Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fighting should be the byproduct not the goal

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    After you have killed 10,000 guys, you are finally tired of killing. You don't want to kill any more for the rest of your life. You then have found your "inner peace".
    Lol..that's epic!
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    as i get older ,to me it seems there is nothing more foolish or childish or selfish then making your goal of training to be the badest guy on earth. What really is the point? if you are a competitive athlete,or law enforcement,make sense. If you are neither,then make having a strong and healthy body your goal.
    I am Spartacus!

If you have used your "single leg" to take down people when you were young, you want to make sure that you can still use your "single leg" to take down a 20 years old when you are 80. There is a good reason for any old man to train through his old age. That old man wants to maintain his skill and doesn't want to lose to any 20 years old. "Maintain your skill" and "don't want to lose" are good motivation for MA training.
    nah. It's easier just to switch to Hane Goshi.

Good fighting is a byproduct of good training. As this video demonstrates, perfection of technique is what its all about.

"You hit like a girl!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eplL...endscreen&NR=1
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    as i get older ,to me it seems there is nothing more foolish or childish or selfish then making your goal of training to be the badest guy on earth. What really is the point? if you are a competitive athlete,or law enforcement,make sense. If you are neither,then make having a strong and healthy body your goal.

This doesn't mean don't spar and don't do partner training and application. All of those are part of the martial arts. And without them you aren't doing martial arts. so any good system will have the byproduct of teaching one to defend oneself. but to walk around all day constantly thinking i can kick this guys ass. this guys style sucks i could whip him is infantile. Beside the fact that there are many ways to kill someone. gun, knife hit them with a car. really if you are over 20 you should try to have a positive goal. everyone has a body and it is pretty dam important to have good health. so train realistically, with this goal in mind. just my though anyway.
    I think good kung fu training makes you smarter. Take this technique shown in this vid @ 1:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCEIPaI5KY

He uses it several times throughout the vid with different follow-ups. In the style I learned, we practiced a similar technique against a 2 handed shove to the chest. I tried to teach it to a friend who does muay thai. I sometimes forget that these techniques that I find easy to do, can be tricky for your average guy to pick up because you need to learn to open up the attacker's arms in two different directions. If you ever been on the receiving end, it makes you feel "empty" for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Some people don't live in Mayberry. Self defence and douchebags are not mutually exclusive. And if your goal was ever to be bad ass, you have a complex that most likely has simply been focused elsewhere once you realized you don't have what it takes to be a killer.
    i know a few boxers ,judo guys and wrestlers. they train hard. and don't talk about beating people in the street all day. they simply play their sport. i guess they could fight pretty well if it should ever happen

I have taught for years and I tell all new students, in my classes you will learn self confidence, discipline, anatomy, Buddhism, medicine, qigong, taji, and praying mantis. You can excel in any one of these teachings but you will learn all of them regardless.

It is up to the student to which their goal is or the "byproduct" as you say.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

My goal is to be the toughest guy in the nursing home.

SKM
    If they attack me, I will take an eye, break a finger, rip an ear, break a kneecap, whatever I can do to make them pay rent for my space." I would warn them that should they choose to attack me, win, lose, or draw, they will 'wear' me the rest of their life.
    Absolutely love this statement!

Before I fought someone even when I was working running security and bouncing at Night clubs, I would always warn them in some verbal way, felt it was only fair to give warning.....
    sometimes it was as simple as you should think this out.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by RickMatz View Post
    My goal is to be the toughest guy in the nursing home.
    Mine too

Let's hope we don't end up in the same facility.

Nurses would always be screaming "d@mnit, the old guys are fighting again!"

Look at how old these guys are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNYeQAmDqM

They were champions and fighters in their youth. They're still having fun. They're still formidable. This is my goal. I want to be rolling and fighting until the day they put me in the ground. Then I'll wrestle in heaven. Angels fight dirty. They're know to break hips to gain the advantage.

If you live somewhere where you get into a kung fu theater brawl every time you leave your home, then you should think about moving.

Sooner or later, you get shot.

I don't fight these days. I end the threat and move on.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries
    If you can still have this kind of flexibility through your old age, you should be proud of yourself. This is the Baji master 馬英圖 Ma Yin-To, the teaher who taught Baji in Nanking Central MA Institute. Even my teacher had learned Baji from him in .

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/3853/mayintu.jpg

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%...BB.B6.E6.94.AC
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-24-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

One teacher I had kept alluding that the higher purpose of training is most important. I found that to be disingenuous. The higher cannot exist truley without the "lower" . Its like learning how to write only to exercise your hand. It becomes devoid of purpose and empty. Whatever lessons gained by the struggle in the lower aspect would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    SKM

Before I fought someone even when I was working running security and bouncing at Night clubs, I would always warn them in some verbal way, felt it was only fair to give warning.....
    sometimes it was as simple as you should think this out.
    A doorman friend of mine says one of his colleagues just pulls his gumshield out of his pocket and sticks it in his mouth if a patron is getting a bit verbal. Never fails to calm the situation down apparently!