Thread: Buddhists behaving badly

Hybrid View

Venerable Jaseung

Late South Korean Buddhist monk’s alleged misdeeds back in spotlight after shocking death
    Venerable Jaseung’s death through self-immolation came at the peak of his popularity
    The influential monk’s passing has brought renewed attention to allegations of corruption and misconduct
    South Korea

Park Chan-kyong
    Published: 7:09pm, 1 Dec, 2023

The death of an influential South Korean Buddhist monk by apparent suicide through self-immolation has cast the spotlight back on allegations of corruption and misconduct that have plagued him for years.

The 69-year-old Venerable Jaseung’s charred remains were discovered on Thursday among the burned ruins of a temple dormitory, at Chiljang Buddhist Temple in Anseong city, around 80km south of Seoul.

News of the religious leader’s passing made headlines across South Korea, because Jaseung appeared to have taken his life at the peak of his popularity.

Police officers and firefighters examine the site of a fire at a dormitory for Buddhist monks inside Chiljang Temple in Anseong, South Korea, on Thursday. Photo: EPA-EFE/Yonhap

Forensic analysis confirmed the recovered remains belonged to Jaseung, who, for many years, held considerable influence within South Korea’s predominant Buddhist sect, the Jogye Order.

“I’m sorry for causing a lot of trouble by ending my life here … This building will be restored by my disciples. I’m both sorry and grateful,” read a note, apparently handwritten by the monk, that was left in his car parked nearby.

In his farewell message to Buddhists, Jaseung left a Zen-style Nirvana chant that read: “There exists neither life nor death, but there is no place without life and death either. As nothing is left to pursue further, my existence in this world disappears accordingly.”

Surveillance footage reportedly showed Jaseung carrying two plastic containers filled with combustible liquid into the dorm before a blaze whipped through the single floor structure late on Wednesday.

“Venerable Jaseung has awakened all Buddhists with his self-immolation, praying for the stability of the Jogye Order and the salvation of the world through the propagation of the Dharma,” Venerable Wubong, the Jogye Order spokesman, told journalists.

Jaseung had been concerned about the status and role of Buddhism. He had a strong will to solve the problems facing the order, such as the declining population
    Venerable Jugyeong

The Jogye Order said it would hold a five-day funeral led by its current leader, Venerable Jinwoo, at Jogye Temple situated in downtown Seoul. A funeral ceremony will take place on Sunday morning.

His death has puzzled many, as he expressed a strong will to help spread Buddhism among young people in the future.

“Jaseung had been concerned about the status and role of Buddhism. He had a strong will to solve the problems facing the order, such as the declining population,” Venerable Jugyeong, head of the order’s legislative organisation, told Yonhap news agency.

Jaseung became a Buddhist monk at age 19 and served two terms as the head of the Jogye Order’s administrative headquarters from 2009-2017, a powerful post with authority to appoint and dismiss abbots at some 3,000 temples nationwide. The position also allowed him to control the financial affairs of the Order and temples.

Buddhist monks and nuns during an ordination ceremony at Jogye Temple in Seoul. Photo: YNA/DPA
    The quadrennial election for the post, popularly known as president of Buddhists, which controls both power and money, has been marred by allegations of vote buying and violence in the past.

Jaseung was credited with unifying the country’s strife-ridden Jogye Order under his leadership.

He introduced a rule that would see the Order receive the private assets of a monk following their death. He also increased retired monks’ pension funds and helped spread Korean Buddhism abroad.

But his critics pointed to his apparent hunger for power, accusing him of continuing to wield influence by appointing his followers to key posts even after concluding two consecutive terms as the president – an uncommon occurrence within Buddhist history that dates back centuries.

Buddhist monks place flowers at an altar for Venerable Jaseung. Photo: EPA-EFE

His eight-year leadership of the sect was also marred by numerous allegations.

In 2018, MBC TV’s investigative news programme, PD Notebook, claimed Jaseung and 15 other senior monks were involved in habitual gambling, and a whistle-blower – a monk named Jangju – was beaten by other monks. A few other senior monks were also accused of secretly keeping wives in breach of celibacy.

