- non descript style or lineage
    - hodge podge of styles
    - fixation on ranking
    - fixation on uniform
    - price list for belt tests
    - children with black belts
    - unfit and out of shape instructors
    - strong focus on fees, dues and promoted items

LOL - sounds like every college and university out there.

but you didn't mention anything about skill of the student. Is that individuals ranking/certification/diploma worth anything in the real world.

and just because a style is old doesn't make their teachings applicable today or even if they principles/theories are sound it doesn't guarantee the quality or skill of an individual training this particular style.

People are overly focused on "style" and not the "Individual teacher". Research shows that schools (when they were public) never advertised a paticular "style" you trained because of the "individual teaching" their achievements etc. is what brought them to our attention.

Now its just alot of talk - especially with so many venues for an individual to show their skills.

also its kind of a non-productive question as most of the individuals commenting here aren't professional martial arts teachers.

They don't run schools or even teach at all.

Hey I think I'm filling in for David Ross during his vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    also its kind of a non-productive question as most of the individuals commenting here aren't professional martial arts teachers.

They don't run schools or even teach at all.

Hey I think I'm filling in for David Ross during his vacation.
    How so. I think most that have answered do teach either professionally or as their passion or at least their concern.

When you are training fighters and sending them to venues you can make claims of fitting into Ross's shoes.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

uh I was going to comment more but just saw video clips of DJ doing stick and knives, well I won't waste my time.

As for taking david's place in the aspect of naysayer, atagonist. Actually he's a good coach and does produce some good fighters but there's the other side of him eh.

uh I was going to comment more but just saw video clips of DJ doing stick and knives, well I won't waste my time.

As for taking david's place in the aspect of naysayer, atagonist. Actually he's a good coach and does produce some good fighters but there's the other side of him eh.
    Yeah yeah, why not show us yours eric? You got anything?
    Or you looking to just get angry at someone today?
    You and Ross have ZERO in common. For one thing, Dave can spell antagonist.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LOL - sounds like every college and university out there.
    How so? College and University has definite paths and curriculum with progression in the study built in.
    but you didn't mention anything about skill of the student. Is that individuals ranking/certification/diploma worth anything in the real world.
    Skill of the student... How is that determined without crossing hands? Either friendly or otherwise?
    and just because a style is old doesn't make their teachings applicable today or even if they principles/theories are sound it doesn't guarantee the quality or skill of an individual training this particular style.
    There is never a guarantee. I am referring to what are markers of a school that I would consider a mckwoon. Or fast food type martial arts school.
    People are overly focused on "style" and not the "Individual teacher". Research shows that schools (when they were public) never advertised a paticular "style" you trained because of the "individual teaching" their achievements etc. is what brought them to our attention.
    Teachers hail from schools. Which great teachers f martial arts hail from the void? I can't think of any and any worth their weight are from systems that are established.
    Now its just alot of talk - especially with so many venues for an individual to show their skills.
    So, How do you identify a dodgy or sketchy martial arts club? I stated my criteria, what's yours?
    Kung Fu is good for you.