Thread: Skiptrace

Hybrid View

ttt 4 Fan Bingbing

She was just named the 4th highest paid actresses in the world by Forbes.
    #1: J-Law, #2: Scar Jo, #3 Melissa McCarthy...and #4:
    The World's Highest-Paid Actresses 2015
    5 of 19

4. Bingbing Fan

$21 million

The only non-American on the international ranking is Bingbing Fan, who joins the highest-paid thanks to roles in movies such as The White-Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom and endorsements with Chopard and L'Oreal. She is likely best-known to U.S. cinema-goers for her role in X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Photo: Scott Barbour/Getty Images
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Stunt accident

I thought Jackie was using stunt doubles nowadays.

Wednesday, 11 November 2015 11:41
    Jackie Chan ALMOST KILLED after water scene goes wrong

Jackie Chan and Fan Bingbing are the main leads of action movie 'Skiptrace'.

Filming took place at seven locations in three countries.

61-year-old Jackie, who is used to filming action scenes personally, did not use any stunt doubles during filming.

According to Asian E-News Portal, Jackie revealed that he was almost killed during one of the scenes in China.

"I almost died in Guangxi," quipped the action star.

In the scene, Jackie was drifting in a river around 15 metres deep. The water body was full of uneven stones.

During filming, Jackie got caught in the river and kept struggling in the water. He tried to get onto a boat but failed.

Recalled the actor:

"I was in a state of panic and very scared."

Fortunately, Jackie managed to get out of danger thereafter.

Fan Bingbing, who also had several dangerous scenes in the film, also admitted that the river scene was the most unforgettable. -Lollipop
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Premieres xmas eve

It's Jackie, Johnny and Bingbing versus Donnie and Iron Mike this xmas.

Action comedy Skiptrace to be premiered on Christmas Eve
    2015-11-09 16:45 chinadaily.com.cn Editor: Wang Fan

Poster of Skiptrace. (Photo provided to China Daily)

Skiptrace, an action comedy starring Jackie Chan and Fan Bingbing, will be premiered in China on Christmas Eve.

Renny Harlin, best known for Die Hard 2 (1990), is director of the film produced by China and the United States. The movie is about a Hong Kong police officer's adventures.

The three-month filming of the movie was done in Russia, Mongolia, Macao and the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region. The film cost 300 million yuan ($47 million).

The movie will be released in China in the 2-D, 3-D, and China Giant Screen formats.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pushed back to February

Looks like both Jackie and Donnie backed off of their release dates. Bummer - this was the opening paragraphs in my Chollywood Rising column for our next issue, and it's already at press.

China’s December Box Office Blackout Pics: Action, Fantasy & Mike Tyson? – Video
    by Nancy Tartaglione
    December 9, 2015 3:03am

UPDATE: I have just been informed that Ip Man 3 (see below) has had its release pushed back and is no longer coming out in December. There is currently no mainland date.

Point Break got in under the wire last Friday to become the final Hollywood movie of 2015 to release in the Middle Kingdom. Now that the December blackout period is in full swing, no further studio pics will see the inside of a PROC multiplex until January. But there’s still a little Hollywood in the mix — by way of Hong Kong. Action threequel Ip Man 3 travels to the mainland on December 31 and sees Mike Tyson face off with superstar martial artist Donnie Yen. The movies that will drive box office earlier in the month are a packed slate of action, fantasy and laughs.

Domestic Chinese films dominated 2014 with 54.5% of the market. As November closed this year, they were at 59%. That will go up now. Titles we’ll be talking about through the end of the year include Shi Fu/The Master, Mojin – The Lost Legend and Mr Six. See trailers above and below. (Jackie Chan/Johnny Knoxville action buddy comedy, Skiptrace, was originally due for a December release but has been pushed to February.)
    Related threads
    Shi Fu/The Master
    Mojin – The Lost Legend
    Ip Man 3
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

new trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2016 Q3 U.S. release

Berlin: Jackie Chan-Johnny Knoxville Action Comedy ‘Skiptrace’ Nabbed by Saban

FEBRUARY 11, 2016 | 11:11AM PT
    Carole Horst

Saban Films has picked up the U.S. distribution rights to “Skiptrace,” the action comedy starring Jackie Chan, Johnny Knoxville and Fan Bingbing, directed by Renny Harlin.

Saban will release the film in theaters during Q3 this year. Pic was produced by Talent Intl. Films and Dasym Media along with Jackie Chan, Esmond Ren, Charlie Coker, Damien Saccani and David Gerson. The film was co-financed and co-presented by Shanghai New Culture Media Group, Talent Intl. and Dasym Media. Bloom is handling international sales.

Saban Films president Bill Bromiley and Ness Saban negotiated the deal on behalf of Saban Films and WME represented the filmmakers.

Upcoming titles in the Saban Films slate include Tom Tykwer’s “A Hologram for the King,” starring Tom Hanks, where Saban will partner with Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions on the theatrical release; Alex and Ben Brewer’s “The Trust,” starring Nicolas Cage and Elijah Wood; “I Am Wrath,” with John Travolta; “USS Indianapolis,” starring Nicolas Cage; and Bob Nelson’s directorial debut, “The Confirmation,” starring Clive Owen, Maria Bello, Patton Oswalt and Jaeden Lieberher.
    Surely some forum member will be able to review this before then.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

7/22

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Seen!

I'll post a review later today. It'll be the first forum review, unless anyone can beat me to it.

Director Renny Harlin on Why He Left Hollywood for China
    BY YOMYOMF STAFF 09/05/2016

(DIRECTV / GETTY IMAGE)

SKIPTRACE, the new Chinese movie starring the oddball pairing of martial arts legend Jackie Chan and *******’ Johnny Knoxville, opens in limited release and on VOD this week. The film’s director, Renny Harlin, was one of Hollywood’s most successful action directors in the late 1980s and 1990s when he gave the world films like DIE HARD 2, CLIFFHANGER, DEEP BLUE SEA and, yes, even THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE.

But now, Harlin has been living and working in Beijing for the past few years where he says he has greater “creative freedom” and talked to Uproxx about his new film and what it’s like making films in China. Here are some highlight from his interview:

THE ORIGINS OF SKIPTRACE
    This movie started 15 years ago. Jackie’s idea. Jackie had this dream of making a movie that he called his love letter to China. He wanted to show the Chinese audience and the international audience that China is not exactly what you expect and not the traditional stuff that people think China is. Certainly that it’s versatile and different. That’s how it started and then when I came on board as an outsider from America I said, “Okay with all these places and locations how we can tell the story.” It was never dictated by the producers or the financiers but it was really Jackie and me. Jackie educating me about China and me as an outsider saying what I thought that would be cool for an international audience to see.

ON JACKIE CHAN STILL DOING HIS OWN STUNTS AT AGE 62
    It’s a balancing act because he will do anything and he comes up with the craziest ideas. I have to make sure that, because when Jackie was doing his Hong Kong movies a couple of decades ago or 30 years ago, they could do anything. And if you break your leg or arm or something, then you just take a couple of months off, then you come back and keep shooting. It was the Wild, Wild East. Now when we are making a Hollywood-meets-China kind of a movie, you have a budget and you have a schedule and you have to stick to it.

I had to do everything I could to keep him safe. He still got banged up and hurt himself a few times doing the shooting but, when you’re getting older you’re not quite as flexible and able as you were when you were young. I had to run that balance of how we get the audience filled with most of Jackie Chan stuff, but don’t put him in situations where he’s going to get hurt. He’ll do anything, so it was up to me trying to hold him back.

ON THE DRAWBACKS OF MAKING A FILM IN CHINA
    Everybody in Hollywood, they want to come to China, they want to get the money that is here and throw around these ideas of co-productions and let’s work together and let’s make Chinese movies that appeal to the Western audiences, and let’s make Hollywood movies that appeal to the Chinese audience. Let’s put American movie stars in Chinese movies and let’s put Chinese actors in Hollywood movies. But it’s easier said than done.