Jaseung also allegedly helped arrange a massive monks’ rally last year to protest against the former liberal government’s move to restrict the Order’s right to collect fees from hikers who pass by Buddhist temples located on hills and mountains.

The rally took place only two months before the tightly contested 2022 presidential election, which was won by a razor-thin margin by conservative Yoon Suk-yeol. Since then, he has allegedly remained close to Yoon.

Buddhism was for centuries prominent in South Korea before the country was open to Western influences in the late 19th century, including successful proselytising by Christian missionaries.

A 2021 Gallup Poll showed among the country’s 51.2 million people, Buddhists accounted for 16 per cent of the population, down from 22 per cent in 2014.

Protestants fell to 17 per cent from 21 per cent and Catholics edged down to six per cent from seven per cent during the same period, with non-believers growing from 47 per cent to 60 per cent in the cited period.

If you are having suicidal thoughts, or you know someone who is, help is available. For Hong Kong, dial +852 2896 0000 for The Samaritans or +852 2382 0000 for Suicide Prevention Services. In the US, call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline on +1 800 273 8255. For a list of other nations’ helplines, see this page.

CONVERSATIONS
    Park Chan-kyong

Park Chan-kyong is a journalist covering South Korean affairs for the South China Morning Post. He previously worked at the Agence France-Presse's Seoul bureau for 35 years. He studied political science at Korea University and economics at the Yonsei University Graduate School.
    Seems like a hectic tale...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Slightly OT

South Korean DJ NewJeansNim faces calls for ban in Malaysia after performing in monk robe at dance club
    Lawmaker Wee Ka Siong said NewJeansNim should be blocked form performing again at an entertainment venue in Kuala Lumpur to preserve religious harmony
    A group accused the DJ of ‘harming and disrespecting’ the Buddhist way of life with his act
    The Star

Published: 11:20am, 9 May 2024

Malaysian lawmaker Wee Ka Siong has chided a South Korean DJ for his recent performance in a Kuala Lumpur dance club while dressed as a monk.

Wee said that DJ NewJeansNim has angered the Buddhist community in Malaysia when he “disguised” himself as a Buddhist monk and performed at the club, which gave a wrong perception of Buddhist values and teachings.
    “I agree with the Young Buddhist Association Malaysia (YBAM) and Fo Guang Shan Malaysia which have called for action to be taken by the authorities to ban a DJ from Korea from performing again at a dance club in Kuala Lumpur,” he said in a statement.

The DJ had performed at the dance club on May 3 and was seen wearing a monk dressing gown and using Buddhist prayer items during his performance in a viral video.

“His controversial acts have hurt the feelings of the Buddhist community, which will celebrate Vesak Day (the festival commemorating the birth, enlightenment and death of the Buddha) in two weeks’ time,” the Malaysian Chinese Association president said, adding that the DJ was expected to perform in Malaysia again on May 21 – a day before Vesak Day.

“I appeal to the home affairs minister to instruct the immigration department, the police and the Puspal secretariat (the central committee for the application for filming and performance by foreign artistes) to prevent the entry of the DJ into Malaysia in order to respect the sanctity of Buddhism and preserve religious harmony in Malaysia.”

“If the DJ did not disguise as a Buddhist monk during his performance and incite religious sensitivity and cause unnecessary controversy, the Buddhist community will not have any intention to block the performance of any artists,” Wee added.

YBAM was reported saying that it has received complaints from devotees who believed that the DJ had “harmed and disrespected” the Buddhist way of life with his performance.
    Note to self - refrain from wearing my robes whilst DJing in Malaysia.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on NewJeansNim (aka Youn Sung-ho)

Make Buddhism cool again: South Korea's controversial DJ 'monk'
    Seoul (AFP) – With a shaved head and flowing monk robes, a South Korean DJ chants traditional Buddhist scripture mixed with Gen-Z life advice over a thumping EDM beat, as the crowd goes wild.

Issued on: 14/05/2024 - 12:55
    Modified: 14/05/2024 - 12:53
    4 min

A senior monk bestowed upon Youn the monk name NewJeansNim, under which the 47-year-old now performs © Jung Yeon-je / AFP

Meet Youn Sung-ho, a comedian-turned-musician whose viral Buddhism-infused sets are credited with reviving the religion's popularity among young South Koreans, even as his performances have ruffled feathers regionally, including triggering police reports in Malaysia.

