Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanda/Sanshou

I understand why you like your teacher. It's sounds like a great system.

But when Matt Hughes picks up a 180 lb guy, carries him across the mat, and then slams him on his head, that seems like usable power to me.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    You guys have lost before you even show up. Or, won't show up because you have already lost.
    The reason he's Matt Hughes is because he wasn't scared of the name that was above him when he was a nobody. Everybody starts off as a nobody. It's what you do to become somebody.

Now I can't wait to go shake this man's hand.

Believe me. I know who I am. I'm a young man with a fight next weekend and no one in my corner .... literally. Me, my camera, mouthpiece, headgear, shin guard and cup. That's my camp.
    the reason he is who he is, is because he trained and trains hard, i think he competed because he felt he was a nobody but because he has a competive spirit. again he became a somebody by training hard, proper conditioning and skills.

are you going to challenge him? if you do good luck, not because he is going to beat you but because security is going to drag you away.

youre going to be by yourself, your master and friends arent you going to in your corner, how come?
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

My master has never been in my corner before because I've never had his approval to go out and fight. That might have changed recently, but I actually wouldn't want him here for this fight. I don't think it's going to be pretty and I don't want to involve him in anyway. Next year, when I start cage fighting, I will need him to be in my corner.

The usual suspects that I bring to my fights can't make it or haven't committed to go. We'll see what happens. But I just had some folks contact me for a Throwdown this Sunday, one fo them being that Grapplers Quest Champ from Philly who just got back from Brazil ... that has just taken precedence over everything. Like 4 or 5 guys have expressed interest.

I know the general concensus is that these guys are always bums, but besides the guy from Philly, I don't know anything about the others. So I'll train tonight with my master, teach my students tomorrow morning, then veg out and try to stay calm and focused.

Ray, You're going to do a throw down the week before you fight?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

You cannot beat a amateur fighter with less than 2 years training, but you can beat Matt Hughes, a world class athlete, highly skilled martial artist and professional fighter...

This thread is enlightening. It speaks volumes.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

I'm going to post a pic from meeting them just now on Monday and then you tell me if he looks like a man that can over power me. They were both nice guys. I felt like I could take Matt Hughes .... just had that feeling when I laid eyes on him. Hard to say, it's that feeling of relief when you see the guy you're fighting and you're like, "OK, just don't do something stupid and ruin this."

He's not big at all. Or at least wasn't there. But wait till Monday.

As far as the amatuer. I gassed but he didn't land a blow on me. I've said that several times and believe me if he did, I'm sure there's a few guys here who would be happy to post the still of it.

There is a still from that fight though that they just happened to pic use in a flyer. I'm on the bottom, controlling the big guy up top and below while driving him out.

But the real thing is, past is past. Who I am today is what matters. I became a new man in Jan.

I'm sorry if I won't feel as small as you want me to feel.

you are dilerious and delusional seriously.

size means nothing, you have said it yourself, when you say you beat guys that 250 + lbs.

but keep your threads coming makes me laugh when i m down
    LOL

anyone can say i cant take on any fighter, thats why alot of fighters KOTF people at bars, because of that same attitude, oh he doesnt look tough, let me call him out and next thing you know, the guy is out cold. its all ego talk. ok, if you see tyson would you want to fight him, he is small like 5'5. 5'6.

heres something about matt hughes, he beat joe riggs, one of the strongest middle weights in the UFC, hardest punch and strongest guy. matt slammed him and caught him in a key lock, this guy riggs walked once at 300lbs and still has that power of a 300lber . so you tell me, if you couldve taken him, if so why not call him out?
    Last edited by Face2Fist; 12-02-2005 at 01:43 PM.
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

But you're making this man into something other than flesh and bone. In fact, he's smaller than me and not a striker. I know he's a great wrestler. I have a friend Allen who was Marc Kerrs team mate in college. 215lbs, very skilled. I know guys who train with Gracie. Skill is skill.
    you're missing my point, man. It's not about being afraid to fight him. It's about his status as one of the top fighters in his sport. What good reason would he have to fight an unknown? That wouldn't happen.

This messageboard is a terrible example of martial ettiquet and thinking. Think about it. What if an outsider were to come here. He'd think only the big, young conditioned could beat the older, older, less conditioned. That the guy who is 12-5 automatically wins over the guy who is 9-7.

Where is the spirit?
    When it comes to the ring, he'd be correct, as far as better conditioning goes. The record doesn't mean much. perfect example was the last fight - you were older and lesser conditioned. That's why you don't see a lot of older people in the sport. The ones that are around train like he11 to stay there. That's really not an issue of spirit at all.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Technique and power. That's what every style says it supplies but I don't think that is always the case. Usuable technique. Usable power. I'm not sure bench pressing is usable power for figthing. When do you get uqually balanced weight resisting ----><------- this way in a fight.

But I degress.

think of grappling situations...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

you say this...

I'm going to post a pic from meeting them just now on Monday and then you tell me if he looks like a man that can over power me. They were both nice guys. I felt like I could take Matt Hughes .... just had that feeling when I laid eyes on him. Hard to say, it's that feeling of relief when you see the guy you're fighting and you're like, "OK, just don't do something stupid and ruin this."
    then you say...

As far as the amatuer. I gassed but he didn't land a blow on me. I've said that several times and believe me if he did, I'm sure there's a few guys here who would be happy to post the still of it.
    You don't think you would gas against hughes? you don't think a top level wrestler could take you down? Regardless, try this - send your info in and try to get on an upcoming season of the ultimate fighter. That would be GREAT exposure for your style and give you a chance to show the world this different, revolutionary technique you speak of. At the same time, you will be earning the right to fight any big name guy that you think you can take. Seriously, think about it.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I'm not a fighter by any stretch of the imagination but one thing I do know is that gassing is the same as losing. I gassed during a belt test and got some ribs cracked because I couldn't defend. Boxing, same thing. I see on TUF when someone gasses they are soon getting pounded. If you are so gassed that you can't fight then you are at the mercy of the other fighter. In other words you lose.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Rogue, you're right. That fight was 2 years ago. Let's hold comments and see what happens this Sat.

Anyway, here's the Matt Hughes pic I promised.

so is it sanda or sanshou

Just want to check with you guys, is the term now officially sanshou or sanda? For a while, I been telling sanda is the term for professional and sanshou for amateur. Now I am hearing conflicting arguments from 2 of my coaches that it sanda or sanshou is the correct term and the other has been removed. So which is the officially correct term?

San Shou is on a lei tai, San Da is in a ring.

San Shou = Free Hand
    San Da = Free Fighting

Sanshou is the technique used in Sanda. However here in the US the meaning has become interchangeable.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.