Many martial arts have philosophy. Many martial arts also have a code of ethics that defines the "ideal" martial artist. I think ethics are very important in life. I have talked to many people about ethics. Some have told me it is just human limits we put on ourself for no reason. Everyone's opinion is fine, but I believe from experience that being a good moral person is a goal of many martial artists.

The tenets of tae kwon do. Simple, to the point, but applicable to life nonetheless.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverence
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

I believe these attributes must be practised just as much as the physical techniques themselves. This is just my opinion though, some say they only take a martial art for self defense. I still think this applies to them though.

One of the reasons I am into the martial arts is because I used to think it was just violence, but now I see the real spirit behind it. Not just in ethics though. I have seen the martial arts have such a positive impact on so many people.

My brother probably had less self esteem than anyone I've ever known. He was always so depressed. Taking tae kwon do has truly livened his spirit. He seems to really be alive for the first time now. The martial arts can really change a person for the better if it is more than just the physical fighting.

Any comments?