Thread: Archery

Hybrid View

I tried to add this article off but can't but you can Google it. Also look into Bernard cornwells research sources. I tend to be in alignment with his data records that he shares for his historical fiction novel about the English longbow

THE ARCHER’S TALE: AN EXAMINATION OF ENGLISH ARCHERS
    DURING THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR AND THEIR

IMPACT ON WARFARE AND SOCIETY

A thesis presented to the Faculty of the U.S. Army
    Command and General Staff College in partial
    fulfillment of the requirements for the
    degree
    MASTER OF MILITARY ART AND SCIENCE
    Military History
    by
    STEPHEN S. TALIAFERRO, MAJOR, U.S. ARMY
    B.A., University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 2003
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I tried to add this article off but can't but you can Google it. Also look into Bernard cornwells research sources. I tend to be in alignment with his data records that he shares for his historical fiction novel about the English longbow

THE ARCHER’S TALE: AN EXAMINATION OF ENGLISH ARCHERS
    DURING THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR AND THEIR

IMPACT ON WARFARE AND SOCIETY

A thesis presented to the Faculty of the U.S. Army
    Command and General Staff College in partial
    fulfillment of the requirements for the
    degree
    MASTER OF MILITARY ART AND SCIENCE
    Military History
    by
    STEPHEN S. TALIAFERRO, MAJOR, U.S. ARMY
    B.A., University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 2003

Thanks , I did not see this post. Found the Mil Doc-

In the nineteenth and twentieth century many historians posited the theory of the
    “short bow” to explain the seemingly sudden reliance the English placed on archers in the fourteenth century.4 According to the theory, the longbow was a relatively new
    technological development originating in Wales. The longbow was incorporated into
    English formations during the reign of Edward I (1272 to 1307) in the late thirteenth
    century after his extensive campaigns in Wales. The bows used in western medieval
    warfare before this time were short bows drawn only to the chest as opposed to the
    4 For more on the original theory of the rise of the longbow see Charles Oman, The Art of War in the Middle Ages (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1986), 116122; John Edward Morris, The Welsh Wars of Edward I (Oxford: Clarenden Press, 1901), 100-103.
    longbow which is drawn to the ear. These short bows were thought to be largely ineffective against even lightly armored men.5

Inside that doc one will also find Horse Archers were the larger Bowman unit. Now, were they pulling 100 pound bows? Horse Archers can quickly become foot archers. Horses are primary targets then. What do Horsemen do ? How can they apply a smaller lighter bow effectively? Would they be using 100+ bows up close?

But it comes back to the heavy longbow. The KING on the field and it was not. And I still do not believe the whole of those guys were using 100+ bows just because some got found on the Rose.

Also, Lars proved his little toy 35 can penetrate chain. Most guys wore, chain.

As to Cormwells book, Ill see if I can find it online otherwise it is doubtful I will bother going to a library to obtain it. So were the previous historians correct or the later rethink ?

But now one see's. This historian believes this. Another that. It was likely unable to penetrate even the lightest of armour yet. Lars proved I can do it rather easily. Not all Longbows are MANBOWS, LOL. I side with the shortbows were on the battlefield. I believe much easier to train guys to be effective with lighterbows than Heavy.

I will of course have to read this DOC fully when I have more time.

Thank you for the information.

Also, that DOC jogged my memory. Some may enjoy this