In South Korea's Zen Buddhist tradition, which holds that the religion's truth transcends the physical, Youn has been welcomed with open arms by senior clergy, who see him as a means to engage with young people.

A senior monk even bestowed upon Youn the monk name NewJeansNim, under which the 47-year-old, who is not ordained, now performs.

The moniker is a mash-up of "Seunim", a respectful Korean title for Buddhist monks and other devotional words -- with no connection to K-pop girl group NewJeans.

"Pain! Because I don't get a raise. Pain! Because Monday comes too quickly," NewJeansNim chants on stage as hundreds of mostly young Korean revellers dance, waving their hands in sync.

Youn Sung-ho's viral Buddhism-infused sets are credited with reviving the religion's popularity among young South Koreans © Jung Yeon-je / AFP

"This too shall pass! We will overcome!" he adds, citing classic Buddhist tenants, as the beat drops at an electronic dance music (EDM) event marking a lantern festival for Buddha's birthday, which falls on Wednesday.

Footage of his quirky, high-energy performances has gone viral, with striking visuals of a be-robed, shaven-headed Youn dancing, singing and spinning turntables.

"Never did I expect this reaction. It's overwhelming," Youn told AFP ahead of his performance in Seoul at the weekend.

He says he comes by his Buddhist DJ identity honestly.

"My mother was a Buddhist and I also went to temples from a young age so Buddhism comes naturally to me."

And his motivational lyrics are "just what I said to myself last year when I had no work and was really struggling -- good days do come".

Malaysia ban?

For many South Koreans, his words have resonated.

For many South Koreans, his words have resonated © Jung Yeon-je / AFP

"His messages provide comfort to those in their twenties and thirties who are burnt out and feel hopeless," says Kang Min-ji, a 26-year-old, who said they did not have any interest in Buddhism before watching NewJeansNim.

"I always thought Buddhism was conservative until I saw his DJ performances," she added.

But in neighbouring Malaysia, a Muslim-majority country with a significant Buddhist minority, where NewJeansNim performed in early May, a second gig planned for later this month was cancelled after his performance offended local Buddhists.

"There have been police reports lodged against DJ NewJeansNim's performance in Malaysia by Buddhist societies and individuals," Eow Shiang Yen, secretary-general of the Young Buddhist Association of Malaysia, told AFP.

"The way he chooses to perform and his dress is not appropriate to Buddhist beliefs and practices," he said, adding: "We do not want others to misinterpret Buddhist practices."

One Malaysian lawmaker has said NewJeansNim should not be allowed to perform in Kuala Lumpur using the trappings of Buddhism.

Buddhism for all

But in South Korea, the president of the country's largest Buddhist sect, the Jogye Order, has urged NewJeansNim to continue, seeing the DJ as a means of attracting new, younger followers.

As in many advanced economies, religious interest has dwindled along with South Korea's population © Jung Yeon-je / AFP

"Young people think that Buddhism is difficult and old," the Venerable Jinwoo Seunim has said.

"In order to break this, it is better not to be too bound by tradition," he added.

As in many advanced economies, religious interest has dwindled along with South Korea's population, official statistics show, and "Buddhism is the religion that is suffering the most," said Ja-hong Seunim, a 33-year-old monk.

"We are not in a position to stop anyone from spreading Buddhism to young people," he told AFP.

The non-traditional approach could also be seen at the International Buddhism Expo this year in Seoul, when attendees could pray with an AI Buddha, buy scripture clothing and eat Buddha-shaped chocolates. NewJeansNim played a set for the grand finale.

Attendance was up threefold from last year, with 80 percent of attendees in their twenties or thirties, event organisers said.

"There are definitely more Buddhist events for young people to enjoy, and basically they are 'hip' now," Choi Kyung-yoon, a 28-year-old who lives in Seoul, told AFP.

NewJeansNim himself downplays his contribution to making Buddhism cool again in South Korea.

"I didn't do anything really," he told AFP.

"The monks are very open-minded, and I am just flowing with them."
    This guy's gonna need his own indie thread soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips