Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Countering grapplers

The Ultimate grappling counter is a secret technique known as the "Tapp"

It consists of rapidly patting your hand on the ground, or the side of your opponent.This is an unstoppable technique that instantly renders your opponent's attack useless.

When used, they find themselves completely unable to persue and they automatically stop, often completely dropping thier defenses and become wide open for even the crappiest of attacks.

Use the "Tapp" often, and use it in combination with kicks, elbows punches and takedowns or head spikes. You will surely find it one of the most effective tools in your arsenal!!

I nominate the above as Royal Dragon's career best post.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

can you imagine?

a guy gets in a street fight, takes the other guy down, who then taps and he lets go! bwahahaha. That is just the wrong muscle memory to get.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    That is just the wrong muscle memory to get.
    then perhaps one shouldn't memorize things they wish to forget...

If it were anything but jokes and fantasy... it's not. :|
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Seven years later, Uki has a reply...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Learn to sprawl. Once you have learned to sprawl you can learn how to spin around to your opponents back and be able to apply a nice rear naked choke.

Once you have sprawled on your opponent and your stomach is on the back of his head and upper back you spin around to his back side by shuffling your feet around. Keep your weight on his back to make him support you. You maybe can work a nice cross face in on him using your forearm as you spin to his back (this puts your arm in a good position to put around his neck for the rear naked choke).

Mkriii's advice isn't wrong. Sprawling is a fundamental defense. That being said it's not perfect. Last time I was wrestling and tried a single-leg pick I was being choked from a standing guillotine at the time and the guy didn't try to sprawl... he actually got the better of me in that exchange and although I escaped the choke doing so gave him position for an arm bar.

The time before that my opponent (a different guy) tried to sprawl but didn't move fast enough. I sensed his intention and aborted my attempt at the takedown. The end result was that as I pulled up and he dropped down his nose made contact with the back of my head. It was unintentional and who knows if a ref would have called it during a match but, the reality was, he had to stand out for a minute until the stars faded.

So, yes, the sprawl is a fundamental defensive technique.

But, like any technique, it is not infallable. Nor is it the only way to deal with a grappler shooting for your legs.

And, furthermore it doesn't really help unless the grappler is shooting for one or both of the legs.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Learn to sprawl. Once you have learned to sprawl you can learn how to spin around to your opponents back and be able to apply a nice rear naked choke.

Once you have sprawled on your opponent and your stomach is on the back of his head and upper back you spin around to his back side by shuffling your feet around. Keep your weight on his back to make him support you. You maybe can work a nice cross face in on him using your forearm as you spin to his back (this puts your arm in a good position to put around his neck for the rear naked choke).
    Reply]
    Why bother? That is too much work. Why not just let them take you down, Tapp, and then punch them in the throat when they drop their defenses?

You... were joking about the tap-muscle-response thing right? Because when I previously endorsed your comments I thought you were applying humour, not suggesting an actual tactical doctrine.
    Simon McNeil

Whew, good to know.
    Simon McNeil

Although, if a Grappler raped my daughter, and got the best of me, i am tapping, pulling my knife and gutting him while his defenses are down.

That is assuming he's actually managed to take me down in the first place.

Why not just pull the knife BEFORE he started grappling?
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post

Of course it's not that simple. Your opponent is not just going to sit there waiting for you to get behind him (unless he learned 'takedowns' during a one-day seminar, or was a crappy wrestler in high school 20 years ago and thinks that makes him a badass today).