Thread: How effective would these styles be in a modern day street environment?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    The "style doesn't matter" philosophy is BS. It is the person "blah, blah, blah" is BS. You need the right tool for the right job. A hammer will break up the dirt, but a shovel will dig a hole faster and more efficiently
    And sometimes you have to break up the dirt before you shovel it.

I think that body type and aptitude do matter to a point. While I agree that a good style will produce results for any serious student, some styles do suit some people better than others. That isn't to say that some styles aren't garbage while others are relatively legit, just that if you recognize your strengths and limitations you can find legit styles that may suit you better than others. Give you that extra lil edge in your development.

For example, I wrestled in HS, moved into catch as catch can and then to BJJ. I was a slightly better than average wrestler, a decent catch wrestler, but I really excelled at BJJ because I'm lanky and flexible. It just worked for me. I could have worked harder on the other two and made progress, but I found BJJ played to my natural strengths.
    Last edited by Syn7; 05-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.