Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Art of the Straight Line by Lou Reed

Hybrid View

Continued from previous

© STEPHANIE DIANI.

It’s terrible that we lost him too soon, but I can’t help thinking that he’s fortunate to have you as the keeper of his legacy. I’m curious how you think about that.

Frankly, at first, I felt it as a huge, overwhelming responsibility that I was not at all prepared for. Because we never, for one second, talked about his death, his not being there. We just didn’t talk about it. Not that he was in denial, but we just didn’t talk about it. I was like, wait, I’m responsible now? Oh, my God. And it was, for a while, very heavy. But it’s so much fun thinking of him and his work, and getting a chance to read it and reread it and think about it in different ways. It’s a wild way to be with your partner. You learn certain things about them. And I didn’t do that when I met him, I didn’t do any research. I just met him as a person.

Is it true that at that time you didn’t know who he was?

I had heard his name, but I thought he was British, for example. That’s a stupid thing. I’m not proud of that. You’d think everybody in New York knows everybody in New York in their field, but music is huge in New York. It’s composed of 100 different scenes that don’t necessarily intersect.

I’ve actually been thinking about the power of these legacy releases. Around the time you and Lou met, I was in high school and a friend of mine got hold of that CD box set of the Velvet Underground with all the albums and outtakes. I bought a copy, and it was almost life-changing. It really became foundational music for me.

It’s funny how generations forget things. When I went to the Barbie movie—I liked the movie. It’s not a great movie, but what was great about it was the girls there. Feminism was news to them. I was like, “That’s why I should keep these ideas percolating, because there are kids who’ve grown up in such a different world that they don’t even know any of that.”

And of course, they have to make it their own anyway, and they have to figure out all of that for themselves. But it’s also nice to know that, before you, there were some people who thought that through. And it was mind-blowing to me that those were new concepts. And these are 13-, 14-year-old kids. And I thought, I feel such great solidarity with these girls. It was wonderful. Yeah, I think introducing music from 50 years ago to kids who are trying to figure out, like you were, what is music? And here’s something that comes floating in a box. And they go, “Whoa, where did that come from?” It’s amazing.

I do think there’s value in reminding people of the great things that humans have done, great movies they’ve made, great books they’ve written, beautiful sculptures. Lou and I used to go to The Metropolitan Museum and look at the weapons collection.

Really?

In New York, we live in a city of incredible treasures. And it’s all things that we can go and have a look at and go, “Who made that for what?” You forget that culture isn’t just what’s coming down the pipeline into your laptop. I’ve been rereading Ginsberg lately, and just having my mind opened up to some of the great things that he…I knew Allen, and so did Lou, and we both liked him, but he had this way of bumping heads that we both hated. He would see you and he’d knock your head.

Physically bump your head?

Yes. It was a Tibetan greeting. And he would, like, boom. I was like, “Oh, stop doing that.” But for some reason we just…maybe it was because we were friends or we were too close to see what a genius he was, what incredible works of art he made. And then when you see it from another perspective, “Howl” is like the national anthem. What an incredibly rich history we have as Americans, as people who’ve made really just insanely great things. And so being part of the engine that keeps things coming out, I’m really, really happy to help do that a bit.

Is there anything you can share about what else you’re planning to release?

There are a bunch of things that we found in the archives that we’re going to put out. The Lou Reed archive is at the New York Public Library, and anybody can go in and hear anything they want. They can hear the first Velvet Underground rehearsal. It’s all free. You can just go in and geek out. And that, to me, was very important. It’s not a white-glove thing. And people really use it.

On March 2, which is his birthday, we’re going to do an event there. Lou started most of his concerts with drones. He and his guitar tech would have a whole array of amplifiers, and then he’d lean the guitars against them and the feedback would just be crushing. It was Metal Machine Music to the max. So we’ve done that in many places—in churches, cathedrals, caves, venues, festivals, music festivals. And this year we’re going to do one at the New York Public Library

At the risk of departing entirely from Vanity Fair–friendly topics, can we talk a little bit about drones? In 2022, you released a collection of Lou’s demos called Words & Music, May 1965, where we hear him singing “Heroin” in a folky style reminiscent of Bob Dylan. Fast-forward two years and we get the album version with John Cale sawing away on an electric viola. My assumption was that John Cale had brought the drone to Lou from the world of classical music, but is that right? Is this something that you ever discussed?

We did. We did a lot. Because to tell you the truth, drones were everywhere then. Mostly, it was La Monte Young, but everybody was doing drones. It wasn’t anything new. Charlemagne Palestine was starting to do things around then. Terry Riley. Drones were in. They were how you did music. And I don’t think anybody would say, “I invented the drone.” It would be crazy. Lou was at La Monte’s things, and so was John. They were getting that from there, and they were getting that eventually from ragas. La Monte had spent a lot of time in India. That’s really where it came from. It came from meditation. It came from India. It came from ragas. Endless, very loud brainwaves. And so it’s gone full circle, in many ways.

