Well, Ok, I can't argue this. However, I gave one example of the use of that technique. Of course you can use any technique in a variety of ways. Heck, after a while you forget all techniques anyway. They are really just tools to teach principals and concepts.

In the example I submitted, the concepts are to deflect and acquire incoming force (Defense), then uproot the opponent, disassemble structural alignment, and use compression to their skeletal system to make them fall...all pretty much simultaneously.

There are a variety of angles and positions one can take, that would accomplish this, regardless of what the incoming force was. As an example, I slipped a side kick once, caught it in the crook of my right arm. I shuffled in, in horse stance and fed my elbow over their collar bone and compressed it down. As he went down, that hand just kind of went onto the hero posture, only my fist was not on my knee. It was open on their shoulder at the conclusion. The opponents shoulder, on the other hand was exactly over my knee in between that, and the palm of my hand.

So other than the modification of using an open palm, it was the same identical move as I described above. I just used it in a totally different circumstance, with a completely different line of force.

A third application
Catch the same kick I did above, only with the opposite arm, step 90 degrees left, then in on a 45. Shuffle in in horse so you lift them by the perineum, and them using your fist shove down in the soft area above the groin.

They fall back into the empty place, and your fist ends up right above the knee, with your arm up. Same posture, just a mirror image of it.

These are 3 separate apps, for the same technique. All of which I have pulled off in real time at some point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
let me clarify this in three paragraphs:

the original Chinese creators themselves have said that every movement in their art is both attack and defense. this means they have intended the movements to act at more than just one situation, for different applications. another thing, if you're going to view the techniques in this way, then you need an ocean of movements, one movement for every applications. no, this is not a proper view. every technique, you consider a Qinna technique for example, can have various variations under various conditions. here let's consider an example:

here, for example, you consider the simplest movement in all the Shaolin forms, the 'Buddhist salute,' join the palms in front of chest and bow. even this simplest movement can be perfectly used for numerous bone-breaking applications. like when the opponent has grasped your clothing in the chest, you can do this, putting your arms on his wrists and pushing his palms to your chest (as he himself is doing it now), and bow forward, his wrists are injured. then do you have to do this movement with the palms in touch like the Buddhist salute? no, you can interlock the fingers to empower your trap, you can do it with the arms interlocked, with the palms at the bicep of the other arm, like we do it while standing every day. and many other such ways. the last one, the arms interlocked seems much different from the original Buddhist salute pose, is this really a different application? all of these are variations of the 5th technique at min 11:40 in this video of elementary 32 Qinna's of Shaolin. it can also be equally used when the opponent has grabbed you with a single hand. then what will you do? it's better to instead of simply putting your palms together, you grab his hand between your joined palms, like in the 6th technique in the same 32 methods of Qinna video. the Buddhist salute perfectly matches both these, and any other variation of such kind. beside these, that Buddhist salute also 'perfectly' matches the 32th Qinna technique, at 54:50 of this video. though each of these applications demands a totally different forcing, it is in perfect matching with all of them. and this is because of an important yet simple point, that the same movement can be done, in principle, with infinite forcing ways. so this Buddhist salute, as just one movement that has the potential of doing those applications, can likewise be potentially used for many other applications. besides this, there may be many other movements that can be used for the same kinds of forcing, and so have the potential of doing these same applications.

all such arguments come from a common misunderstanding, i'll explain it in detail. the problem is that unlike what is publicly thought, in the major Chinese martial arts, like SongShan Shaolin, most the times, we don't deduce applications from the forms movements, but we first have the combat techniques sets, and then later learn/find out which movements in the forms have the potential of doing which and which applications. (i'll explain this in much detail in another post.) so when we analyze a specific movement in a form, like that 'sit on mountain (hero on horse)' movement you mentioned, besides the blocking and other applications that can be directly deduced from the movement itself, it has the potential of being used for, for example, n number out of the R qinna, block, take down, etc, applications we've learned. this way, one may be able of doing at least 10 or more qinna and much much more other applications with the same sit on mountain movement you mentioned above, like the case of the Buddhist salute i mentioned above.