I think that there’s going to be a lot of disappointment where it doesn’t work, because Hollywood doesn’t understand the Chinese culture. Chinese financiers and producers, both of those want to make Chinese movies that would appeal to the Western audience but there’s still a long way to go and lot of lessons to be leaned. I would say I’ve now lived in China for two and half years. I’m really immersing myself in this culture and understanding, trying to understand how it works and how this culture is good benefit for me and working together. But it has to be a natural fit.

You can’t just take a Hollywood script and change the name to Chinese guy and say okay great now we have a great Chinese movie. You have to really understand how you can integrate these elements and make them work in an organic way. That’s the biggest challenge and I think it’s going to take some time for that to work out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review!

Okay, y'all had your chance. Here be my review.

This is so Jackie millennium, as in a throwback to Jackie's Hollywood buddy flicks, but Knoxville is no Owen Wilson, not even a Chris Tucker, so there's no chemistry. Originally Seann William Scott was cast - he might've carried it - or someone like Neil Patrick Harris. All Knoxville did was make testicle jokes. srsly. He's got a fixation. You could easily redeem this film when watching it with your buddies by turning it into a drinking game: take a shot every time there's a testicle joke (shots to the testicles count - each one counts as a shot). The locations are great - exotic China. The singing jokes will be lost on U.S. audiences because non-sinophiles won't recognize the songs. Fan Bingbing & Eric Tsang are good (bit of a spoiler there but anyone who reads opening credits will know why). Most of the trailer reveals are in the first half hour, but still, this is very predictable. Not a single mcguffin was unforeseen. The plot is choppy and absurd, as if director Harlin was trying lots of formulas but couldn't decide which to stick with, such as a late narration from Knoxville when his character is introduced that stops for a while, then picks up again for a later scene, and then is completely abandoned.

Jackie can still move, and still gets hurt in NGs, but he's not doing big stunts or long single shots for this one (what do you want at 62?) Actually Eve Torres delivers the best fights. But still, good to see Jackie fight again.

The NG of the ****ting horse was amusing, just to hear Jackie say '****ting' as he complains about it just like he complains about cell phones ringing in other NG.

This got a very limited theatrical last weekend - only one SF Bay Area theater and we're a major market for Chinese films - so I watched this via iTunes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Okay, y'all had your chance. Here be my review.

This is so Jackie millennium, as in a throwback to Jackie's Hollywood buddy flicks, but Knoxville is no Owen Wilson, not even a Chris Tucker, so there's no chemistry. Originally Seann William Scott was cast - he might've carried it - or someone like Neil Patrick Harris. All Knoxville did was make testicle jokes. srsly. He's got a fixation. You could easily redeem this film when watching it with your buddies by turning it into a drinking game: take a shot every time there's a testicle joke (shots to the testicles count - each one counts as a shot).
    Obviously due to Johnny Knoxville having 'broken his pen!s" (torn his urethra) several years ago.

Although I'm not thrilled by Jackie's recent films, I would have considered watching this, if for no other reason than to see how Eve Torres fights in a JC film. But Knoxville's presence ruins any desire for me to see the movie. How anyone would consider him worthy to even be in the same movie as JC is a mystery to me.

The Real Reasons We Don't Hear From Johnny Knoxville Anymore

Notably, Skiptrace isn't mentioned at all in this Looper vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Obviously due to Johnny Knoxville having 'broken his pen!s" (torn his urethra) several years ago.

Although I'm not thrilled by Jackie's recent films, I would have considered watching this, if for no other reason than to see how Eve Torres fights in a JC film. But Knoxville's presence ruins any desire for me to see the movie. How anyone would consider him worthy to even be in the same movie as JC is a mystery to me.
    Several people told me about Knoxville's broken ***** after I made the review, but good on you Jimbo for posting it here. The Looper vid explains that, and also why Harlin might have thought Knoxville had more celebrity status in China for this JC film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips