Thread: Sparring without instructor

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You don't learn in sparring.
    I beg to differ.
    If you don't train hip throw, there is no way that you will be able to use your hip throw successfully in sparring.
    You don't learn everything from sparring but you won't finish learning the hip throw until you ditch the compliant drills.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I beg to differ.

You don't learn everything from sparring but you won't finish learning the hip throw until you ditch the compliant drills.
    I agree with YKW's basic point. You don't change up your game during full sparring against equals too much, and therefore have a very limited window to learn WHILE sparring, but much to learn from post session.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I beg to differ.

If you define "learning" as "developing" + "testing", then I agree with you there.

You may learn what mistake that you have made in sparring but you may not learn how to fix it. For example, if you just move back from your opponent's punches, you may never learn how to move yourself to be outside of your opponent's striking path. Where will you be able to learn that? In your class of course.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument