Return To New York where he is cloned with special worms by the Foot Clan and then there are 3 freakish versions made with the same worms that Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo fight while Leonardo goes to find the normal Shredder clone and put an end to him.

I think your idea is cool, but not the Canadian wilderness. Upstate NY would work, since there is comic precedent for that with the Turtles taking refuge in a farmhouse that belonged to Casey Jones' family. I'll go so far as to say the difference between the Mirage Turtles and the Cartoon Turtles is the attitudes of the Turtles themselves and the violence levels. Both had some tripped out sci-fi ish going on though. It was rarely, if ever, really fully "ninja-y" IMO.