Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The irrationality of gloved sparring

People that have never hit anybody Never ever hurt their hands if and when they actually hit somebody.

Great logic!

And now a word from our sponsor:

These are inexpensive and don't hinder your hands too much.

These cost a little more, but again don't hinder

These offer a bit more protection, but they'll hinder a bit

These and These cost a little more and they take more courage to use, but they'll give you a margin of safety and almost no hand restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    And now a word from our sponsor:

These are inexpensive and don't hinder your hands too much.

These cost a little more, but again don't hinder

These offer a bit more protection, but they'll hinder a bit

These and These cost a little more and they take more courage to use, but they'll give you a margin of safety and almost no hand restriction.
    I have students buy their own choice based off what i mentioned earlier. the first link for striking in drills, but the stitching that divides the fingers tends to break easily.
    A better quality light glove without too much wrist wrapping is good for power striking in lat Sao Jik chun drills.

The first ones on this one have a palm bar like a bag glove, so they can't be used. The light grappling gloves are good, and they keep Gene employed. And like k gledhill said, quality matters - so always measure quality with price.

Open palm style are perfect.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-27-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    True - but these don't pay Gene's bills and keep the forum open.

True - but these don't pay Gene's bills and keep the forum open.
    Aha ! So follow genes links.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Gloves change the way you hit. Why do people value gloved sparring so much when it is impossible to fight that way ungloved?

Gloved sparring is worthless because:

a) it encourages you to hit in a way that will mean you break your hand on the first or second punch, unless you are a girl or a small child

b) it trains false reactions, in both the puncher and punchee, that only hold when gloves are worn

c) it instills dangerous false confidence based on a model that is not close to reality. Gloved sparring is in some ways the opposite of Kano's genius in revolutionising grappling with randori. Randori removes the dangerous techniques while allowing realistic grappling training with full resistance. Gloved sparring actually accentuates the dangerous techniques while providing a completely false framework of action and reaction.

discuss
    In what way does gloved sparring create false reactions? With the gloves on, you can actually make contact, from light to full-on. It's actually the striker's *equivalent* of Kano's judo randori, not its opposite. Of course, there are some ways of striking with gloves on that can't be perfectly replicated bare-handed, but gloved sparring is still the most realistic way to train with contact. Plus, you can still condition your hands to strike without gloves as well. But to say that gloved sparring isn't close to reality is in itself far from reality.

Have you ever sparred with a boxer?

I've known/seen guys with varying degrees of boxing experience who fought very effectively on the street without gloves on, and without breaking their hands. Clearly, they trained with gloves, and clearly it wasn't worthless for them.

Pros and Cons

There are positives and negatives of both gloved and non-gloved types of sparring. Bear in mind, though, that even non-gloved sparring is still "sparring." The only truly realistic fight practice is real fighting. Since that isn't practical for most people we do the best we can to work the skills with drills including various forms of sparring.

I agree. Is there a reason one can't do both? Kyokushin style sparring ungloved with punches only below the neck is great sometimes, but, at least for me, not always.
    Last edited by madhusudan; 05-22-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I think you or someone else linked me these gloves before. Do you know what the model name/make of the glove is? I've been trying to find it but have had no luck.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    I think you or someone else linked me these gloves before. Do you know what the model name/make of the glove is? I've been trying to find it but have had no luck.
    eBay everlast 6oz mma glove.

Even though I've never been to a boxing gym, I know it's so easy and even a cave man can do it, my cousin told me so. It's just body-level, muscle stuff. One strike from my monkey beak and it's LIGHTS OUT YOU JOCK. HA HA HA.

Been doing monkey beak wing chun for six months now and gonna open up my own school soon to spread the wisdom.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Some interesting insight leading to more body blows with bare hands for protection from hand injury. The gloves led to more exciting ; ) head shots with less chance of injury. Reducing bare knuckle fights from 75 ! Rounds to today's level of watchable tv.
    http://guyspeed.com/7-things-you-sho...nuckle-boxing/