Do you think he was frustrated by the critical reception to Metal Machine Music at the time? Or did he think it was funny that he’d freaked everyone out?

On the surface, I think he loved to be the bad boy, but he was hurt that people didn’t get it or like it. He wanted people to like what he did. It meant a lot to him to make it, and he wanted it to mean something to people who listened to it. He cared about that a lot. I think he pretended he didn’t, but he did.

Will Hermes recently published a biography of Lou. How did you feel about that?

Well, I don’t really talk to any of the journalists who write these things, and I don’t read them. Although I did read a couple of things in here, because supposedly he was quoting me. And it did sound like he had talked to me. I never talked to him. I am in the school of Oscar Wilde, who said, “Biographers are the body snatchers of literature.” He also said, in a much harsher way, “Some people have a lot of disciples, but only Judas writes the biography.”

I have read biographies of people, and Catherine the Great was a great biography. I can’t read them about Lou because they’re all so wrong. Unless you really were with somebody, even the greatest active imagination will not get you there. That’s all I have to say about it. I know people write biographies, but I myself don’t read them. I don’t especially like being quoted in them.

[Will Hermes responds: “Laurie declined to be interviewed for this book for reasons I totally appreciate—a lot of people were writing books about Reed after his death. I did interview Anderson for my first book, Love Goes to Building on Fire, and for a New York Times feature a while back, and I quote her from those interviews. She and her team were helpful and encouraging during the years I worked on this book, and I make a point of stating clearly in the book that it’s not an ‘authorized biography.’”]

Do you feel that you have an obligation to tell the story the right way, in a sense?

No, this is not a contest. And there is no real right way to tell somebody’s life story. And I appreciate the impulse of wanting to tell someone’s story. I really do. I can’t say I admire it, but I appreciate the idea. Why wouldn’t I want to tell this person’s life story? It could be interesting to people. All of that’s true, and all of that means that I also don’t want to read it.

What about Todd Haynes’s Velvet Underground documentary? Did you see that?

Yeah, I thought it was okay. I wish there was a—yeah, no, it was fine.

Before I let you go, can you tell me what you’re up to? Because you obviously have your own incredible career and artistic practice.

Well, I’m working on finishing an orchestra piece about Amelia Earhart. And I’m working on a new big work for next fall about the end of the world. And let’s see, what else? A couple of books and some exhibitions. All kinds of things. I’m making a movie.

What’s the movie?

The movie is kind of a bunch of stories strung together.

Well, listen, I really appreciate you talking to me about this. I love the record, and I’m going to make it the first thing I put on the turntable with my toddler.

Good luck with that!
    Having Lou on the cover was a big, big accomplishment for us too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jokermen podcast

LAURIE ANDERSON on Lou Reed & "Hudson River Wind Meditations"
    New Podcast Episode
    Jan 15
    31 min 40 sec

Episode Description
    The Jokermen are joined by the great Laurie Anderson to discuss Lou Reed, his artistic practice, and the extraordinary reissue of his final solo record, Hudson River Wind Meditations, available now from Light In The Attic.
    A new interview with Laurie Anderson about his final solo record which was Tai Chi based. I just posted the Spotify link above but here's the Jokermen link tree for other platforms.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Kitchen Sisters Present "Lou Reed's Tai Chi"

I'm excited to be part of this and hope to see some of you there.

Thursday, January 25

A live, free, in-person event featuring a presentation of the story "Lou Reed's Tai Chi" with the Kitchen Sisters
    By KALW Public Media

Date and time
    Thursday, January 25 · 5 - 8pm PST

220 Montgomery Street San Francisco, CA 94104
    Show map
    Agenda
    5:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Doors and drinks

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM

The Kitchen Sisters present "Lou Reed's Tai Chi"

7:00 PM - 7:15 PM

Gene Ching leads Tai Chi exercise

About this event
    3 hours
    Mobile eTicket
    The Kitchen Sisters give a live and free presentation of their latest story, based on oral histories with the people closest to the rock and roll hall of famer.

It's a Podcast Listening Party with The Kitchen Sisters (Davia & Nikki). Come hear their new episode “Lou Reed’s Tai Chi,” along with a Zoom conversation with Lou’s widow, the artist and musician Laurie Anderson. Afterwards, Gene Ching, publisher and editor of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, longtime tai chi practitioner, and friend of Lou Reed, will lead an introductory tai chi session with the group.

It's also a celebration of the 2023 book, “The Art of the Straight Line: Lou Reed’s Tai Chi,” which will be available for purchase onsite from Medicine for Nightmares bookstore.

Snacks and drinks will be provided on site.

Drop ins welcome.

5 p.m. — Doors and drinks

6 p.m. — The Kitchen Sisters present "Lou Reed's Tai Chi" and Laurie Anderson joins via Zoom

7 p.m. — Gene Ching leads a tai chi exercise

Please note:

The event space is just to the left of the main entrance to the Mills Building at 220 Montgomery Street
    We recommend taking BART/MUNI, exiting at Montgomery, and walking two blocks north
    If you drive, there are several garages within two blocks of the event location
    Ride shares can easily drop you off and pick you up right out front
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From KALW's site

Thursday, January 25 · 6 - 7:15pm PST

A live, free, in-person event featuring a presentation of the story "Lou Reed's Tai Chi" with the Kitchen Sisters

It's a Podcast Listening Party with The Kitchen Sisters (Davia & Nikki). Come hear their new episode “Lou Reed’s Tai Chi,” along with a Zoom conversation with Lou’s widow, the artist and musician Laurie Anderson. Afterwards, Gene Ching, publisher and editor of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, longtime tai chi practitioner, and friend of Lou Reed, will lead an introductory tai chi session with the group.

It's also a celebration of the 2023 book, “The Art of the Straight Line: Lou Reed’s Tai Chi,” which will be available for purchase onsite from Medicine for Nightmares bookstore.

Snacks and drinks will be provided on site.

KALW @ 220 Montgomery
    Free
    06:00 PM - 07:15 PM on Thu, 25 Jan 2024
    Hope to see ya!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Killers

"We were scared to death about working with him": The Killers on the time they recorded a song with Lou Reed
    Niall Doherty
    Sun, January 21, 2024 at 5:50 AM PST·2 min read

The Killers have been involved in some first-rate collaborations in their two decades as Las Vegas’ finest purveyors of anthemic indie-pop. There has been team-ups with Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Marr, the Pet Shop Boys and Phoebe Bridgers from Brandon Flowers’ crew but perhaps the most impressive is the time they enlisted late rock’n’roll icon and the world’s grouchiest man Lou Reed to duet on their 2007 song Tranquilize.

The Perfect Day singer taught them to up their work ethic, the band told this writer a few years ago. “One of the more positive notes was he tried to impart some knowledge he learned from Andy Warhol,” Flowers explained. “He told us a story that Andy Warhol would ask him, ‘How many songs did you write today Lou?’ And he’d say, ‘I wrote one song’ and Andy would say, ‘Why didn’t you write five?’ He told us that the first day we were working with him and the next day we came in the studio and he said, ‘How many songs did you write today Brandon?’ Haha! So it’s instilled in me to keep trying and working harder and he wrote a lot, that’s why he was so good at it. We were scared to death about working with him.”

The thing that broke the ice, stated drummer Ronnie Vanucci, was Reed showing the band how to do Tai Chi. “He was really into Tai Chi,” recalled the sticksman. “I don’t know anything about it. I don’t know how it came up but he was in leather pants doing these moves and showing me these squat moves and holding a leg out and all about the centre. It’s a pretty good memory for me. That’s the only time I’ve ever tried Tai Chi.”

Reed’s devotion to the martial art lives on – last year, a book titled The Art Of The Straight Line collated Reed’s writings about Tai Chi. Whilst The Killers didn’t take to it, they did pay attention to his other piece of advice. They’ve put out a lot of music since 2007, songs that have helped keep them near the top of the indie-rock pile. Listen to their collaboration with Reed below:
    This sounds like it was just excerpted from his book.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From Violet Li's student

Tai Chi Lessons From A Rock Legend
    Authored by Josh Henkin

Anyone that really connects and falls in love with Tai Chi always seems to find that they change. They feel it and those around them generally notice as well. It can be difficult to explain, but I find comments such as “you seem calmer, more at peace” a common theme among such reactions.

Such personal changes often are greatly positive and something that is touted as why Tai Chi is such a impactful practice. However, explaining why or how this happens seems to be challenging at times. Trying to explain concepts like qi or going into the science can both go over people’s heads.

That is why I really appreciate books like Lou Reed’s “The Art of the Straight Line: My Tai Chi”. Lou Reed was a famous musician, even though he was bit before my time, his songs have been quite iconic in pop culture. I think having an artist like Mr. Reed write about Tai Chi is quite perfect, as Tai Chi is an art form as much as a martial art. The book is not really written by Mr. Reed, but a collection of some of his thoughts about the practice and many great stories by people that knew him well. From his wife, to his martial arts teachers, and close friends, we get to see how Tai Chi impacted him in many ways.

Why didn’t Mr. Reed write the book himself? It is explained by many close to him that it was challenging for him to encapsulate all that Tai Chi has to offer in a book. Additionally, his friends comment about a very relatable issue where Mr. Reed didn’t think he was enough of an authority to really write a book about Tai Chi. Those of us that really love the whole practice of Tai Chi (the physical and philosophical aspects) can relate to such feelings. I appreciate when Mr. Reed says he is a student of martial arts while his teacher, Master Ren GuangYi, is a martial artist. That feeling is something that hits close to home for myself as well.

I’ll admit, this book may seem a bit abstract for someone who is generally interested in Tai Chi and even some of the descriptions of specific movements may not make sense if you are not currently practicing. Yet, there are so many valuable aspects of this book it should be part of anyone’s library who is practicing and the lessons can serve as valuable ideas to share with those who are intrigued by the practice. Just like Tai Chi, you have to go deeper on the stories and ideas, seeing them more as lessons than just interesting anecdotes.

One of the ideas that kept popping up in the book that I found highly intriguing was the consistent references to how Mr. Reed wanted to learn how to fight. While it was clear that literally, Mr. Reed wanted to learn how to fight, I think there was also a metaphor for battling many of life’s challenges. Mr. Reed fought problems with addiction and seemingly emotional demons as well. Many of the stories I hear of those that start practicing Tai Chi and even myself, are people that start because they are “fighting” physical and emotional challenges.

A Tai Chi post by Lou Reed (photo from Harper Collins)
    Mr. Reed’s second martial arts teacher, Leung Shum, tells of Mr. Reed coming to him wanting to learn how use Tai Chi for fighting. The problem was that Mr. Reed was still using drugs and couldn’t stop shaking enough to learn the forms well. Mr. Shum told him unless he stopped using that he wouldn’t teach him Tai Chi. This story while a true one, I think can also be a metaphor about how one practices and why they practice Tai Chi. Unless we are willing to let go of those things that we are battling, you can’t really tap into completely what Tai Chi has to offer.

A quote in the book that struck me is “you can’t do Tai Chi angry.” Such a simple statement with a profound meaning as Tai Chi makes people go into themselves and learn to be more at peace with sometimes very difficult things. The practice itself helps that process and opens people to finding a better way of being and not always feeling the need to “fight”, but finding more joy in the present.

One of the statements that I found most true was, “Tai Chi is medicine”, I think those that not only practice the movements, but also the philosophy realize that this is very true. Tai Chi can be great medicine for the mind and the body. In fact, when one reads that Mr. Reed would practice for hours that might seem like something impossible to do in one’s own life. However, I think people should understand that Tai Chi was Mr. Reed’s best medicine for dealing with his addictions, his personal issues, and even his declining health. The idea of “grounding” and balancing one’s self is something that I believe was really behind the message of his lengthy time practicing.

A Tai Chi post by Lou Reed (photo from Harper Collins)
    There is such an emphasis on practice and being intentional that I hope people don’t get caught up on the literal aspects of the stories, but rather the meaning behind them. One doesn’t have to practice for hours upon hours to feel the benefits of Tai Chi, but they do have to be willing to practice consistently and to do so with the right intent. Very much like life, it is what we do with the time that we are very mindful that makes the biggest impact.

Maybe my favorite part of the book overall was the consistent theme that Mr. Reed wasn’t perfect. Tai Chi didn’t solve all of his life’s problems, but the practice helped him find peace, his place in the world, deal with serious health challenges, and feel more connected to people and his music. Reading that Mr. Reed was literally practicing Tai Chi as he passed in many ways is very beautiful and sums up the power of Tai Chi.

All too often death scares us, we are full of fear, often regret, and it makes that transition of life so much more challenging. However, it sounded like when Mr. Reed passed, he wasn’t feeling those things, there was truly a peacefulness and openness about dying. Is there any better example of how Tai Chi helps us live better, when it also helps us with feeling connected to life when life as we know it is leaving us? A worthwhile book for anyone who wants to improve their own straight line of life (from birth to death) and find more meaning in the journey.

About the Author: Josh Henkin is a certified strength & conditioning specialist with 30 years in the fitness and performance industry. He is a highly sought after educator and presenter in the areas of functional training and corrective exercise, teaching in 13 countries and many national conferences. In addition, Josh’s work has been published in over 20 national publications including Men’s Health and the Wall Street Journal. The past couple of years Josh has practiced Tai Chi to help manage an aggressive form of degenerative spinal disease and is fortunate to be a student of Violet Li.
    I imagine I'll see Violet at TCEC in two weeks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips